Stryker Vs. Stryker XL

For those of you who have owned a Kifaru Gen 1 Stryker and succumbed to buying a new Stryker XL....was it worth it? I am considering this pack but seeing some really nice Gen 1 models for sale for half the price.

Your thoughts?

Blessings~

prm

WKR
I like the pocket on the side of the XL. Otherwise they are a little different but its hard to say one is truly better than the other. Depending on how you‘ll use it, the XL may not be an improvement at all.
Had they not come out with the XL I would happily have done all my hunting with the Gen 1.

Hellbender?

I just saw that...nice pack.

I guess that does it for this thread...
Looks like a Stryker xl with a grab it sewn in… does look like a nice bag, but you may be able to save some money if you find a deal on a Stryker xl and add a grab it

That’s how my Stryker xl is setup, and can’t picture a better day pack

Hellbender is a bit bigger, has xpac on shelf and instead of molle attachments. Big bellowed pocket on the back. Not having an xl, I’m debating hard between the hellbender and xl. I would have already pulled the trigger on the xl but am waiting to see the hellbender.

The straight jacket is a pretty cool bag too, tons of versatility.. couple belt pockets/other pockets and a grab it and it’s a Jack of many trades… I don’t know I would have chosen it over my Stryker xl if it had been available then, but it is a cool bag depending on your needs

GeoFish

FNG
I got a new Stryker yesterday. I wanted two pockets on the front and I need the mollie for a saddle platform pouch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-152139_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-152139_Gallery.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 120

tracker12

WKR
Back to the original post. Are the side pockets a game changer. I actually like the smaller lighter Stryker but the side pockets would be nice for tripod and scope.

Burtz

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Stryker. Just got the XL this week. I love the bigger bag. Was tired of clipping in my 95x marsupial spotter case to the side. Just want to be able to put it in the main bag. The bladder sleeve on the XL is going to suit this need well.

Hellbender seems to offer end user less configuration. It also seems like the bane’s big brother + cargo panel. Not hating, just don’t think the hype is going to live up like the Stryker XL

rbljack

WKR
following this one because I thought the stryker xl was my next bag. Ive got a reckoning for extended trips, but the stryker xl seems like a great day pack at less weight then my reckoning. I gotta say though....im SO glad I went with my reckoning as my first pack. Its worked for everything from day hunts, extended hunts, shed trips and spring turkey.

strongarm

FNG
For those of you who have owned a Kifaru Gen 1 Stryker and succumbed to buying a new Stryker XL....was it worth it? I am considering this pack but seeing some really nice Gen 1 models for sale for half the price.

Your thoughts?

Blessings~

@Huntingfarandwide

I can’t speak to your exact question as I haven’t owned a Gen 1 Stryker, I have the Stryker XL.

Any answer to your question really depends on your use. I was very worried about the XL capacity not being big enough for later season hunting because of layers. After receiving, however, I was surprised about it’s overall volume which was more than anticipated. For colder weather it does fall a little short, but it’s doable. I’m not sure I’d feel the same with the Gen 1. But your typical weather and style may negate the slight difference in volume in terms of one over the other.

The Gen 2 does have a larger load sling. This makes camp bag and treestand hauling more comfortable than the Gen 1. That seems like a moderate nudge to the XL over the Gen 1. But I honestly don’t think it’s a huge difference at the end of the day.

The biggest difference between the two for me are the side pockets on the XL. That allows me to more easily take my tripod and spotter than it would be for Gen 1. I don’t have to change anything on the pack, I just drop in the tripod and spotter (85mm) and strap in. If you don’t use a tripod and spotter, much less difference between the two.

I do most times have a Sherman pocket on the Stryker XL, but you can do the exact same with Gen 1.

Had the Hellbender been available at the time, I almost certainly would have picked that pack over the Stryker XL due to 1) the larger main bag capacity and 2) no Molle webbing in the cargo area.

I first thought all the Molle was a little excessive. I don’t care about weight the way some of the weight weenies claim some of the Kifaru packs are pounds heavier due to Molle, I just didn’t think I’d use it. That stated, I do find myself I using the Molle way more than I thought! I sometimes carry portable waders in a Molle Sustainment pouch as they fit perfectly within; I attach that to the inside panel as I only use them at deeper stream crossings. I’ve also used Kifaru pouches in there, too, it keeps the pack more streamlined. I even leave a couple grimlocks in there for random strapping, so I’ve come to like the Molle and no difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 Strykers there.

Can’t hurt to pick up a Gen 1 for a good deal. Depending on your use, you may find it entirely functional for your needs for about as affordable as you can get into a Kifaru pack. If not, a few pockets here and there can improve it, plus you’ll know more of what you want in any future bags for very little initial cost.