Spotting scope, glass vs reticle

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I really doubt it..... leupold don't make anything that will hang with a swaro.
Of course not. I have skepticism because of the vortex eyepiece--not the swaro body.

I would not assume good things of that combo. Basically assuming the vortex brings the system down to a Leupold mk4 level. Its an interesting option for sure

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
This is 1 reason why interchangeable eyepieces rule. At a certain distance all my primary scanning is with a spotter, I just switch eyes. Last year I definitely found more stuff in scopes than 'nocs, That's just me.

Don't have skepticism over the vortex gen 1 eyepiece, as it gives up nothing to the 30x fixed swaro eyepiece. Heck, the gen 1 razor trumps ANYTHING leupold has ever put out...

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't have skepticism over the vortex gen 1 eyepiece, as it gives up nothing to the 30x fixed swaro eyepiece.
If it truly gives up nothing to a swaro eyepiece then that answers my question about optical quality. That is impressive if true.

Forgive me for having a hard time believing it. This is the internet. I have used Viper HD spotters and they are dogwater, but I have also never compared eyepieces side by side. I will have to try it out.

Heck, the gen 1 razor trumps ANYTHING leupold has ever put out...
I agree to a point. I have compared mk4 directly to a gen1 Razor 16-48x. Optical quality was indistinguisable in all lighted conditions, but Razor had 3-5 minutes more low light usability.

To me the mk4/GoldRing is still the better hunting spotter as it wins in size, weight, reticle, eye relief, and eyebox each by a good margin.

I have access to both and never bring the Razor with.

Last edited: