Swarovski Recommendations

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for some Swarovski optics. I'm looking to get a couple of items from them. Currently, I'm looking at 10x42 EL Range, 15x56 SLC, and a spotting scope of theirs (unsure which to get). Currently, I'm mainly hunting big game in California, but hope to travel to states like Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, etc. in the future. This will be an investment that will last me a long period of time (probably 8-10 years), so I want to try to be as informed as possible. Can anyone recommend a spotter and maybe give some insight on your thoughts to this plan. Also, full disclosure, I will be purchasing these products new at a significant discount, so I don't mind discussing some of their more expensive products if they will serve my needs better. Furthermore, I'm kind of a buy once, cry once kind of guy. I appreciate any insights and opinions you may have to offer.

Thanks,

Nick

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you in your 70s? That line up should last you the rest of your days not 10 years.

For the spotter you need to decide if you prefer angled or straight, if you want to interchange objective lenses (go ATX/STX), and /or how big of an objective lens you want. Any of them are PRIMO.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be my pleasure to discuss this with you (even if you're buying elsewhere) so that you have a full understanding of what's available and what would be best for you

LaHunter

WKR
I have a pair of 10X42 SLCs (non HD) and a STS HD 65mm spotter. This setup works great for me and the terrain that I typically hunt out west. The 65mm spotter is the right balance for wt and performance, in my opinion. I carry my spotter / tripod in my pack, so wt matters to me. If $$ isn't a primary factor, the STX / ATX seem to be the best spotters available, according to most all reviews I read, but I have never looked through them. Lots of factors to consider when buying a spotter: wt, application, terrain hunted, animals hunted, trophy hunting vs meat hunting, $$, etc.

OP
N
Swaro fanboy here. Don't understand your thinking on needing both the 15's and the spotter. Really "nice" to have but for me I have a pair of 10X42 EL's and a spotter and have spent the rest of my money on hunts.

Honestly, I like the idea of having the 15's for range in between the 10x42 and the spotter. Plus, I only have this opportunity to purchase these optics during a limited period, so I mights as well get everything I may anticipate needing/wanting while I can.

prm

WKR
I have the 8x30 Companions for stalking and will add the 15x56 SLC for spotting. I find it easier to spot with binos on a tripod than a spotter. That’s a personal preference though.

OP
N
Are you in your 70s? That line up should last you the rest of your days not 10 years.

For the spotter you need to decide if you prefer angled or straight, if you want to interchange objective lenses (go ATX/STX), and /or how big of an objective lens you want. Any of them are PRIMO.

Lol no, about to be 24. But I figure with optical improvements over the next 10 years, I will likely want to upgrade if I have the means to do so. I prefer angled so I'm looking into those options. The ATX/STX system is interesting, but I'm unsure of the benefits and drawbacks. In addition, I am unsure of the objective lens I want with the spotter. I understand the trade-offs as far as field of view and weight difference between the spotters, I just can't decide what fits me best. That's where I was looking for opinions and experiences on.

elkguide

WKR
Honestly, I like the idea of having the 15's for range in between the 10x42 and the spotter. Plus, I only have this opportunity to purchase these optics during a limited period, so I mights as well get everything I may anticipate needing/wanting while I can.

So you wouldn't plan on carrying all 3 at once? That was my concern because weight is definitely one of the first factors I consider, then comes actual use. While I have a spotter and my binos, I probably pack my spotter 30% of the time based on where I am hunting.

Unless my hunting is going to allow me to glass miles away or I have a limited entry tag and I am hunting for horns, the spotter is just extra weight having high end binos to find and judge with they tell me most of what I need to know. If I am planning on long range shooting/hunting then the spotter is along. I have just never seen the real need for a pair of 15 power binos.

Having declared my loyalty and love of Swarovski, the only other glass that I would look at would be in a spotter and that would be what Kowa offers. But if you have a great Swaro connection, ignore that comment.

OP
N
Lots of factors to consider when buying a spotter: wt, application, terrain hunted, animals hunted, trophy hunting vs meat hunting, $$, etc.

This is my main issue. Currently, I've been hunting one area in California, but plan to hunt other areas when I leave the state for good. I have no preference of trophy vs meat, either options are perfectly fine for me as they both serve as a form of hunting in the end. Animals would primarily be elk and deer (mainly deer while in CA), although I would like to hunt antelope, bear, as well as other animals in the future. I'm trying not to think of this purchase as what is best for my applications currently, but rather what will serve well for current applications but be useful when I am able to expand my hunting opportunities.

skierhs

WKR
Currently, I have no spotter and have been using Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 (Was a broke college student for the past 5 years). So this would be a major step up optically.
So as a broke college kid I had viper hd 10x50. When I saved up I bought a 95mm atx. I carry that thing everywhere now. It covers me in any situation from spring bear to sheep or elk. I hunt Colorado and Montana so I have the space to use it and the quality to judge any animal in the world. That being said I’m gonna get a pair of 15x56 slc just to add to my bag of tricks.

