Spyderco ceramic fixed blade

sndmn11

WKR
If you want to cut forever, here's your chance.

@feanor

Different application but I have been impressed with any ceramic cooking knives. They start very sharp but are a PITA once they dull a bit. But I’d like to see what you make with it.,,

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Different application but I have been impressed with any ceramic cooking knives. They start very sharp but are a PITA once they dull a bit. But I’d like to see what you make with it.,,
I returned them! I bought 4 and none were apexed. I tried sharpening with my bench grinder attachment thingy for the work sharp and I was moving material but couldn't get anything close to sharp.

So I returned 3 and sold the one I tried with on Facebook with a disclosure.

They looked cool, but I think you'd need to buy diamond belts to bevel into an apex or Spyderco would need to do a better job up front so one can maintain with a diamond stone.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Bummer. Thanks for the update.
Danny at RMSgear told me they could sharpen it and apparently have a lot of equipment from when they sharpen for Boker. If od have known that I'd have kept them.

My understanding is that Spyderco will have another release in a few weeks. They ran behind on "sharpening" but wanted to keep the release date they had publicized and sold what they had finished.

hwy1strat

WKR
I returned them! I bought 4 and none were apexed. I tried sharpening with my bench grinder attachment thingy for the work sharp and I was moving material but couldn't get anything close to sharp.

So I returned 3 and sold the one I tried with on Facebook with a disclosure.

They looked cool, but I think you'd need to buy diamond belts to bevel into an apex or Spyderco would need to do a better job up front so one can maintain with a diamond stone.
Did you use the belts that are specifically made for ceramic? I tried using the regular belts on a ceramic kitchen knife and there was stuff coming off but the blade never got sharp. I found that work sharp makes some special belts for ceramic knives and tried those out. They worked amazingly well and my kitchen knife is back to being razor sharp

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Did you use the belts that are specifically made for ceramic? I tried using the regular belts on a ceramic kitchen knife and there was stuff coming off but the blade never got sharp. I found that work sharp makes some special belts for ceramic knives and tried those out. They worked amazingly well and my kitchen knife is back to being razor sharp
I did not use diamond belts. 99% of the knives I "make" are not for me, and half of those are for charity auctions. I didn't want to buy special belts, and I didn't want someone to end up with something I made that is unusable without them buying special stuff.

If I didn't know there would be another release, I may not have returned them. For $150 each, I figured if d let some of the other Spyderco fans figure out what works and give their feedback in the meantime.