Switching from pickup to jeep wrangler

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Wife had a 4 door for awhile and used it as a daily driver. While they are good off road and fun to drive locally, they are no fun on long trips or on highway or for hauling anything. Back seat is very uncomfortable too. Depends on your specific needs but no way would I give up my pickup for a Wragler. Wife now drives a 4 runner and loves it (I like it for trips as well).

Loper

WKR
I’ve had a 4 door Wrangler for about 7 years. I like it and my young kids love it, but there are so many times where I wished I had a pickup truck for the bed. I’m going to drive the Jeep as a daily driver for another 2-3 years and then get a pickup. In my opinion, a pickup, especially one with 4 doors, is just so much more versatile for outdoor use.

However, I’m not getting rid of the Jeep as I know if I ever sell it I’ll regret it. In college I bought an old CJ5 and loved driving it with the top down and taking it off road. I sold it because there were so many issues with it and it was a money pit. I told myself that when I got older and could afford it, I’d buy a new Wrangler and hold on to it in perpetuity so I know the history of the vehicle and don’t buy something used not knowing it’s issues and having to pour a ton of money into it.

Last edited:
Absolutely no way I'd trade a truck for a jeep.

Jeeps are awesome for secondary/off road vehicles. They are absolute garbage for highway use. I had an 11 wrangler and while I was sad to see it go since I am offroad alot, I didn't realize how much I missed having a truck until it was gone.

Maki35

WKR
A friend did the switch from his Chevy 2500 pickup to a brand new 4 door Jeep wrangler.
There was nothing wrong with his pickup. He just thought he wanted something different. He has owned the jeep for a few years now. He brought the upgraded model. He said it's great in the snow, never worried about getting stuck. But he said it is cramp/ too tight for him. He's used to having a roomie cab and a large bed to throw all his hunting/ fishing gear into. Even when he goes on vacation (drives) he needs to make sure everything will fit in the back of the Jeep wrangler. With his pickup, everything fits. lol. He's now looking to get rid of the wrangler and get a new pickup truck.
I've owned a Chevy 1500, but I switched to a Tahoe. I never owned a Jeep wrangler. But I have driven them. It's ok. I find the interior kinda cramp too (it's not for me.) My next vehicle is Dodge pickup.

But some folks love them. Jeep Wrangler owners wave to one another as they drive by. "It's a Jeep Thing".

If you're unsure, I suggest renting a Jeep wrangler (Hertz or Enterpirse) for the weekend to see how you like it (it's easier to rent one, then buying it and not liking it.)

Last edited:

Loper

WKR
If you're unsure, I suggest renting a Jeep wrangler (Hertz or Enterpirse) for the weekend to see how you like it (it's easier to rent one, then buying it and not liking it.)

I second this. I would definitely suggest renting one. Hell, line up a 2-4 day outdoors outing and see if it fits your needs.

Anyone have any experience with the Jeep “truck?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thanks guys, most of what your saying is backing up the worries I have about this kind of switch. . . Probably just going to wait and get another pickup, but my drive a friend's jeep just to confirm things.

My only real need is when I pull an enclosed trailer which is literally about twice a year and I could cover that with a buddies pickup or my brothers that both live close.

Just my opinion, but there is nothing more annoying/aggravating than someone who approaches me to do something for them with my truck. It really grinds my gears when a conversation goes to, “hey, you got a truck?” I just roll my eyes and walk away.

A friend of mine traded in his F250 for a Tacoma that he tarted up to go “overlanding”. He asked if I could help him pick up some plywood and sheetrock. I told him that it must suck to pay $400 a month for a truck and have to still borrow a truck.

Fatcamp

WKR
I went from daily driving an F250 to a 4runner. Use the SUV for most trips. I will always have a truck, though.

I really like how capable my 4runner is in just generally getting around. It has a professional lift done and drives well on the interstate. Off-road it is handy for sure.

I will probably always keep an SUV of some type, but last Fall we used our F250 to go deer hunt due to having the kids and dog. The 4runner would get cramped. Without the kids we use the 4runner.

Remove rear seats and we can sleep. Yakima up top and a hitch hauler. Conduit along the roof rails for a big tarp. It's not a horrible way to go.

KIMG3282.JPG

Idk, if your ride in your Jeep is that rough, you have alignment or steering suspension wear issues. Mine rides smooth even at 80+; gas mileage I can get to 21-23 driving long distances, 18ish short freeway spurts, and about 16 through town, depending on how often I have to clutch. That's with solid steel front+rear bumper w/ wing out spare arm and a winch.

I considered this sort of thing before switching myself, since I hunt solo and no kids, the 4 door gives me more than enough room, especially since I was doing all my hunting out of a C Class Mercedes.

Main thing is: do you need the truck bed? I don't, and anything I would tow I could easily tow with the Jeep, so I went the Jeep route. I also liked the shorter wheelbase for tight roads vs the truck. If you need the truck bed, it's an obvious no brainer. For the Jeep Gladiator, you gotta go the diesel. My parents are getting 30+ mpg in that thing highway, wish I could afford that lol.

