Strange Observation in Idaho

so you should be more upset with idaho for that quota being too high, not with the people who are just utilizing the opportunity.

I am and voice my concern at every meeting I can. Also the fact that we shoot spikes. Our non res areas should be a small general over the counter with quotas set lower then they are with a larger area of true LE areas. I have zero issue with non res, even though the number of non res I see has seemed to increase exponentially.

541hunter

WKR
Where I hunted in Oregon this year I saw more Idaho plates than Oregon. Of course I saw some Washington and California plates as well. Oregon offers OTC archery and rifle bull and deer tags. Come hunt Rosie's and blacktails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR
Also you can read for yourself here,https://legislature.idaho.gov/wp-co...rces/4-013-D.Fish and Game, Department of.pdf

But it doesn't appear that any funding for the IDaho department comes from your income or property taxes. On the other hand the state does receive federal dollars through the Pittman Robertson act. In essence not only do nr hunters help fund fish and game through the tag fees but also through taxes we all pay on hunting related purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I agree the growth of NR hunters is disconcerting, but I don't think punitive action is the answer. All I can think is just how important it is for all of us to be involved in improving hunting opportunities in all states. It's easy to act like the actions of other states don't affect you if you don't hunt there, but this a perfect example of the consequences. I get that other states often have a lot more demand based on their higher populations of people, and that some struggle with adequate habitat, but the other side of things is the whole "managing for quality" crock. I want all the organizations I maintain a membership with to make opportunity the center focus of their work, regardless of which state that opportunity applies to.

CampCook

FNG
In the last 8 years I have hunted Washington, Wyoming, Idaho and I leave for Colorado on Saturday. Those are all in addition to hunting here in Oregon. The reason I go to other states is because I love to hunt, be in the outdoors and see different parts of the country. I work hard and save to pay for the trip as well as the license and tag fees, but to have to pay an additional tax on top of all of that because of where I live is absurd to me. Everyone complains about big government, increased taxes, wasteful government spending and my question is, "Where does it stop?"

Do we add additional tax at the gas pumps for vehicles from other states?
Do we add additional tax at the stores for food, ice, etc, if you're from out of state?

That's my two cents and I work for a city government that waste and mismanages tax dollars, so why give government more.

ianpadron

WKR
I think it should be a wake up call for states like WA to get their shit together. This state has everything necessary to have an IMPRESSIVE herd of elk and mule deer every single year but the WDFW is damn near retarded in how they manage our resources.

There is no reason WA shouldn't be a premier Mule Deer destination...except the fact that the tribes are largely unregulated and they hand out doe tags like candy.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

BullElk

FNG
Idaho is rapidly becoming the next Colorado. in part due to forums like this, social media, and the lack of opportunity in the bordering states...

if everyone stopped blabbing about Idaho and where to hunt etc on here it would help a bit. unfortunately its only going to get worse. the rules and regs are changing yearly. its only a matter of time until the OTC thing goes away. for that matter it already did in one zone this year.

ill continue to go farther and deeper than any Res or NR goes and be successful. in my experience MOST don't get farther away than a mile from a road anyway.

the application for the big 3 just changed as well for Idaho. the influx of applicants for that is going to sky rocket. good thing is unless they change the current rule they wont be able to apply for any other controlled hunt ;)

BullElk

FNG
No one expects to not see another person while out but when their are vehicles stacked at nearly every trailhead and 1 or 2 vehicles being from Idaho. I feel that's a problem,
is that the same stance you had last year?

Chad E

WKR
These threads always amaze me I totally understand being a resident hunter and not wanting to be encroached on or overrun with other hunters. It's natural you have a good thing going and you don't want it to end. What I don't understand is how some people turn it to a management discussion and suggest everyone should would just stay home if their home herds were managed differently. I hunt out of state for a lot more reasons than how my resident herds are managed. I love the adventure and seeing new places. Regardless of the "quality" of opportunity in my own state I plan to go hunt out of state and see new places as long as I possibly can. I have no problem paying a higher premium to do so as a non resident but at some point the "we don't want you here in our spot" crowd gets really old. The idea of taxing people based on what critters live in there state when going out of state is laughable at best.

