Suppressor mounts

madgrad02

WKR
I've done a little searching and not quite sure I found an answer yet. Put my first can in jail - Silencerco Scythe-Ti. I've got the bug and plan to put a companion 22 can in there to keep her company. That being said, I realize most (if not all) the 22 cans are direct thread. I do plan on using the Scythe on a few rifles potentially (223, 6.5 CM, 308 and a 7mm mag), mostly for hunting purposes. Do most of you run direct thread or some sort of QD design? Looking at the Silencerco ASR system, but the Area 419 stuff looks appealing as well (and have a hellfire on my 7mm mag already). Do the ported brakes save wear and tear on baffles as opposed to a direct thread? Thanks in advance.

Running 419. Not sure if it will save any where on baffles but if I screw up and cross thread I either goof the mount or adapter. Not the can or barrel. Only reason I use their stuff is that it never comes loose. Super well made and I can move stuff from rifle to rifle easily.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a little searching and not quite sure I found an answer yet. Put my first can in jail - Silencerco Scythe-Ti. I've got the bug and plan to put a companion 22 can in there to keep her company. That being said, I realize most (if not all) the 22 cans are direct thread. I do plan on using the Scythe on a few rifles potentially (223, 6.5 CM, 308 and a 7mm mag), mostly for hunting purposes. Do most of you run direct thread or some sort of QD design? Looking at the Silencerco ASR system, but the Area 419 stuff looks appealing as well (and have a hellfire on my 7mm mag already). Do the ported brakes save wear and tear on baffles as opposed to a direct thread? Thanks in advance.
I just got my first suppressor and I'm going to run it on a qd on my 7mag. It adds a little weight but the brake acts as a sacrificial blast baffle. My suppressor doesn't have barrel length restrictions but just says you'll extend service life with longer barrels or brakes. I'm running griffin taper mount but thunderbeast seems to be the gold standard around here. As long as its repeatable I think you're good with whichever system you choose.

I use the Griffin Armament taper mount system on all of my suppressors. Their titanium muzzle break/adapter weighs almost nothing.

Antares

WKR
I much prefer DT. I hunt a lot with a suppressor, but I also hunt a lot in places where I can't use a suppressor. I don't want that QD mount on my muzzle when I'm not using the can.

TX_Diver

WKR
I am using the area 419 system. In Have an ASR mount for sale if you go that way 👍

Except my 22 can I always run a quick change adaptor break. The break acts like a first baffle and keeps the first baffle in the can from getting warn prematurely plus makes it easy to swap them from gun to gun

Last edited:
Except my 22 can I always run a quick change adaptor break. The break acts like a first baffle and keeps the first baffle in the can from getting warn prematurely plus makes it easy to swap them from gun to gun

I hate to brake it to you (;)), but that is a fallacy. It may remove some of the gas/powder impingement, but it ain't preventing any premature warming of the first baffle.

All the QD attachments do is add weight and make it more likely that your can will go on misaligned. I have been present during 5 different can launching events and all of them were QDs. I have yet to see a DT can get sent downrange. As for making it quicker, I have also seen more QD attached cans get stuck on guns than DTs, either due to the lock rings messing up or heat binding. Even when everything goes right you are talking an extra two seconds. Not enough for it to matter in almost every circumstance.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I use A419 mounts. I originally went down this path thinking I’d swap suppressors around a lot. Turns out I just kept getting more suppressors. So I’ve just stuck with it. Probably dumped too much into mounts and adapters than necessary at this point.

Anyone have thoughts if the mounts were dumped for DT whether I’d need to rework loads or have a poi shift?

Silencer Co ASR with the Bravo mount has been around and is proven.
It’s nice to take a can off the 300 WM, and put it on the .223. Having a dedicated can for one hunting rifle, direct thread is best. The ability to move one can between multiple guns with different thread pitches and sizes, go with ASR. I have had my old AAC can converted to Bravo mount and have my Omega 300 the same. Hundreds of rounds with .30 and no issues. Take your time and make sure everything lines up.
ASR mounts add 2” in length and 3.5 oz in weight.

atmat

WKR
It’s nice to take a can off the 300 WM, and put it on the .223. Having a dedicated can for one hunting rifle, direct thread is best. The ability to move one can between multiple guns with different thread pitches and sizes, go with ASR. I have had my old AAC can converted to Bravo mount and have my Omega 300 the same. Hundreds of rounds with .30 and no issues. Take your time and make sure everything lines up.
Instead of running mounts, why not just have all your barrels threaded to same pitch size or run a $20 thread adapter?

I hate to brake it to you (;)), but that is a fallacy. It may remove some of the gas/powder impingement, but it ain't preventing any premature warming of the first baffle.

All the QD attachments do is add weight and make it more likely that your can will go on misaligned. I have been present during 5 different can launching events and all of them were QDs. I have yet to see a DT can get sent downrange. As for making it quicker, I have also seen more QD attached cans get stuck on guns than DTs, either due to the lock rings messing up or heat binding. Even when everything goes right you are talking an extra two seconds. Not enough for it to matter in almost every circumstance.
I'm curious, which QD attachments worked loose, since there are so many of varying quality and differing lock-ups. I've seen too many direct thread mounts, well torqued down, heat up and start to walk off. I've yet to have it happen with the taper mount.

z987k

WKR
All those mounts add a lot more weight, length and cost. As you said.

There's basically 2 thread sizes depending on caliber. It's either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24.
I leave my cans on my rifles anymore, but when I had only 1, I just needed 2 direct thread mounts and done.

Mrwoodard

FNG
I have thousands of rounds through direct thread suppressors and never had an issue. My Omega has many ten round strings through it from match shooting and the blast baffle looks great. I have never had one come loose either. I use thread adapters to go from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 and just leave them on the rifle.

I run TBAC CB system on the hunting rigs for ultra 7’s (mainly cuz I have 2 Ultra 7s and several hunting rigs). Have a Dead Air Nomad and use the Area 419 hellfire system on my Aero Solus (use the omega adapter in the can when suppressed and use the match brake when not suppressed). I’ll use the same Nomad on gas guns and swap over to the Xeno system for those (until I get another Nomad).

Reactions: WRO
All those mounts add a lot more weight, length and cost. As you said.

There's basically 2 thread sizes depending on caliber. It's either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24.
I leave my cans on my rifles anymore, but when I had only 1, I just needed 2 direct thread mounts and done.

I forgot to add that the Bravo mount adapter screwed into the can is a few more ounces heavier that the 5/8” x 24 direct threaded mount. The weight adds up. I do like the ASR Break on the 300WM when not running the can.