Suppressor wrap

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've not tried any of the sewn ones, but thought I would share.

First I tried @Formidilosus wrap with high temp silicon tape and coban (vetwrap). I really liked it. However, I was shooting a steel plate for rapid fire practice with my 308, using the Tikka 5 round mag and reloading the mag between every string. The silicone tape split by the time I hit 40 rounds and the coban started smoking and changing color.

So, I bought some carbon felt off Amazon, and used two layers of that under some coban. It works well. The carbon felt will hold up to about 1800 F. I wrapped the coban as tight as I could.

Anyway, if anyone needs a wrap for a gas gun, it should work great. I imagine not many people will need this for a bolt gun.

The silicone does not slid at all, the carbon felt stays put for the most part, but slides a little when taking the muffler on and off.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Pics or it didn’t happen.
I did not think to take any while it was smoking.

The remains of the wrap. The coban was originally black and of a variety that is something between normal vet wrap and an ACE bandage.
r20240511_124128.jpgr20240511_124141.jpg

The new one. The heavy wrap did not stick to itself well, so got some of the normal stuff.
s20240511_124327.jpg

Antares

WKR
This is timely. I just pick this up at the store. I’m going to see how much heat it can take tomorrow morning.

IMG_2297.jpeg

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_20240111_180858.jpg
I've been using some alibaba carbon felt with shock cord on a couple cans for a few months now. Holds up to the heat great but the shock cord was tight enough to pull through the felt on the polo k. It's now wrapped in coban. Just an fyi, the felt that I got should be handled with gloved hands, covering it with coban or something else is ideal.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The stuff I got from amazon is reasonably tough. I don't feel it needs any special treatment, but I have not tried subjecting it to anything rougher than pulling, tugging, and cutting with scissors.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
The stuff I got from amazon is reasonably tough. I don't feel it needs any special treatment, but I have not tried subjecting it to anything rougher than pulling, tugging, and cutting with scissors.
Does yours shed fibers and make your hands itchy? Maybe alibaba wasn't the way to go haha

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Does yours shed fibers and make your hands itchy? Maybe alibaba wasn't the way to go haha
No, it does not. It feels like a soft wool felt, but if I hold a flame to it almost nothing happens (after 30-60 seconds it will shrink slightly and bit feel as soft).

I’ve been using this. Reasonable priced and works great. Very neat and tight cover.

TreeDog

FNG
I’ve been using this. Reasonable priced and works great. Very neat and tight cover.

I was looking at those before I bought the silicone wrap. Does it knock down the mirage pretty well?

I was looking at those before I bought the silicone wrap. Does it knock down the mirage pretty well?
It has so far. No long range sessions yet but hunted with it three times with no issues.

It’s also 12” long with cut to fit. So one actually covered 2 of my suppressors. Also ordered another one for an AB raptor 8 stack with 5” reflex, and it should fully cover it

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Just a warning for those with removable wraps on suppressors: My ASE suppressor came with a removable heat wrap. It worked, but also shifted POI if it was not put on precisely the same each time. Even then it can rotate in the bush and throw off a shot. I don't use wraps any more after seeing that.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
You bought a suppressor, a lifetime investment, just go to one of the dozens of manufacturers and buy a cover tailored to your suppressor and stop with all this nonsense. Being able to remove the cover and let the can cool is a huge benefit. Doing whats been shown on this thread is bananas.
Hey that’s a good idea! Banana peels are naturally heat/temp resistant right? Might have to step up to a certain kind of plantain for today’s short fat cans… chop the ends, hollow it out, slide on, then vet wrap ;-)