SWFA 3-9 or Nightforce SHV 3-10?

Just got another rifle, a Bergara B-14 Hunter 6.5CM, just for fun, might use for blacktail deer, normally I’m a Tikka guy. Picked this rifle off the shelf for giggles. Usually run a fixed 6x SWFA on all my rigs. But have narrowed my choices down to a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 or SWFA 3-9..

Both have pros and cons. But both seem to hold zero better than anything else…. Which would you use?

t_carlson

WKR
If you plan on dialing often, go SWFA. Capped turrets on the NF will be a pain in the butt.

That said, I prefer the NF for my hunting rifles because of the capped turrets. They are also much lower in profile.

This is one of those great situations where there is no "bad" choice.

I’ve got the SHV on my “set and forget” rifle in plain duplex. Can dial if needed but it’s mostly shot off hand or still hunting. Great scope for that kind of stuff. Nice visible duplex reticle.

Swfa 3-9 on my lighter weight but longer range 22 creedmoor. Happy with it, they are not ideal IMO for very low light/close range/dark timber but certainly work fine.

OP
AlpineAssassin907
If you plan on dialing often, go SWFA. Capped turrets on the NF will be a pain in the butt.

That said, I prefer the NF for my hunting rifles because of the capped turrets. They are also much lower in profile.

This is one of those great situations where there is no "bad" choice.
I don’t plan on dialing often with this set up. So I was leaning toward the “set and forget” route 👍 had a trijicon accupoint 3-9 in mind as well forgot to throw that out there on this thread. I am a big SWFA guy though. But I am Leaning toward the nightforce on this rig🙌

OP
AlpineAssassin907
If you order today, you can likely have the swfa by next season!
It would be a fun race to buy a suppressor and swfa 3-9 on the same day and see what comes first.
LOL no kidding. Luckily for me I got one from a family member😂

Hnthrdr

WKR
If you order today, you can likely have the swfa by next season!
It would be a fun race to buy a suppressor and swfa 3-9 on the same day and see what comes first.
Eh I saw it hit the in stock email a week or two ago, my suppressors on the other hand are a legit 8 months at least. I have. 6x backordered from Swfa and it’s been a month or so…

Eh I saw it hit the in stock email a week or two ago, my suppressors on the other hand are a legit 8 months at least. I have. 6x backordered from Swfa and it’s been a month or so…
When you backorder through swfa do they hit your card when you order or when they ship? I’m also looking for 3 of the 3-9 but don’t want them to sit on my money when they can’t give an eta. Going to wait until Black Friday at this point.

I have a few of the shv 3-9 force plex and they are great for woods hunting.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
When you backorder through swfa do they hit your card when you order or when they ship? I’m also looking for 3 of the 3-9 but don’t want them to sit on my money when they can’t give an eta. Going to wait until Black Friday at this point.

I have a few of the shv 3-9 force plex and they are great for woods hunting.
SWFA. Told me they charge the card when they are ready to ship the scope.

WKR
I'm still waiting on a 3-9 SWFA from a January order.

I'm pretty sure they don't hit the card until it ships but it's been so long I don't even remember for certain.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I can’t add anything meaningful regarding the SWFA 3-9 since I’m waiting for my backorder to be filled.

I own four of the 3-10 SHV, three with parallax & MOA reticle one with an illuminated plex reticle. I bought all of them used. They are solid scopes, the eye relief is a tad short but the eye box is relatively easy to get behind, consistently return to zero and track well.

SDHNTR

WKR
I own or have owned both. I prefer the Nightforce. SFP or FFP doesn’t make a difference to me in this power range. And I like having the illumination and the much more compact package in the NF. The SWFA is unnecessarily large and hard to get.

JFK

WKR
I own both as well. Prefer the SHV. SFP in a relatively low power scope isn’t the curse that people make it out to be. Have dialed mine a good amount. On game, and if needed, I’m unscrewing the cap as I get into position. The cap is a non-issue. Swfa is a good scope too though.

Weldor

WKR
I can’t add anything meaningful regarding the SWFA 3-9 since I’m waiting for my backorder to be filled.

I own four of the 3-10 SHV, three with parallax & MOA reticle one with an illuminated plex reticle. I bought all of them used. They are solid scopes, the eye relief is a tad short but the eye box is relatively easy to get behind, consistently return to zero and track well.
I looked at the SWFA but the eye relief is a bit short for me. 3.0 inches. I like 4.0 or there abouts for myself.