SWFA 3-9 vs SWFA 3-15 vs Vortex Viper HST 4-16

BCD

WKR
I’ve narrowed it down to these three scopes to put on my new Hells Canyon Speed In 300 WSM. I would love to get proficient at 5-600 yards but we shall see as I would be very pleased if I could be consistent at 400. Any thoughts on these three scopes?

Thank you!

Wrench

WKR
I have experience with the two swfa scopes. I like the size, reticle and optics of the 3-9hd most. I have a few of them and they ride on some of my favorite rigs.

tdhanses

WKR
I have a vortex vioer hst 4-16x44 in mils I’ll sell you for $275 to your door. I don’t have the sunshade piece but never have used them anyway. It’s in great condition and covered by their no fault warranty.

Only pic I currently have, it’s on my 22.
1146DC1C-3B25-4630-A751-EA72C88F9B8A.jpeg

Last edited:

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Vortex PST, which inst the HS-T, and I've also used the SWFA 3-15. I never had a chance to use the Vortex past 200 yards, but I did use the SWFA out to 500. I like the SWFA. The reticle was nice, it tracked well and was a solid scope. Not too heavy too. I also liked my vortex. The glass was great, the reticle was very useful, just a tad thick, and it also tracked well. I would say go with the SWFA if you dont need illumination.

I have the SWFA 3-9 HD and when I was looking everyone recommended the HD vs the classic because better glass and turrets. 9x is more than enough for 4-500 yds, but I can understand if you like more magnification. If you think you are going to dial for shots, then I would absolutly go with SWFA. If you are going to use the reticle and hold over, td has a pretty good price on the hst and it made your list.

Had a pair of HS-T.....not impressed. Shoot them side by side with 3 SWFA 3-15 I own. Huge difference. The SWFA a better optic all the way around in my opinion.

My HS-Ts were like looking through a glass of skim milk. I will say that the one I have remaining is mounted on a target .22LR and dialed it 36 MOA and back several times in the last few weeks to engage some steel out at 250yds. Seemed to RTZ and track well enough

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
The 3-9 SWFA is smaller than the 3-15 and a little easier to get behind. Both have good enough glass, the reticle in the 3-9 is a little more bold and they are both tough and repeatable. Wouldn't touch the vortex.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I have sold two HS-Ts to buy SWFAs. For the price there is no comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

BCD

WKR
The 3-9 SWFA is smaller than the 3-15 and a little easier to get behind. Both have good enough glass, the reticle in the 3-9 is a little more bold and they are both tough and repeatable. Wouldn't touch the vortex.

Can you tell me what you mean by the 3-9 is a little bit easier to get behind?? I like that I can get the 3-15 in MOA. Thank you!!!

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Eye releif is a little better on the 3-9. When you get up to around 12-15 power, head placement/eye relief is more critical, not a deal breaker but you just need to know it. I hear people say the "glass" isn't great on SWFA's but the 3-15 my buddy has was better at dark than my 3-12 LRHS and the SWFA reticle is more visible at last light.

balls47

FNG
I have a few SWFA scopes in different powers. I have never had an issue with any of them. On the other hand I've had issues with Vortex optics and know many guy's that also have had problems. I would go SWFA way before Vortex.