Swarovski 65 vs bigger objectives

Hey guys just have a quick question! Been running a swaro ATS 65 20-60x spotter for the last few seasons. Huge valleys, often glassing game 4+ miles, mainly horseback so not as worried about weight as a backpacker but still need to lug it around for 2 months at a time in the pack.
At full zoom it seems to be struggling to pick up detail and has a pretty narrow focus window when things are way out there. Would be nice to have more detail to see if a ram is worth going after or not rather than just knowing that it’s a ram of some sort. Also doing a bit of that digital scoping. Hunting big wide tundra valleys.
Is there a noticeable difference with the 85 or the 95mm for these situations or am I just going to be lugging more weight around? Thanks guys

Slowpoke

FNG
I have the ats 65 mm with the 20x50 eyepiece and was watching a bull over a mile away. I could tell it was a decent bull. The guide had the swaro 85 mm. Through that the bull turned into a decent 6x6 and it looked like a broken 3rd on the right side.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
There is a noticeable difference. I had a 65mm and 95mm for my ATX/BTX. I found if was WELL worth the 1lb 4oz weight penalty after spending some time using both.

I sold the 65mm to help fund a wonderful little ATC; If I need to go ultralight that’s what I will take.

Never looked at Kowa much, would be awesome if you could you share some of your experiences.
First, check out the RS review from a couple of years ago:

Swaro ATX/STX is worth it only if you take advantage of the modularity (for most people). Otherwise it is a lot more money and weight. I have the STX with the 65 and 95 objectives.

I bought my Kowa 554 from CameraLand due to the sale they had at the time. After an extended period of time comparing it to my STX 65 and others' spotters, the 554 earned a permanent spot in my optics arsenal. The fluorite glass is no joke.

If I could go back in time or if just starting out from scratch, I could go straight Kowa on my spotters and not worry about it (plus have some extra cash in my pocket).

EDIT
Take a look at this comparison (normal disclaimer .... take with a grain of salt).

Last edited:
First, check out the RS review from a couple of years ago:

Swaro ATX/STX is worth it only if you take advantage of the modularity (for most people). Otherwise it is a lot more money and weight. I have the STX with the 65 and 95 objectives.

I bought my Kowa 554 from CameraLand due to the sale they had at the time. After an extended period of time comparing it to my STX 65 and others' spotters, the 554 earned a permanent spot in my optics arsenal. The fluorite glass is no joke.

If I could go back in time or if just starting out from scratch, I could go straight Kowa on my spotters and not worry about it (plus have some extra cash in my pocket).

Not to derail but have you looked through the new swaro 56 spotters? I bought a 553 and compared it to my razor gen 1 85 and to be honest I was not impressed. Even when not comparing it to other spotters, I wasn’t impressed. Maybe I got a bad 553?

I recently spent some time behind the ATC 56 and the glass experience was so much better than the Kowa 553 (this is just one man’s opinion). Eye relief was much larger and was much easier to stay in the scope. Can’t comment on image quality because I didn’t have the 553 when looking at the ATC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WRO
Not to derail but have you looked through the new swaro 56 spotters? I bought a 553 and compared it to my razor gen 1 85 and to be honest I was not impressed. Even when not comparing it to other spotters, I wasn’t impressed. Maybe I got a bad 553?

I recently spent some time behind the ATC 56 and the glass experience was so much better than the Kowa 553 (this is just one man’s opinion). Eye relief was much larger and was much easier to stay in the scope. Can’t comment on image quality because I didn’t have the 553 when looking at the ATC

I've not had a chance to look at the ATC/STC but a friend picked one up and I won't see him until January down in Mexico. Hoping he brings it down so I can take a look at it in Coues country (real good test on how good it really is). I know my 554 is not the choice for Coues in wide open country (but works just fine for black bear in the same county -- animal size is key).

All my spotters are only for confirmations so issues with FOV are a non-issue for me. But others that can be a very real issue.

Price paid really comes into the decision on this. If paying full retail, just buy the ATC/STC and be done with it. However, you can get the Kowa 55x for about $1450 with minimal effort thanks to periodic sales. So the individual will need to decide if the additional $1000 for the Swaro is worth it (combined with how the spotter will be used).

I had 115 for my BTX last year. I am now using 65 for my BTX. Weight savings and negligible difference.

This year I did side X side with two BTXs and 65 and the other objective sizes, and I could not tell a difference that was a game changer.

This is my opinion. Others have diff opinions I’m sure.

There is 100% not a night and day difference between the 65 and 115 or anywhere in between for that matter.

I tried mid day and last light in the testing.