OP
N
So you wouldn't plan on carrying all 3 at once? That was my concern because weight is definitely one of the first factors I consider, then comes actual use. While I have a spotter and my binos, I probably pack my spotter 30% of the time based on where I am hunting.

Unless my hunting is going to allow me to glass miles away or I have a limited entry tag and I am hunting for horns, the spotter is just extra weight having high end binos to find and judge with they tell me most of what I need to know. If I am planning on long range shooting/hunting then the spotter is along. I have just never seen the real need for a pair of 15 power binos.

Having declared my loyalty and love of Swarovski, the only other glass that I would look at would be in a spotter and that would be what Kowa offers. But if you have a great Swaro connection, ignore that comment.

No, I would not be carrying all three at once. I'm in the industry so I am able to get Swaro essentially at a steal (can't disclose pricing unfortunately). I just got back from SHOT show and Swaro blew me out of the water with their optics, even when compared to Leica and Zeiss (both excellent companies as well, I just felt the Swaro's had better clarity in my demo's).

OP
N
So as a broke college kid I had viper hd 10x50. When I saved up I bought a 95mm atx. I carry that thing everywhere now. It covers me in any situation from spring bear to sheep or elk. I hunt Colorado and Montana so I have the space to use it and the quality to judge any animal in the world. That being said I’m gonna get a pair of 15x56 slc just to add to my bag of tricks.

Yeah, at one point I was looking into buying some Vortex optics, but figured with the amount I was going to spend I might as well step up to Swarovski. Doesn't hurt that I've been promoted twice over and have gobs of overtime saved up as well.

Consider 8x42 EL range as lower power and larger FOV = less eye fatigue glassing for long sits. I personally use a set of SLC 7 x 30’s and have no issue spotting game at 3 miles +. Quality, clarity and brightness have far more utility then extra magnification. Also, higher magnification amplifies any movement in your binoculars and adds to eye fatigue.

Think about where you primarily glass from. If you’re glassing from valleys up onto mountains you might find an angled eyepiece more comfortable. If you glass from ridge tops a straight eyepice more comfortable.
65 mm objective seems to fit the bill for all needs pretty well.

I bought my Swarovski SLC 7 x 30’s about 30 years ago and find that they still stack favorably against new production and I wouldn’t trade them for anything.
My ATS 65 whs a pawnshop find for about $.10 on the dollar. I rarely use it but it is nice for evaluating animals beyond a mile distant.

Talk to Doug at camera land and try to look through some optics before you make your decision.

elkguide

WKR
No, I would not be carrying all three at once. I'm in the industry so I am able to get Swaro essentially at a steal (can't disclose pricing unfortunately). I just got back from SHOT show and Swaro blew me out of the water with their optics, even when compared to Leica and Zeiss (both excellent companies as well, I just felt the Swaro's had better clarity in my demo's).

With you on the Swaro over the Zeiss. to my eyes the Leicas are very, very close but saw a few issues with the Leicas when I was guiding so have stayed with Swarovski. Maybe if I was in a situation where I was glassing a halfway area or had the extra money to just own a set of 15's I'd think differently but I've been able to hunt and guide successfully with just the 10's and a spotter.
Yes glass has gotten better but one of my best and newest rifles has a 30 year old Swarovski scope on it as it has incredible glass even being old. And while I have a newer pair of EL's, my 90's SLC's are carried any time that I can get them away from my son who seems to think that they are the best glass we have.

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Nick, you didn’t mention what kind of hunting you’ll be doing.
When I’m backpack (packed in) bow hunting in CA I carry my 10x42 SLC’s and the 553 Kowa. I had a 65 ATS Swaro (excellent glass) but opted for the Kowa 553 for the weight savings. Typically I’m hiking around a lot and personally benefit from a lighter set up.
For certain hunts where I am not as mobile and need extra magnification (beyond 10x) I would prefer my buddies 15x56 SLC’s for looking out further but would still have a spotter on hand to be able to confirm what I’m looking at as a lot of the time I’m picking up animals behind or amongst thick cover.
Just to be clear, I don’t personally carry more than one set of bino’s and a spotter for my hunts but you’ll figure out what works best for you. The same above applies for my out of state hunts.
If I was in your position and budget was not a factor I would:
1. Get some EL or SLC 10x42’s to wear around your neck. Try em’ both out.
2. Swaro ATX Spotter paired with a 65mm if primarily backpack hunting and/or 85mm-95mm if weight is not a concern.
3. Pick up some 15x56 SLC’s for the hunts where you need the extra magnification above 10x.

I think with the above glass you will be more than satisfied and equipped for any hunt you ever go on. Get out there, have fun and go get em’.

pirogue

WKR
You know what they say about straight vs angled. Angled are for lazy road hunters because they are always looking up. Hunters who get away from the road, often find themselves looking down at animals and prefer straight.