Swaro Ats 65 vs 80 for guiding

Thank you for all the information in this thread! I’ve been saving toward a high end spotter for a little while now. This post provided great guidance toward purpose if use.

JP100

WKR
Real men pack a 95mm........haha

Through my guiding career ive used a 65,85 and then a 95.

Ive used a 95mm now for quite a few years. I guide primarily Tahr and Chamois, which although similar to sheep hunting, are far harder to age/judge(small horn size).

Ive been tempted to go back to a 65mm as the bulk of the 95mm is main main issue. more so than the weight, the bulk can be annoying with a big pack already.

Low light performance of the 95mm is what really makes ti worth it for me, we shoot alot of animals in last light and foggy conditions, and the 95mm is that much better in these conditions.

I also think it can save alot of time/miles. If you can accurately judge an animal from further away, it makes your job easier.

If you have access to different scopes(as it seems you do) spend a few days playing around with the other guides scopes and see how they look/feel in different conditions.

They all look good on a nice clear sunny day. But its when its foggy, raining and half dark that you need them to excel.

Another disadvantage of a bigger scope, is a bigger tripod.

The 65mms and the new 56mm can be used on pretty small and light tripods.
The bigger scopes need bigger tripods. So it all adds up

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I use the ATS 65mm HD with the 25-50 wide angle eyepiece for AK hunting including sheep. I use a Sirui T-1205X tripod with a Vanguard PH-111V head. It's a nice setup. The vanguard is not super smooth, but I'll stick with it. There are times when I wonder and wish for the larger magnification of the 20-60X eyepiece, but so many reviews gave really high praise to the wide angle eyepiece so I went that route. The taller tripod allows me to stand up and glass over brush when hunting moose.

Last edited:

ColeyG

WKR
There’s very little, if any, first and last light glassing for sheep. Generally I spot them with binos and get closer with the spotter. I use a 65 and have been considering the Kowa 55. Not sure you could give me an 80. If you are trying to provide a nice view and experience for a client then I could see the benefit of an 80.

This.

Is anyone using the new Swaro ATC 17-40x56? At 34.2oz it is pretty svelte compared to most others in that mag range. I sure wish they made it compatible with the 60x eye piece though.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a 65 and 80. I found that the 80 offered a brighter FOV, no surprise there. Under similar field conditions, I was able to count age rings about 100-200 yards farther using the 80 vs the 65. In hindsight, I'd just reach for the 65 as the go to sheep spotter. Pair that with the Aziak tripod plus ball head and you've got a top knotch combo. To counter that perspective, that 80 offers just a bit more versatility in FOV and low light performance.

For what it's worth, the new Kowa 66 is worth consideration.

I've had both at the same time and the 80 is noticeably better when light is a factor. Enough so that even though I have days where I prefer to travel as light as possible I still chose the 80, I eventually sold off the 65.

Thanks for all the replies! How about tripod set ups to go with the 65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a slik carbon 634 tripod with my sworo 65. I've tried lighter tripods and they are nicer to carry but for the weight the slik is still light and very stable. Also can be used standing which is nice if you are in the thick stuff trying to glass rams up from the valley bottoms. I wouldn't recommend the pistol grip unless you are dead set on it. I also used the pistol grip but have since changed to a wiser precision panhead. super light weight and way easier to stay on rams than the pistol grip.

deadwolf

WKR
I use a slik carbon 634 tripod with my sworo 65. I've tried lighter tripods and they are nicer to carry but for the weight the slik is still light and very stable. Also can be used standing which is nice if you are in the thick stuff trying to glass rams up from the valley bottoms. I wouldn't recommend the pistol grip unless you are dead set on it. I also used the pistol grip but have since changed to a wiser precision panhead. super light weight and way easier to stay on rams than the pistol grip.

I have a nearly same setup Slik 624, Wiser, 65 ATX. Its awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk