Stalker Stickbows????

Same here. My 54 lb stalker is dialed and so is my 51lb thunderchild.

I have two new 48 lb bows to tune a stalker and a thunderchild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received my new jackal yesterday and got to play with it some. I got her braced up and letting the string stretch. 60 inch 48lbs ACS limbs. Stabilized mango and G10. Spalted mango for the limbs.

b2bfc1c4ced4e3bc2c59ac9fd1d9eee6.jpg

d933c8e6ff47a4b33b195e1e0dad9dde.jpg

430b10645ff00a00fe442018461d222e.jpg

af69877a6896c10138b7b662ae227283.jpg

That's gorgeous Brother

View attachment 588916

If I can get this bad boy quiet, I would hunt with it. First time owning these Borders. Smoothest drawing limbs I’ve ever shot….and fast as hell…but a tad noisy.
First session with them…..its too close to hunt season to switch my setups….
What is your arrow setup and weight currently? Draw weight?

Few easy things to check or do if you haven’t already is check the brace height, be sure your limb bolts are snug, some string silencers might help a little and will not really effect much on your shot.

Pending your arrow setup, heavier is likely going to be needed to quiet it down and a little bit might go a long ways. If you can get your arrow setup balanced and a bit heavier, again, might not change much on your shot. A knock weight and/or collar or weight up front if your spine allows it.

Mine was a little noisy for my first setup, I was in the same boat with limited time before the season to make big changes. I was able to add a little weight up front and lighted knocks and wraps in the back to counter my arrow, it’s was slightly weak spined when I did that but still flew well and got me thru the season to get a stiffer spine setup. Impact going from a 350 spine to a 300 and up about 50 grains total only changed impact past 25 yards and I showed a dramatic difference in noise.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I know a heavier arrow always makes any bow quieter.

This riser with Uukhas or Nika’s and the same arrow is dead quiet.

If I wanted to shoot a heavier arrow…these limbs are fantastic…but I don’t.

TX_Diver

WKR
Yeah, I know a heavier arrow always makes any bow quieter.

This riser with Uukhas or Nika’s and the same arrow is dead quiet.

If I wanted to shoot a heavier arrow…these limbs are fantastic…but I don’t.

What limbs are they? I went by Border and met Sid when I was in Scotland a few months ago. Cool shop and it got me curious to try some of their limbs one day...

Beendare

WKR
What limbs are they? I went by Border and met Sid when I was in Scotland a few months ago. Cool shop and it got me curious to try some of their limbs one day...
I got the 7.2's, 44#'s.

Heres my comments on them after playing around for a few days;

Fwiw, Im going to chime in here with my limited experience. I bought a set of Border 7.2s and have been playing with them For the last 3 days.

They are easier to tune and set up than I thought. They do require a longer string, my 19” riser with longs typically use a 60 3/4” string, these require a 62 3/4” string.

(BTW, thanks to Draven O for his advice on setting these up- he made it a breeze)

They run at a lower BH Than a conventional recurve.

The draw on these is the smoothest of any trad bow I’ve ever tried- its amazing. The front loading is greatly exaggerated…I barely noticed- super smooth.

These limbs are rocket ships compared to anything else…and I have Uukha 80%- these are noticeably faster…and by that you can’t help but say- wow.

They need a heavier arrow spine- the same arrow as my hot shot Uukhas was borderline weak.

They are much more draw length dependent…that said, mine felt great at FD…not light or mushy….but not a lot more pressure on your fingers like conventional limbs. Instead of building up pressure ( stacking) like a conventional limb…..its an even pressure. I like it.

I shot mine with multiple arrows and no limb savers or string puffs; light 8.7 gpp arrow 435g, a 499g -10gpp, and my old 600g arrow, 12gpp.

These limbs love heavier arrows. I was getting a fairly loud twang after the shot with the 9gpp arrows on a riser that is darn quiet with conventional limbs and the same arrow nothing on the string. It was significant. The 10gpp arow was better, tolerable but not quiet. The 12gpp arrow was quiet enough to hunt with…and I will be doing further testing later after hunt season adding string silencers and such.

In a nutshell….I was blown Away

Beendare

WKR
Don't you just love how easy it is to change up these ILF rigs?

I put the Nika limbs back on my Stalker riser.- a solid 2 minutes and I was up and running. The difference at FD is a lot more weight on my fingers- felt more like a longbow vs a recurve.

I like the way the Borders let me expand into my release without that feeling the string wants to rip out off your fingers.

My current 340's I want to hunt with are a little bit weak for the Borders....and I don't want to switch everything up with an elk hunt in 3 weeks.....so the borders will sit it out....not sure If I will keep them or not.

Grechrist

FNG
I have owned two bows from South, a Wolverine and a Coyote. The Wolverine was one of the best bows I have ever owned and wish I would not have parted with it. I have owned Schafer’s and pretty much everything else and it was right there.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned two bows from South, a Wolverine and a Coyote. The Wolverine was one of the best bows I have ever owned and wish I would not have parted with it. I have owned Schafer’s and pretty much everything else and it was right there.
Ya I have one as well. Was my first “ custom bow” 45lb at my 26 inch draw length, 58 inch recurve. Last few years been shooting my coyote with acs longbow limbs. It’s my everyday bow. I picked up my wolverine last week and proceeded to bust nocks at 20 yards. Bow is so smooth and accurate. Might have to take it out again this year and share the love.

ScottinPA

WKR
My youngest son wanted to try one and South wasn’t able to make ETAR this year so I got one sent for a test drive. Both my sons, one of their friends, and I got to shoot it a bunch. 60” Wolverine 42@28 with bamboo n carbon. Fast, quiet, and accurate.
It’s headed back today but one son is saving up to buy one.

ozyclint

WKR
If I can get this bad boy quiet, I would hunt with it. First time owning these Borders. Smoothest drawing limbs I’ve ever shot….and fast as hell…but a tad noisy.
First session with them…..its too close to hunt season to switch my setups….
It'll be limb tip vibration. I have a Black Douglas with Hex6 BB2 limbs and it was louder than I liked.

Did all the usual stuff- velcro in string grooves, catwhiskers, heavy arrows, blah blah. One day I was sitting down with it laying on my lap on its side plucking the string and noticed the limb tips vibrating. There was a pair of socks on the floor so I draped them over the limb tips. Instant silence, BAM! It was a beautiful moment.
It was then I knew the tips needed dampening. I now use a piece of black latex tubing slid over the tip and over hanging about 3/4". This dampens the tip vibration and the noise is gone and serve double purpose as tip protectors.

I'd bet my left nut if you do the sock thing you'll see the same result and involuntarily smile. CH limbs are probably worse than my Black Douglas limbs with their more extreme recurves.

I think the super curve borders are prone to more tip vibration because there is so much of the limb that is in contact with the string at brace height. Lots of limb hanging out there to vibrate.

Last edited: