SpotX 2 vs Garmin inreach (mini or explorer)

Swamplife

FNG
I have been reading reviews on both SpotX 2 and Garmin Inreach ( Mini and Explorer ) and am having a difficult time deciding which unit to get. My main use would be Elk hunting in Colorado and Idaho. I have never been Elk hunting but will be on public land and be out for 5 days away from the truck. Looking for best option from experienced guys who know what to trust.

muddydogs

WKR
Spot was first with the one way messenger, Delorme jumped ahead with the Inreach and Garmin improved upon the system while Spot floundered with there one way system and finally came out with there 2 way system. The Spot unit may be on par with the Inreach but the Spot satellite network is second class to the Iridium network.

There's a reason that forums like this one are loaded with Inreach information and questions while there is very little discussion about the Spot. If you want the best system out right now get an Inreach.

Biggest downfall of the SPOTX is it doesn't connect with your phone so everything has to be done on the unit, no weather information and very minimal navigation. All reports I have read say the Spot key board sucks, it's hard to use and buttons only work when they want to.

Personally having started out with the Spot units years ago then moving to the Inreach there was no comparison. I don't have any experience with the newer Spot's but at the present time I have no reason to make a switch as the Inreach has filled my 2 way communication need.

id450

WKR
The Gritty Bowman podcast just did a interview with Garmins product manager for In reach. He explains the pros\ cons and the interface with other devices. He also talks about why a guy may want a explorer vs a mini vs the new unit. 66I I believe it is? Also, I have a explorer for sale if your in the market. I’ve found I don’t really use it and my normal hunting area has pretty good cell coverage. I plan to just rent a sat phone if I feel I need one in remote country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

id450

WKR
The Gritty Bowman podcast just did a interview with Garmins product manager for In reach. He explains the pros\ cons and the interface with other devices. He also talks about why a guy may want a explorer vs a mini vs the new unit. 66I I believe it is? Also, I have a explorer for sale if your in the market. I’ve found I don’t really use it and my normal hunting area has pretty good cell coverage. I plan to just rent a sat phone if I feel I need one in remote country.

It’s Gritty episode 257

OP
S

Swamplife

FNG
Sorry for such a late response but been extremely busy at work. thank you for the tip on Gritty Bowman podcast. That was great info to be shared.

Skrub

FNG
Have the explorer+ and absolutely love it. I'll take the weight/size for the full screen any day.

brsnow

WKR
I run a mini/pair with phone. I use it weekly and it has held up great. The screen on the explorer isn’t big enough to compete with my iPhone screen for ease of use. I also like having the phone as back up gps for navigation if the mini failed.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Own the Garmin mini and love it. Have never used the Spot but I cant see any reason to move away from the Garmin. Lightweight, good battery life and easy to use.