Supplements

Manosteel

WKR
What Supplements is everyone using while training?

I usually take Vit C and a multi-vit pills - take daily
Whey isolate protein powder to keep protein intake at around 1gr/lbs of body weight.

I have tried everything under the sun in the 90's and now want to add more to help improve performance and recovery

Thinking of adding a
MRP - like Muscle MLK or Lee Labrada (I do a lot of traveling so easy meal on the go)
Amino acid complex powder during/after workouts - (The big 3 BCAA - L-Valine;Leuceine & Isoleucine)
used above with excellent results before

and I was thinking of adding a Nitric Oxide booster pre-workout for increase bloodflow/oxygen to muscles and maybe a pre-workout energy supplement.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like wilderness athlete. Their Hydrate & Recovery and their Energy & Focus are awesome. It will cover alot of your needs. BCAA's, vitamins, ect. Also the E & F is great for a boost before a work out.

I have a close personal friend who is currently coming into the industry. Chek out backcountry laboratories. The guys are all vets and one was/is a professional Ufc fighter and coach.

http://www.getbcl.com/

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Brock, you guys get all the good stuff south of the 49th parallel. With the crapy exchange rate and ridiculous S/H & Duty fees they charge us in Canada it makes it way to costly, and as far as I know Mtn Ops and Wilderness Athelet don't have a Canadian distributor., both have products I would love to try. jay I will check out ur link.

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Brock about the hydrate and recover and energy and focus, awesome stuff. I was drinking an energy drink a shift but am done with that, the energy and focus works better for me and I feel great instead of crashing later. I'm about a week into the 28 day challenge they offer and like the rest of the products that come with that.

Jay585

FNG
After doing the same thing you did (supplements to improve performance), I have found that improving performance and recovery can be attained via a good nutrition plan, a good exercise plan, and adequate rest periods.

That said, creatine is something I'd take for recovery purposes as well as BCAA's (since I practice fasting). Multivitamins, fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D as pre-bed supps.

Magnesium supposedly helps improve sleep (as does ZMA), and is necessary as an electrolyte supplement since I follow a low carb diet. Research has been showing that most humans are deficient in Vitamin D, so that's why I take that (since I don't eat lots of fish).

Aside from that, I wouldn't waste my money on anything else, I'd just buy good quality food, and eat more of it. IMO, Unless you're bodybuilding, supplements are generally a waste of money.

If you are interested in a resource for doing research, http://examine.com/, is a really good site.

Last edited:

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
Vitamin D is the only supplement I religiously take. At night I'll take GABA, melatonin and valerian root to relax and fall asleep at times.

OP
Manosteel

Manosteel

WKR
Vitamin D is the only supplement I religiously take. At night I'll take GABA, melatonin and valerian root to relax and fall asleep at times.

Dose the GABA and Melatonin really work as advertised , help you fall asleep? Read about it decades ago but never gave it much thought but now, with how fast the rat race has gotten, something to get me relaxed and asleep would be welcome. What dose and how do you take it?

I take melatonin almost every night. It seems to help me sleep, I have issues sleeping due to chronic pain. Family says it makes them groggy. I have seen no such problems.

Jay585

FNG
Dose the GABA and Melatonin really work as advertised , help you fall asleep?

Can't speak for GABA, but Melatonin works well. Although it's not habit-forming, it can be addictive (I slept so good! Why not take another one tonight). Started out with the 3 mg, then bought some at Costco (only choice was 10 mg) and those 10 mg would have me waking up groggy as hell, like I was having a mild hangover.

Read an article a while back, says the most effective dose is 0.3 mg. Here's the link: http://www.ergo-log.com/optimal-melatonin-dose-0.3-mg.html