Spring bears down

Living in California and with all of the bears we have here, not having a spring season is a real bummer! So when my good friend and hunting partner landed a job that got him out of California and into Idaho we were pretty excited to partake in some spring bear action.

We decided we were going to take a stab at our first time baiting bears in hopes that we would both bag at least one bear each or two if the stars aligned.

For me logistically every trip i made up there was a feat in itself! The only flight that worked required me to leave directly from work with all of my gear on Thursday evenings and head straight to the airport with no real time to spare. An accident on the freeway on the way there would have screwed me but somehow i got lucky each time.

The first thing we found out was that baiting was a TON of work! From acquiring bait barrels, setting them up for baiting, buying chain and locks finding somewhere to get bait, Hiking in the barrels, treestands, bait and game cams ect then re baiting as much as we could it became a full time job!

The first bear i took was quite small :) and to be honest i wouldn't have shot it if my bear size judgement wasn't so bad lol but hey a bear was down so fine by me.

The second bear i just shot on Saturday night to fill my second bear tag. This average boar came in right at last light on the last night i had to hunt before packing up and heading out Sunday morning.

New 01 050.jpgNew 01 044.jpgNew 01 047.jpgNew 01 016.jpg

Congrats man! Bears are really cool animals. Both of those look like color phase too.

Thanks! Yeah both are brown color phase. Of the three bears I have taken now all of them have been brown lol. I've been wanting a black one but can't seem to pull it off lol.

Back