I think it should be a wake up call for states like WA to get their shit together. This state has everything necessary to have an IMPRESSIVE herd of elk and mule deer every single year but the WDFW is damn near retarded in how they manage our resources.

There is no reason WA shouldn't be a premier Mule Deer destination...except the fact that the tribes are largely unregulated and they hand out doe tags like candy.

The concept of "better management" gets thrown around a lot as a buzz word but I think half the guys using it have different meanings to it and don't even understand what they are implying. To some people better management would be older age class animals and to others its more animals period so they can get a tag every year. We throw around "better management" like its a one size fits all approach to everything where giant bucks abound and tags are plentiful. Some states manage for opportunity and some states manage for quality. In your example of Washington the fact you can buy over the counter tags for mule deer would be seen as a great thing by a large number of hunters. Other guys would rather see a very limited entry system with draw tags that would lead to older age classes, bigger antlers, but much reduced opportunity. Finding an optimal balance is difficult.

ianpadron

WKR
These threads always amaze me I totally understand being a resident hunter and not wanting to be encroached on or overrun with other hunters. It's natural you have a good thing going and you don't want it to end. What I don't understand is how some people turn it to a management discussion and suggest everyone should would just stay home if their home herds were managed differently. I hunt out of state for a lot more reasons than how my resident herds are managed. I love the adventure and seeing new places. Regardless of the "quality" of opportunity in my own state I plan to go hunt out of state and see new places as long as I possibly can. I have no problem paying a higher premium to do so as a non resident but at some point the "we don't want you here in our spot" crowd gets really old. The idea of taxing people based on what critters live in there state when going out of state is laughable at best.

The concept of "better management" gets thrown around a lot as a buzz word but I think half the guys using it have different meanings to it and don't even understand what they are implying. To some people better management would be older age class animals and to others its more animals period so they can get a tag every year. We throw around "better management" like its a one size fits all approach to everything where giant bucks abound and tags are plentiful. Some states manage for opportunity and some states manage for quality. In your example of Washington the fact you can buy over the counter tags for mule deer would be seen as a great thing by a large number of hunters. Other guys would rather see a very limited entry system with draw tags that would lead to older age classes, bigger antlers, but much reduced opportunity. Finding an optimal balance is difficult.
The problem in WA is that we don't have the numbers OR the quality.

I couldn't care less about the opportunity to have a tag each year when all I see are 2 and 3 year old 130" dinks. And that's in the backcountry in basins that should be LOADED.

Guys here are too trigger happy and swat the first legal buck they see. Add in the last few winters and the thousands of doe tags they give out each year...and it's bad juju man.

HookUp

WKR
Idaho has a huge elk herd and less people than most states. Look at the success rates in most units, these non-residents are doing as piss poor job of filling these $400 tags. I get it no one likes non-residents in their states. I am a fishing guide and the river is stuffed with guide boats and out of state clients catching salmon, should they pay more to?

As populations increase so will the amount of hunters in all states, welcome to the future.

Swede

WKR
I hunted Idaho for the first time this year. I went on an invitation. I also thought it a good challenge to see if I could get an elk in an unknown area. The bow hunter success rate in the unit I hunted has been under 15%. Oregon has several OTC units, with significant public land, and a better success rate. The fun of hunting Idaho was hunting with friends. I had no (zero) problem going where there were no other hunters, so crowding was no problem.
Many years I have shared a camp in Oregon with out of State hunters. It has always been my plan and objective to make them feel welcome. Everyone of these nonresidents have been good sports, and careful to leave the State as they found it. They were respectful of the land and resources. I don't blame them for any lack of success on my part. I don't claim they are crowding me out, or they aren't paying their fair share.
Hunting in Oregon is expensive too. It is very similar to the cost of hunting Idaho. We too have a 30 day regular archery season and late season archery tags are as easy as applying for them. The cost of applying is $8.00 for the late season hunts if I remember correctly. We have units where the hunting success is as good or better as the unit I hunted in Idaho. Check Oregon out, and if you choose to hunt here feel welcome. Best Wishes. I promise I won't complain about you being here or that you got an elk.
BTW: I reduced the elk population in Idaho by one. I hope you don't miss it too much. If you do, send me $1,000.00 plus shipping to cover all of my hunting/shipping costs, and I will gladly send you the meat.

id450

WKR
Yes it was over run with people who are from out of state. I am really torn on this one to be honest. They are hunting Idaho because the regs and opportunities in their own states are bad. So they are coming here and making it less enjoyable for the residents who fund the state treasury.

