Steven’s .410 Stock Mod Question

UA_Blake

FNG
I won a Steven’s 301 .410 in a raffle and planned to buy a youth stock for my son. After some research I see replacement parts in general are hard to find for these shotguns. Thinking of cutting down the stock so my boy is able to shoot it. Anyone have any tips or advice on not screwing this up?

Tod osier

WKR
I won a Steven’s 301 .410 in a raffle and planned to buy a youth stock for my son. After some research I see replacement parts in general are hard to find for these shotguns. Thinking of cutting down the stock so my boy is able to shoot it. Anyone have any tips or advice on not screwing this up?

I've cut a lot of stocks, it is easy, but there are things to think about. I always use a chop saw with a good quality trim blade.

Make sure there are no screws or bolts where you plan to cut. :)

When you put the stock down flat on the table with cheekpiece against the fence, they often are not level because of the taper in the stock (fatter at butt). If you don't shim the front up so the centerline is level, you get an angled cut.

Adjust the miter angle of the cut in line with the but pad.

I always tape the joint with blue painters tape where I cut to reduce chipping - don't know if it helps, but I've had good results.

Looking for recoil pads (and this is probably the most useful info I have)... download the limbsaver recoil pad catalog. You can match up the newly cut butt with a premade pad for some other firearm that is close. Sure beats grinding a grind to fit pad and having a cushy pad is never a bad thing - even on a 410.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I've cut a lot of stocks, it is easy, but there are things to think about. I always use a chop saw with a good quality trim blade.

Make sure there are no screws or bolts where you plan to cut. :)

When you put the stock down flat on the table with cheekpiece against the fence, they often are not level because of the taper in the stock (fatter at butt). If you don't shim the front up so the centerline is level, you get an angled cut.

Adjust the miter angle of the cut in line with the but pad.

I always tape the joint with blue painters tape where I cut to reduce chipping - don't know if it helps, but I've had good results.

Looking for recoil pads (and this is probably the most useful info I have)... download the limbsaver recoil pad catalog. You can match up the newly cut butt with a premade pad for some other firearm that is close. Sure beats grinding a grind to fit pad and having a cushy pad is never a bad thing - even on a 410.
I agree with all of advice on cutting stock, but be sure to check for proper fit first. You need to check the length of pull. Rather than explain it, take a minute and look for video on proper shotgun fit. If you want to adjust either drop at heal or at comb that is a different animal all together and might be best left to expert. Remember cut a little at a time. If you do take off more than needed that can be adjusted with butt pad. Measure twice, cut once.

Wvroach

WKR
As stated above, cut it down. I still have my first .410 my dad cut down to fit me. It isn't like you are hacking apart a piece of fine art, as long as it fits your boy well he will enjoy it.

Take your time, figure out what length he needs. Understand that as you shorten it you are also narrowing it down. You might have to adjust your anchor points for the recoil pad, plastic weld or similar would work.

Good luck

weaver

WKR
That stock is definitely not designed for youth.
I cut one down for my my niece to use.
Remove butt plate and detach from action.
I cut it with a table saw, butt of gun square against the fence.
Limbsaver airtech slip on pad size small fit perfectly and it also covers the cut if it chips or anything.

OP
UA_Blake

UA_Blake

FNG
Thanks for the advice. Cut it down this morning and it fits him great. We will go put a few rounds through it this afternoon. Youth turkey season will be a blast!

I cut one down for my daughter the same way. Make sure you save the cut piece. Not too hard to bondo it back on.