Moserkr

WKR
Owned a jeep wrangler TJ and it drove like crap until I dumped a bit of money into the suspension. Then it would go anywhere, but slowly. With 2 doors hauling more than a girl and dog was a challenge.

Went to a pickup and havent gone back but I miss being able to turn around on a one lane road. My pickups keep getting bigger and they are annoying on tight trails. Just put fresh scratches on a new 3500 chevy cause we needed to get to a trailhead…. Is what it is.

Point being, I see 2 options.
1- Jeep pickup diesel. Doesnt check all the boxes and may not tow your trailer. But it would go a ton of places and haul a decent amount of gear efficiently. With 37s and a decent suspension, it will go where no other rigs can until the trail is too tight. Which leads to option 2…
2- Pickup. Haul all your stuff in comfort including the trailer. Get a sxs, atv, or dirt bike to go places the truck cant. This would be my choice. Leave the truck as intended - to tow and haul. Get a small sxs to go places like trailheads or logging roads that destroy trucks and even jeeps - my old tj found lots of trails too tight.

My setup right now is a new 3500 chevy diesel with winch capability F/R, airbags, 5th wheel setup, external fuel tank totaling 100 gallons, bed cover. My last truck was a newer Ram 2500 diesel and i would rather have kept it but couldnt, set up similarly. My choice for a sxs is the honda pioneer 500. Small and simple, not built for speed, just work, priced right. But the choices are endless. I prefer HD trucks as the 1/2 tons have all broken under the demands of hunting I get into. The jeep broke a lot too at first…. Just my .02, hope you find what works best.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious who out there has made the switch from a pickup to a jeep Wrangler or similar.

Vehicle would be my daily driver and most likely used for my local hunting trips as well. I have a small trailer for my 4 wheeler and for when I mow. I have the option if keeping my 06 Chevy pickup as well but don't love the idea of keeping an extra vehicle around. I've had a pickup for years now but don't really "need" one most of the time. My only real need is when I pull an enclosed trailer which is literally about twice a year and I could cover that with a buddies pickup or my brothers that both live close.

Pros and cons? Happy with the switch or regret it?

Just looking at my options as I'm probably buying something new/newer this year. As late in the year as possible to hope prices come down but I have an income problem with my side business so will probably do something this year for the depreciation.

Let me know your thoughts if you've made the switch, or why you didn't!
Been there, done that. Never again.

After 25 years of wanting a jeep, working my butt off & always telling myself "no" to most things I didn't really need, I finally said "F it" & broke down & bought a 4 door wrangler...got everything just exactly like I wanted & we absolutely love it.
However it's not practical for hauling anything or getting stuff done. I look at it kinda like the mid life crisis convertible.
There's no way I'd ever not have a truck. Hundreds of reasons why.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. The Jeep is an amazing 2nd vehicle. I would sell it/trade it in a second for a truck if you made me choose. A good truck in any configuration is better in almost every way.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I moved overseas so most of this will be past tense for that reason.

I always had both. A diesel ram for hauling the fifth wheel and “truck” stuff and a jeep for playing. The TJ was a weapon prior to kids. It went everywhere and with a max of two people hauled whatever I needed.

Many deer and elk took a trip back here

988e2284433933e2813d6572fe7478c7.jpg

The boys and I took it out and went everywhere a quad would with a heater, AC, radio and relative comfort.

ace892b694fe050f38e27f6d0a00e0e8.jpg

da99a59667a481fa26ee97e1380d6d3c.jpg

A winch on each end helped

878d9436596d79eedb682a258afa6df3.jpg

Hauling bear bait with the kids in the back just meant I looked like the clampetts. Hold it all down with the winch.

de58826072a6fdac79576217d87046a6.jpg

Then the third kid arrived and I got the family model. We moved a year later so it never got built the way I wanted it but it still went everywhere I needed, not as many places as the tj but enough places and it was far more comfortable.

c1acf95214e0db3fe718e863c48d5f8d.jpg

Now you guys talk of a lack of space in them. How much do you need? Here’s three days worth of gear, a 3 and 5 year old in car seats, a calf sled and a moose. If you regularly have more gear then that you pack like a woman.

4aafeb3781d258b87cdbae0368899586.jpg

d74d0cb75fc2f12156b42080e9ee57a9.jpg

I don’t think I would ever not have a truck but as a second vehicle I think they’re great and an excellent off road toy. I much prefer a truck and Jeep to a truck and quad or sxs.

Ralphie

WKR
Not a jeep fan, but a 4Runner or land cruiser makes a great all around rig. Nice for highway travel and very capable on dirt, gravel roads and off road. Sleep in the back too. Heat, air, security for your stuff.

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
I like my XJ for a hunting/4x4 rig.
b74d5b0ea3e5242e3e3ead5b3d62dd61.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

kda082

WKR
I like your XJ too. Occasionally think about downsizing from my Ram but it would be like going from a recliner to a folding chair. I like my wife’s 4Runner but it’s difficult to get comfortable in. Jeeps are fun but would only own as a second vehicle.

I tried and ended up going with the FJ Cruiser. The wide stance just makes it more stable for the logging roads.