Stabilizer? Best

Brendan

WKR
Brand doesn't matter whatsoever unless it's a piece of junk.

Short stabilizers don't do any actual stabilizing, so I'd personally buy a kit with a 10" front and an 8" rear bar with quick disconnects. You can experiment with front and rear bar, and different weight to see what works for you.

I actually run a 14" front and a 10" rear. Doesn't bother me carrying it. The longer the bar - the less weight you need on the end.

dkime

WKR
I'm with @Brendan I run a 12 and an 8 with 4oz out front and a minimum of 8 on the back. Don't worry about brand, all the marketing in the world won't make a stabilizer any better at doing what it does. I actually built my own if it helps your decision process.

OP
D
Brand doesn't matter whatsoever unless it's a piece of junk.

Short stabilizers don't do any actual stabilizing, so I'd personally buy a kit with a 10" front and an 8" rear bar with quick disconnects. You can experiment with front and rear bar, and different weight to see what works for you.

I actually run a 14" front and a 10" rear. Doesn't bother me carrying it. The longer the bar - the less weight you need on the end.
Oh nice thanks both of you. I kinda thought really the brand wouldn’t matter and making your own actually sounds fun...

It depends on what type of hunting you plan on doing with it, and what types of accessories you have on your current setup.

I only ran a 6" Bee Stinger Microhex on my old Helix Ultra and had good luck with it, but I prefer less is more when it comes to stabilizers.

ejp5281

FNG
What length front stabilizer do people like to use for hunting? I currently use a short stabilizer that probably just does some noise reduction and not a lot of stabilizing. I primarily hunt whitetails from a treestand, but I am also going to start hunting elk. I also have never shot with a back stabilizer.

Stalker69

WKR
None here, find they are a waste of money for the most part ( unless of course your getting paid to use one)

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
None here, find they are a waste of money for the most part ( unless of course your getting to paid to use one)

Not true if you know how they work and experiment with them to find what works right. But, there's a lot more factors that go into it than most people realize. Relaxing at the range with no pressure vs. high pressure situation - different stabilization needs. Different holding weight - different stabilization needs. Pull through the shot or just sit in the valley - different stabilization needs. Different cam design and ATA - different stabilization needs.

Look at it this way - every single competitive archer would be using one 100% of the time, even if they weren't sponsored. You do need to spend the time to experiment to find what works though.

I will agree, the short ones most hunters use don't do much at all.

Stalker69

WKR
Exactly, I am talking hunting bow as I believe that is what this sight IS about. And really the only thing I my self am interested in. Any thing less then 14 inches, I find about useless, and I ain’t stalking ( I don’t sit in a tree or stand, or blind) up on any thing with anything longer then that. Tried as many as I could when setting up my last few bows, and if I buy a bow that balances well from the get go, I found I didn’t shoot any better without one. Now If it was “ target” shooting yes a whole different ball game, would not be on this sight , would be a totally different bow also. But you can still be very accurate at most yardages without one, with a bow that fits you.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Exactly, I am talking hunting bow as I believe that is what this sight IS about. And really the only thing I my self am interested in. Any thing less then 14 inches, I find about useless, and I ain’t stalking ( I don’t sit in a tree or stand, or blind) up on any thing with anything longer then that.

Again, personal preference, but I disagree again. I am currently running a 14" front with 4-6 ounces and a 10" rear with 6-8 ounces, and I carried that around the mountains chasing Elk for 10 days this year. My testing - definitely makes a difference. And I'm not talking fling a couple arrows, then make a youtube video about it. Along with subjective improvement, I shoot at paper 5-spot targets at different ranges so I have a visual record of the group size when I'm done. And the biggest difference is when you're shooting under pressure, elevated heart rate, or tired. Like when you have to make a shot on an animal under pressure.

I can even go back to 10" front and 8" rear and get the same stabilization, I just have to run more weight and prefer the longer front bar anyways for carrying over my shoulder.

I suppose one more note, you can't just throw on a bunch of extra weight and expect to be better, you do need to get used to the extra mass weight and get it "tuned" for how you shoot.

Stalker69

WKR
Well good for you, you ain’t going to throw a bunch of garbage at me as to why I need one and convince me it shoots better with one. I’ve been to Lancaster’s and tried a bunch of them. I shoot enough spots and 3-d summer leagues to now how well I shoot with and without them. I will continue to buy hunting bows that I shoot well without one, you keep doing you, and don’t worry your big head about me.

Brendan

WKR
I don't care what you use - more power to you if you prefer without. But you're the one who came out and said they're a waste of money when there's plenty of evidence otherwise.

Brendan

WKR
They are a waste of money to me, and maybe for others, ok. That ok ?

Fine by me if you consider them a waste of money for you. Plenty of examples of people not needing the extra accuracy or consistency or just prioritizing weight or challenge (i.e. stickbows).

But, this is a thread asking for advice on stabilizers, so don't get your feathers ruffled from people getting good advice on how to use them.

Stalker69

WKR
Yes sir ,CS.. Many like my self for 30 years felt like you have to have one, as I am sure there are many that still feel that way. I admit, it felt weird at first, after I realized I was shooting a league without one. Hell I wouldn’t have considered shooting without one up until then. Spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on bars and weights, and removable and adjustable mounts, and side bars And after freaking out that I didn’t have one on realized I was shooting as well as I did with one. Still shot the same scores I normally shot in the league. And that is when I “ experimented” and realized not every one of my bows required one. So as I became less brand loyal and started shooting “ other” bows found I liked different manufactures some times, the bows that balanced best, weren’t top heavy like so many are, shoot better for me. So I am just saying don’t be afraid to try shooting without one, you may be surprised. Is that ok to say ? Does that explain it a little better ? Sorry for voicing my “ experience”. But some times if you step out of the box, you may discover new things.

Last edited:

Pramo

WKR
Back to the post at hand

I run 10 front and 8 back and have settled on bee stingers just cause I have a bunch of weights for them and can adjust for balance. I can get good side to side balance and minimize pin float and still do all my normal hunting without them getting in the way. Side to side balance to me is the most important for quick shots on game.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Quattro 11'' and 8'' with a trophy ridge quick disconnect. I run the 11'' on the front with 6oz and the 8' with 4oz out back I believe. I shoot insanely better with the extra weight, especially when reaching out a bit further.

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a crossroads stabilizer and I am s pleased with it. Not sure how practical it will be hunting