Spotter questions on optic size

Luked

WKR
My last time in CO OTC for Elk was my first hunting trip out west.
The area we hunted was somewhat open with quite a few old burns and also quite a bit of higher elevations that would work well for glassing.
Buddy that I went with had a spotter but never carried it as he didnt want to carry the weight.
I think us not doing more glassing and us doing more running around walking hurt us more than helped us.
So in 2024 im going back, going to the same unit where I at least have a little experience on knowing what some of the unit is like but am also planning to take a spotter.
I have never owned a spotter before and not something I have ever used hunting as most all of my hunting is here at home in MO for deer and turkey. Not a lot of use for a spotter.
Now with that said Im not planning on spending $2k-$3K on a spotter either just due to the amount that it would be used.
I am looking at one that has been suggested to be a decent spotter for the price.
The issue I have is the size.
One is a 15-45x65 and the other is a 20-60x85.
A bit of difference in price, but only about $200 so no issue there.
Would I be fine with the 15-45 or would i be better to get the 20-60? That is my main hang up on ordering one at this point.
So what is your alls opinion.

mthayr

WKR
1.) What's the weight difference?
2.) What's the eye relief difference?

More than 20-30X magnification and you probably are in the "judging trophy quality" territory. So if thats not important to you the lighter scope may win. If you plan on sitting behind the scope for longer periods of time, a better eye relief will help you stay in the scope for longer with less strain.

Have you actually looked through both?

sndmn11

WKR
The magnification is irrelevant. All things equal other than objective size, you will see the same things.

What matters is if you want to stop 5-20min earlier or not due to the image degradation and lack of light.

For years, my go-to setup was 8x32 binoculars and a Nikon ED50 spotting scope with a fixed 27X wide angle lens. It worked great, and as a bonus, the scope only weighs around a pound, so it wasn't a burden to pack. In 2019, my buddies and I did a DIY New Zealand hunt. I brought SIG 15x56s and another guy brought his 20-60X Swaro spotter. After the first morning, we never used the Swaros again. The 15Xs were incredible at spotting and even judging tahr out to stupid distances. After that, I stopped carrying a spotter and went to Swaro 15x56 binoculars. Unless you're judging sheep or ultra picky about antler size, I just don't find a spotter to be a worthwhile item to pack. A good set of 8Xs and 15Xs and a tripod is are I need. Were I starting over, I may go with 12x42 for a one-glass solution.

You can spot elk from miles away with quality binoculars on a tripod. I sold my spotter a few years ago due to lack of use.

The cheaper Kowa 55mm spotter is what I use for elk hunting.

Though, I think an alpha pair of 15x binos on a tripod would likely ‘good enough’ for your elk hunting, and would carry-over better to hunting fields and trying to pick apart deer in the Midwest.

Another option is renting whatever spotter you want from @Rent Outdoor Gear. I’ve done this in the past and they’re great to work with.

sndmn11

WKR
Though, I think an alpha pair of 15x binos on a tripod would likely ‘good enough’ for your elk hunting, and would carry-over better to hunting fields and trying to pick apart deer in the Midwest.
Especially when you digiscope and zoom in for a minute or two when you find something neat.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
The weight difference is
45 oz for the 15-45
70oz for the 20-60

Eye reliefe
15-45 is .75-.63
20-60 is .77-.70

No I have not looked through these.
Again I have never used a spotter before so this is all new to me.
These are Athlon Ares spotters