Sports coat?

Okay so here's the story. I don't wear suits, ever. Like maybe six times in my life. I am uncomfortable in them and feel like a general dunce.

I have never really had a need for one but have had the occasion I would have worn a sports coat to kind of bridge the gap between too casual but not too dressy. The job I'm currently working now as an EMS instructor has left me twice the past week at a last minute meeting that I needed a handy jacket to look more presentable.

Anyway, I've been looking at the Duluth trading sports coat, the lightweight presentation jacket looks pretty nice and rugged looking like I would like and may actually wear.

For those of you guys more versed in this attire can you comment on the coat I mentioned or give me other pointers?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to wear a suit for work on a semi regular basis so I'll throw my two cents in. It's all about fit IMO and each person is a little different. To me a more "manly" jacket that fits like a cardboard box looks more ridiculous than a well fitting sport coat from a "metro" brand. If the Duluth fits you right and you like it, I say go for it.

I'm assuming you don't want to spend a fortune but Orvis makes some classy stuff that's "outdoorsy".

More in my budget though, Eddie Bauer makes some decent looking options for the money. LL Bean is another option. If you time it right, Men's Wearhouse has some good sales. Best part, they will have something that actually fits your body type.

I Beam

FNG
I second what SLMTN said. Suits are what I call my "lawyer uniform" Here's the deal. Get something fitted to you. I would simply go to Mens warehouse or any other men's clothing store that specializes in suits like Joseph A Bank. It's all about what makes you happy and what you feel comfortable in. Brooks Brothers too, but they are pricey. Frankly, you are only paying for the name brand.
For me, I am a larger guy, so I have to get shirts, pants, jackets, etc. special ordered or fitted. You can get a nice jacket for less than 100 bucks. You can also spend upwards of how ever much money you've got.
Get a nice neutral colour jacket, something like a tweed (not Navy blue if they try to talk you into it) they get a few shirts to go with it. Ties optional.
Since this is "semi-casual" you'll want maybe something that goes with jeans, or whatever you want to wear.

WyoElk

WKR
I'd say nut up and buy a suit. There are plenty of events in life that you need or will need a suit for. I don't love wearing one either but there are times when you cannot be over-dressed, but you can definitely be under-dressed.

Beendare

WKR
A Sports coat is an essential piece as it dresses up jeans....and in general it classes things up.

It is as the poster above mentioned much about the fit and also about the fabric....so buying a Duluth canvas off the rack thing will probably miss on both accounts. Wool port coats wear like iron...and they always look good.

My advice; buy a nice wool port coat from a reputable shop; Mens Warehouse, Nordys...something like that. They will usually give you good advice. I would tell them you want something that is a classic look and not too 'skinny jeans' trendy.

another option is the western wear shops hve some nice wool sports coats that have an outdoor look.

ChrisS

WKR
Get a navy blazer with charcoal buttons and get a tailor to make alterations so that it fits you. It will go with anything (jeans, khakis, white shirt, blue shirt, check shirt, brown shoes, black shoes, boots, etc.) and it's timeless.

In this picture, Ted Cruz looks like a kid who borrowed his dad's suit for prom:
LL

You don't want to look like that. $30-50 for tailoring and you can make a flea market blazer look great. And knowing you look good makes it less likely you feel like a dunce.

16Bore

WKR
A cheap suit that fits looks better than a pricey one that doesn't. A fella has to OWN a suit. Have the thing tailored. And for the love of Pete, spend money on quality shoes and matching belt.

Don't puss out.

OP
F
Haha, thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll head over to a good shop and get me a quality set up.

Keep the advice coming.

Oh stay neutral /conservative on shirts whites and oxford blues, almost any color tie goes with those colors

jmez

WKR
Just go into a mens clothing store, any mentioned above, tell them what look you want. It is as easy as that!

A black suit and a gray, charcoal or navy sport coat/blazer are essential attire for a wide variety of situations. When the suit fits, you'll like the way you look. My suits are custom made by Hilburn. Most suits are "tailored" to fit the guy however most men (when properly measured) quickly learn their arms and legs are not the same length. J.Hilburn

Last edited:

I Beam

FNG
Here's my two cents (again) about a traditional blue sports jacket. It REALLY depends on what pants you've got on. If you wear blue pants, black pants, or jeans, the traditional blue blazer really doesn't work. If you're going with the whole entire look, like the picture of Trump posted, the pants more or less have to be a matching set.
So, think about what you'll be wearing 90% of the time with the sports jacket. You're an EMS so are you wearing blue pants already? Are they khaki?
I prefer something closer to what Professor Indiana Jones wears compared to what Trump is wearing for the application you described. That's just me, based on my preferences.
Every person is different. It has to speak to you and you alone. Definitely get it tailored.
It's kinda like backpacks. Some prefer 1 pack or another for a "do it all" pack. And ideally, you'd have multiple packs. Or a couple jackets, a couple suits, shirts and ties. etc. etc.

OP
F
Not so much for the clothes I have on then because I typically wear 5.11 ems cargo pants.

The idea was to get a pair of khakis, blue shirt and jacket to leave in my office for those surprise moments.

I'd also want the jacket to go with a pair of jeans.

texag10

WKR
Get a navy blazer with charcoal buttons and get a tailor to make alterations so that it fits you. It will go with anything (jeans, khakis, white shirt, blue shirt, check shirt, brown shoes, black shoes, boots, etc.) and it's timeless.

In this picture, Ted Cruz looks like a kid who borrowed his dad's suit for prom:
http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/2058198/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL[/I MG]

You don't want to look like that. [B]$30-50 for tailoring and you can make a flea market blazer look great. And knowing you look good makes it less likely you feel like a dunce.[/B][/QUOTE]

Very good advice. As long as the shoulders fit, everything else can be altered to fit well. If you're going to go to Jos A Bank type place or a department store, double check the fit on anything they give you. I have not had good luck on their salespeople trying to size me, and would've left with hideously fitting shirts and jackets on the times I've been forced to shop there.

Stick with navy first and charcoal gray second, they are the most versatile.