Swaro atx 95 vs 115

Justin91

FNG
I’m debating between the 95 mm and 115 mm atx? I do backpack hunt and truck hunt also lots of shooting. Does anyone have experience with both, is the extra size of the 115mm over the 95 worth it? Thank you

I’ve owned the 95 for about 6 years.
I’ve recently had the opportunity to have both set up side by side ( I was dead set on owning a 115) and used them in the morning (sun up till about 9am) and the from about 3pm till dark. I honestly couldn’t see any difference whatsoever. None. I desperately tried to “make it more better” and I couldn’t. I’m sure some others may have a different opinion.

Do all over again, I’d go 85.

OP
Justin91

Justin91

FNG
I’ve owned the 95 for about 6 years.
I’ve recently had the opportunity to have both set up side by side ( I was dead set on owning a 115) and used them in the morning (sun up till about 9am) and the from about 3pm till dark. I honestly couldn’t see any difference whatsoever. None. I desperately tried to “make it more better” and I couldn’t. I’m sure some others may have a different opinion.

Do all over again, I’d go 85.
Thank you that’s good to know I’m just fine with the heavier weight and size if it preforms better but is it’s not night and day difference i i would save on the room in my pack. If you don’t mind why the 85 if you had to do it all again?

85 has better resolution, less of that “pin cushion”.
Some even say the 85 controls the CA better, but I haven’t noticed any CA from my 95.

I questioned this myself but the bird forums have proven this time and again.

svivian

WKR
since someone else mentioned it I would also go 85mm. We tested all 4 objective sizes over a weeklong period and for price and weight it makes the most sense.... at least for me. you can get a 65 and 85 objective for roughly the cost of the 115 alone.

svivian

WKR
Thank you that’s good to know I’m just fine with the heavier weight and size if it preforms better but is it’s not night and day difference i i would save on the room in my pack. If you don’t mind why the 85 if you had to do it all again?
Also you say you don't mind carrying the size and weight until you have to. Trust me I was the exact same way. Trying to fit the 115 or even the 95mm objective in or around your pack becomes a pain in the ass. You'll end up just strapping the whole thing to the outside of your pack because you don't want to dig it out.

Broomd

WKR
Yep, on record here over the years as a huge 85mm fan.

The higher power of the 95/115mm others is practically useless afield, both are massive. The 85 is lighter, cheaper, has the lower 'x' power that is actually useful and is very fine just as it is.

Roy_H

FNG
I tried both at a local shop in contra-light conditions and I struggled to see any differences as well and wondered if the zoom eyeiece was the limiting factor. I have not had a chance to try both with a high quality fixed eyepiece. I see in the Digiscoping web sites, some of the best Digiscopers (people who have won the Swarovski annual contest) have been opting and even trading down to the 85mm.

OP
Justin91

Justin91

FNG
That’s very interesting thank you all for the responses I haven’t really even considered the 85 sounds like I will have to start looking into it how is for letting in light in the darker hours and field of view I’m upgrading from the ats65 and just want to get the most out of a spotter that I can

Interesting discussion. I have a 65 for backpack hunts and I love it. I've always figured I would end up with a 65/95 combo and use the 95 for at home, out of truck, astronomy, etc. Has anyone gone from a 65/95 combo to simply the 85 exclusive?

I remember reading rokslide, years ago, that Swarovski's intention for the 65/85/95 was for the 85 to be their all-rounder and the 65/95 to be more niche. But it turned out they sold more 65/95. Not sure if true. But I hardly ever see 85 discussed.

The 115 is a beast.

Interesting discussion. I have a 65 for backpack hunts and I love it. I've always figured I would end up with a 65/95 combo and use the 95 for at home, out of truck, astronomy, etc. Has anyone gone from a 65/95 combo to simply the 85 exclusive?

I remember reading rokslide, years ago, that Swarovski's intention for the 65/85/95 was for the 85 to be their all-rounder and the 65/95 to be more niche. But it turned out they sold more 65/95. Not sure if true. But I hardly ever see 85 discussed.

The 115 is a beast.
I went with the 65 and 95; no point in compromising with your optics which the 85 is. The 65 works for a lot and the 95 rocks for other scenarios such as field judging Coues way out there.

Easy to save money if folks learned to make a call rather than buy online. Got both my 65 and 95 at the same time for the cost of the 95.

holzphoto

FNG
I have a very good relationship with my dealer and he sent me and have owned all of the Swarovski x scope stuff.

I ended up keeping the BTX, stx, 85 and 115. The 85 isn’t much bigger than the 65 and ousts it.

The 115 is an amazing piece of glass. I do a lot of digiscoping and my goodness, the video and pics I can pull off of that 115 are mind boggling.

OP
Justin91

Justin91

FNG
I have the btx/115 and love it. Got it from Neil at camera land ny. They were great to work with! Where are you located, you are welcome to look through mine. I am thinking about selling it as I really don’t have a need for it. I bought it to look at the elk out of my living room….but the elk moved. I have the balance mount, the 1.7x, pelican case and the Swarovski gimble mount on a carbon tripod
I want toad the btx to my set up one day but I’m looking for an atx set up to start thank you for your offer tho it sounds like a great set up and I’m located in idaho

OP
Justin91

Justin91

FNG
I have a very good relationship with my dealer and he sent me and have owned all of the Swarovski x scope stuff.

I ended up keeping the BTX, stx, 85 and 115. The 85 isn’t much bigger than the 65 and ousts it.

The 115 is an amazing piece of glass. I do a lot of digiscoping and my goodness, the video and pics I can pull off of that 115 are mind boggling.
That’s awesome I want to get more into digiscoping for sure. Do you use a camera or cellphone?

holzphoto

FNG
That’s awesome I want to get more into digiscoping for sure. Do you use a camera or cellphone?
I have a Panasonic gh5, Panasonic 20mm 1.7, and digidaptor. But I also have an iPhone pro 13 and phone skope. The gh5/20mm/digidaptor are much more work.

The iPhone 13 and phone skope have allowed me to get amazing footage quickly.

Here’s a young California condor that is working its way up to flying:

https://www.holzphotoclient.com/Other/Condor-/i-B4NdsgH