sticky tread request

Can someone come up with a sticky about how the temperature ratings translate into real world. When its 50 degrees outside should I be using a 50 degree bag?

Apollo117

WKR
Too many variables to tell people what bag rating they need.
Yes. I agree. The topic of bag rating is extremely subjective.

The gist of it is some companies have accurate bag rating and other companies do not. On top of that, each person will have a different opinion of the same bag.

I could see a sticky with a basic explanation of EN ratings system for bags that use it and a general thought about how the big players who don't use it compare being helpful.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say there are to many variables to try and give an accurate rating for people. I only know of a couple companies that actually send their bags across the pond to have their ratings tested. Most companies just use their fill weight as a gauge and stick a number on it. Then you have hot sleepers, cold sleepers, people who layer clothes inside their bag, etc.

I am generally a cold sleeper and I generally have to wear layers inside a 20 degree bag in 20 degree temps. Then I have buddies who do just fine under the same conditions.

Jimbob

WKR
You need to experience it yourself to find out. Are you a cold or warm sleeper? what pad are you using? what climate are you using it in? all of those variables will effect what bag works for you.

Also, higher quality bags will be warmer than less quality bags at the same temp rating.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Working on exactly this test tonight. The only way to really know. Stone Glacier’s New Chilkoot 15F Sleeping Bag test
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ot-15F-Sleeping-Bag-test.118571/&share_type=t

Also if you go to our homepage and search under the sleep systems, you’ll see Matt Wymer did a two-part article on this exact subject last fall. Like everybody said, it’s a little bit subjective depending on the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Too many variables to tell people what bag rating they need.
Yep....I'm a warm sleeper so I'm fine in a quality 20 deg bag ....where my one buddy needs a zero deg bag in the same conditions [that whimp /grin..... NOT! He has no body fat]

Then you will find some of the cheap bags [like BA and Kelty] don't live up to their ratings...where others like WM outperform their rating.

Best strategy IMO is to figure out of you are a warm or cold sleeper- first- to decide if you can skimp on quality or rating. Cold sleepers will want to err on the side of quality and/or higher rating.

skierhs

WKR
Unless your going with a top shelf bag such as western mountaineering be weary of the rating. I have a antelope bag(their own 5 degree rating) which I’d be very comfortable taking below that but I have other 25 degree bags that I wouldn’t trust below freezing.

The bag manufacturer plays a huge roll in it as well as if you sleep cold or warm; what r value your sleeping pad is; what kind of weather you’ll be camping in; and what kind of shelter you have(tipi, 4 season, bivy, ultralight).

EDW

FNG
For many years I was happy with a 20 degree bag. I was in my 30-40s and was in excellent shape, running daily, light weight lifting. These workouts kept both my lung an circulation in excellent condition. I believe this aided in keeping warm during cold conditions. I frequently slept in this bag in temps much colder than its rating. As I got older exercising has not been as previously described and as a result I have gone to a colder rated bag. I believe you are better off with a colder rated bag that you can leave unzipped than a bag that is to cold.