This will come off as very ranty but so be it. Personally I think Idaho should charge an additional tax on Elk/Mule deer tags to all out of state residents who who's home states have elk/mule deer. This wouldn't impact the majority of folks out east but would hopefully slow down the CA/WA/OR crowd. Ideally I would make this tag hurt quite a bit, like $500-$1000. This would hopefully call attention the the poor management of the home states. It isn't like as an ID resident I am going to have a great opportunity to hunt OR/WA/CA.

I’m sorry but that’s laughable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
I will say that our neighbors from Oregon and Washington stayed in that camp spot a few days over their stay limit, which was not too high on my list of things to bitch about considering how far they had come and how long they had been living in a wall tent that month I didn't blame them for not wanting to move with only a few days left of their hunt. but those fellas kept a very quiet and clean camp and waved every time we passed them on the road. It was nice to see, as unfortunately it's usually residents I see doing the stupid stuff. My main thing is respect for the land, even if you wanna be a jerk to me at least pick up your litter and we will be ok. But these guys left me with no complaints, other than the day they were practicing their bugles in camp. F*** that gets me mad. I've seen bulls come over the hill and bugle back until they see the trucks and campers and fires and then I run into those guys the next day and their just so surprised how the rut seemed to turn off so quickly and they weren't hearing bugles anymore.

- Jesse

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Palerider,
Per your post on the first page (didn't read any others), please accept my apology as a non-resident. I have shot a bull 3 out of the last 4 years. Each year I spent a meager $600 for each tag...even for the one I didn't punch. I feel guilty for patronizing your state for the wildlife, gas & food. I even had the nerve to get a buddy into hunting up there to tag his first ever elk. This year I was an even bigger ass and brought my kid on her first ever big game hunt. As allowed...I bought her non-resident tag for the resident price. The guilt is crushing me. Next year if someone slashes the tires on my truck, I will understand.

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
I think its comical that anyone would think that neighboring states would give a shit about what another state thinks of their big game management.

I moved to Idaho for a reason from Utah, for the hunting.

I also did not see more than one person during my OTC elk hunt, and had an amazing hunt.

Aculous

FNG
Palerider,
Per your post on the first page (didn't read any others), please accept my apology as a non-resident. I have shot a bull 3 out of the last 4 years. Each year I spent a meager $600 for each tag...even for the one I didn't punch. I feel guilty for patronizing your state for the wildlife, gas & food. I even had the nerve to get a buddy into hunting up there to tag his first ever elk. This year I was an even bigger ass and brought my kid on her first ever big game hunt. As allowed...I bought her non-resident tag for the resident price. The guilt is crushing me. Next year if someone slashes the tires on my truck, I will understand.

Just buy an Idaho plate and a native sticker good to go. Look you spent money on camo for your jacket and pants why not your truck? if you want to hunt Colorado though I would recommend adding a subaru to the formula for authenticity.

I've been deer hunting CA (Mendocino National Forest) for 8 years. My first time hunting deer in CA was similar to my first time hunting Idaho in 2015 as it relates to seeing other hunters -- it was quite nice and pleasant.

The fundamental problem is that the economy is doing well especially for coastal people who work in tech and healthcare. This year was an absolute zoo on opening weekend in Mendocino near Yolla Bolly Wilderness. Several instances of other hunters walking through our camp and saying "are you hunting down here?" or "hey are hunting here? can you pull your truck forward so we can pull in and park down there?". Madness.
The forests are turning into Disneyland. I miss the days of 2009-2012 when traffic was light due to bad economy, the ski resorts in Tahoe were pleasant, and the forests were more empty.

I'm very appreciative of all that Idaho provides. I was invited by locals and will be returning next year to backpack hunt. I'm sorry in advanced, but Idaho is the best state I've visited in the lower 48.