TAC Short Axle to Axle

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
My current whitetail bow is a V3 27. I love the bow but I’ve only never shot it past 40 yards. I’m going to do TAC Big Sky next year with some work buddies. My question is has anyone done TAC with a V3 27 or VXR 28, how was it? Any regrets? I know I can start extended my ranges to practice but I’m more worried about how a short ATA will perform at longer distances coupled with severe angles. I’m on the fence about just buying something like a used TRX 34 or V3X 33 as a dedicated 3D bow. Thanks!

Answer: I shot TAC in Killington VT a few years back with a short ATA bow and it worked just fine, your current bow will be good with practice at longer distances (shots were anywhere from 30yds to 130yds)

Answer if justifying to your wife: Your current bow deffinitely won't work due to the shorter ATA and won't be able to reach the longer targets, you need a new bow.

I did move to a longer ATA bow after shooting TAC for spot and stalk hunting as it is more forgiving for me and seemed to fit my hunting style better. I shoot exactly the same setup in practice as I do in hunting scenarios, with the exception of broadheads. Practice like you play.
Good luck, enjoy the course!

Last edited:
OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
What specifically is the worry?
Just stability and accuracy of such a short bow at long ranges. I’m guessing there’s a reason you don’t see a lot of short bows on western hunts.

OP
Kularrow

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Answer: I shot TAC in Killington VT a few years back with a short ATA bow and it worked just fine, your current bow will be good with practice at longer distances (shots were anywhere from 30yds to 130yds)

Answer if justifying to your wife: Your current bow deffinitely wont work due to the shorter ATA and won't be able to reach the longer targets, you need a new bow.

Good luck, enjoy the course!
Man you saw right through that one! Haha

sndmn11

WKR
Just stability and accuracy of such a short bow at long ranges. I’m guessing there’s a reason you don’t see a lot of short bows on western hunts.

Your hunting bow is your hunting bow, and I've thought non-scored events like TAC are intended to be hunting simulations. You're playing for improvement at a specific task.

There's no reason to start using equipment as band aids for a hunting practice event.

nphunter

WKR
Longer ATA bows are more forgiving as are bows with larger brace heights. I switched from a 29" bow to a 34" bow and wish I would have done it a long time ago. I can just shoot better all around with the longer more forgiving bow, even shots that don't feel great hit their mark.

I could shoot my shorter bow well also but not as consistently, the more forgiving bow is just that, more forgiving to poor shot execution, poor form and it is harder to torque a longer bow.

But, the only way I would switch to a longer bow is if you plan to hunt with it as well. If you pick up a longer bow and take it to TAC you may want to sell that 27" bow when you get home. Many people have different target bows than hunting bows, some put lighter limbs on for TAC, some use lighter arrows, etc. I like to shoot what I'm hunting at every shoot I go to.

sndmn11

WKR
But, the only way I would switch to a longer bow is if you plan to hunt with it as well. If you pick up a longer bow and take it to TAC you may want to sell that 27" bow when you get home. Many people have different target bows than hunting bows, some put lighter limbs on for TAC, some use lighter arrows, etc. I like to shoot what I'm hunting at every shoot I go to.

This is good advice and worth reading a few times.

Ive shot probably 6 TACs with my VXR 28s and will at the OK tac this weekend. Ive also shot 1 with a Phase 4 29, and 2 with a RX1 Turbo. Ill take the VXRs all day. I dont dial down draw weight, or do anything different with my bows for 3d season vs hunting season. Same arrows. 75#, 444 grain arrow. Im also a 27" draw, so that factors in as well. I dont notice that I shoot 32-33 ATAs any better than the VXR 28. I like the shorter ATA packing around and the VXR 28 just works for me.

If you have a shorter DL, the shorter ATA wont have as big of an impact if you have a longer DL. If you shoot it well, roll with it. I shoot 3d to prepare for hunting season. So theres that. If you plan to shoot 3d competitively, maybe bump up to a longer ata. Otherwise, shoot tac with what you plan to shoot in archery season.

big44a4

WKR
The only change I make for TAC I use a light arrow to maximize sight clearance. Last time I shot one had 160 yards on my sight tape and used it. That was with a 31” ATA bow. Since then I have a 33” hunting bow I will take to take with 373gr arrows for the same reason. I hunt with a 500gr arrow that only gets me clearance to 112 yards and is more expensive. Last two times I shot TAC I didn’t lose any arrows but still prefer to take a lighter and cheaper arrow build.

Rip XV for me.

nphunter

WKR
The only change I make for TAC I use a light arrow to maximize sight clearance. Last time I shot one had 160 yards on my sight tape and used it. That was with a 31” ATA bow. Since then I have a 33” hunting bow I will take to take with 373gr arrows for the same reason. I hunt with a 500gr arrow that only gets me clearance to 112 yards and is more expensive. Last two times I shot TAC I didn’t lose any arrows but still prefer to take a lighter and cheaper arrow build.

Rip XV for me.
How far are the furthest targets at TAC?

Furthest Ive shot was 141 on a bison in Texas. I can get to about 127 with heat vanes, beyond that its Doug Flutie 1984. If they say 40-100 on a course, most of the shots are 75-120.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
Go have fun with your current bow. (Oh wait, is your wife reading this?)
I MEAN, YES, HAVE TO GET A NEW BOW, NO WAY YOUR CURRENT ONE WILL WORK!!!

Really though, just make sure your sight axis's are dialed, that will be way more important. Really pay attention to your bubble on those long shots. And have rangefinders with angle compensation.
And don't take your most expensive/favorite arrows.

You might want to wait until you even get registered for the Big Sky TAC - the Friday/Saturday nock times go so quick you might be buying a new bow for nothing. Ask me how I know....Hahahahahahhaha.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I shot in Oklahoma this last weekend with my v3 31. My friends I was with were shooting their target bows. I was able to get out to 85 no problem. I just started shooting again after a 3 month hiatus and I am shooting like trash. I only lost 5 arrows and did 3 courses. I personally cant shoot an a 2 a bow that short but if I could I wouldn't hesitate to bring it if I was dialed on it. Its for fun anyway. If you want a trx or something like that go for it. Most guys are there with their hunting stuff. I saw one dude with an older single cam bow and he was in a t-shirt , jeans, and crocs. He was having just as much fun as everyone else.