Swaros, Zeiss, Leica..

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, so sorry if this is a repeat discussion.

I have always dreamed of owning a pair of Swarovski binos some day, but lately have been seeing pairs of Zeiss Victorys or Leica Ultravid HDs for significantly cheaper than the Swaros so it has got me wondering about them...

Are the Swaros still the best, or have the other brands "caught up" to them?

I have the Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 and they are great! Expensive though. I think I would be just as happy with the Swarovski or Zeiss.

I also have the Leica rangefinder, which is also very good. If I had it to go ever again, I would have bought the bino/rangefinder combination. Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss; whichever is lightest.

No matter what you decide, you will be extremely satisfied with the performance.

Good luck with your decision.

japple

FNG
A couple friends and I did a comparison between the Swaro EL and the Zeiss Victory a couple months ago. Both were phenomenal. Swaro was a little bit lighter and had better edge to edge clarity. The Zeiss were a little heavier and held a little bit steadier because of the weight. While the Swaro had better edge to edge clarity, the Zeiss had a wider field of view. My personal experience with this particular feature is give and take. A narrower FOV will increase edge to edge clarity and vice versa. One other thing is that the Zeiss seemed to have a more neutral color to them while the Swaro seemed to be hued a little bit. Either way you will be happy with the purchase, it all depends on what features are more important to you.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I think a lot of major optics have come a long way in the last few years, and all fairly comparable. Even the higher end Vortex binos are something to consider. With that said, I am still a fan of Swarovski, and that is what makes up my arsenal of bionos and spotting scope. I have never been let down by their quality or performance.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
When you are dealing with those three it is all personal preference. They are all so good it is what YOU like. I've had different versions of all three, currently have Ultravids, Duovids, and Victory, but am always on a lookout for a good deal on a 10x42 Swarovision. You will not be disappointed by any of the top end stuff. Can't speak to something like a Conquest line though.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Agree with Steve O. You have to look through them. I really don't care for Zeiss binos although I haven't looked through the new FS. Zeiss has a blueish tint to me. The Ultravids have amazing glass but I don't care for their housing, feels like a brick. For the total package I choose Swaro's. The glass is second to none and they're easy to hold and glass with.

Last edited:

WKR
Put Maven in your list of consideration. Performance is on par with the best from any company but cost is about half what you'd expect from a traditional business because of their direct to consumer business model. Check out the reviews here and other places online to evaluate the product vs. just looking at the brand names. If the name is important, I don't fault anybody for that, gotta buy what makes you happy, but if you're after the best performance value for your $, I think you'll find Maven is tough to beat.

boom

WKR
I would be hard pressed to pick which is the best. My ultravids next to my buds swarvovision, my eyes can't pick a winner.

On a tripod, the binos are fantastic. Leica doesn't make it easy to put on a tripod. I
Managed w that aftermarket post.

Trial153

WKR
All three within the same price line you can't go wrong....it just a matter of look personal looks and feels to each person... Just me but ergonomics means a lot to me when everything else is equal or chose to equal.

WRO

WKR
I haven't looked through the new Ultravids so I have no comment on them. I spent some time behind the new victory SF's, I don't like them as well as my ELs, they seemed a little muted color, didn't seem as bright and the eye cups felt cheap to me. I prefer an open bridge bino, but the victory HT's are stunning optically.

I've never looked through the mavens so I have no comment, except that I have never seen asian glass that compares with the german glass.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I just read a thorough and excellent review at greatestbinoculars.com. He dissects and compares the Swaro EL & SLC, Leica Ultravid +, Zeiss SF & HT. My conclusion after reading the review was that they are all designed just a bit different and to be the best at say light transmission usually means you have to sacrifice slightly in another area. Differences between most of them seemed verrrrry minor and personal preference is going to come into play in your decision as much as anything.

OP
cornfedkiller
Cornfedkiller, what size and style of binos are you looking for. I have a pair of Swaro SLC 10x50s that I might be willing to part with.

Im looking at 10x42, but it will be a while before I buy anything. And I am really only interested in the ELs. The binoculars I have now have the open bridge, and I'm not sure I could go back to a traditional hinge style.