Taking a non-Hunter along - Yes or No

rough crowd... if i knew someone and they were interested in hunting i would take them along. Thats how i got into it and thankful for the opportunity as well.
I wasn't even really interested in hunting... But Paul kept badgering me to go with him. He insisted I'd have fun. I went to shut him up.

I've now hunted in 7 states.

OP
M
Really enjoying reading all the yeses and nos - it sounds like it’s not much different than other similar endeavors where those who would encourage a tag along to come would value someone primarily with a positive attitude, who made efforts to be appropriately helpful without getting in the way, and wasn’t slowing progress, whereas for those who would rather hunt on their own it probably wouldn’t be as enjoyable for either person if they brought a tag along.

KenLee

WKR
The vast majority of my hunting is done within 10 miles of home. I'd take pretty much anyone that I don't dislike along if they wanted to go.
Out deer season lasts 3.5 months including bow, muzzleloader and rifle. Sits can get too routine and boring. It's nice to experience things though someone else's eyes and perspective.

Rich M

WKR
Really enjoying reading all the yeses and nos - it sounds like it’s not much different than other similar endeavors where those who would encourage a tag along to come would value someone primarily with a positive attitude, who made efforts to be appropriately helpful without getting in the way, and wasn’t slowing progress, whereas for those who would rather hunt on their own it probably wouldn’t be as enjoyable for either person if they brought a tag along.

Some of this goes with personal experiences.

I've done a lot of hunt and fish trades and swaps and such. Still talk with 3 of "50" folks I've either hunted or fished with over the last 25 years. Might be a good average, maybe not.

Most folks who say they can, really can't and won't... Anyway, based on my experience and the time and energy involved in a western hunt, I'm not willing to risk it.

Around home, I'm hunting with an 80 yo guy and/or my 83 yo dad. That's enough for me.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Most of the replies have focused on big game and western hunts. I would suggest starting with something a little easier. Waterfowl, pheasants, grouse, turkeys, etc are good ways to start. They each have their own challenges, but nothing like starting out on a backcountry elk hunt. Do NOT start on a backcountry elk hunt. That would be like the first time skiing you try the most challenging ski run. A midday pheasant hunt in good weather is a great way to start. Watch the dog work, enjoy nature. Then go from there. A good way to start is to volunteer for a conservation organization like Pheasants Forever, The Ruffed Grouse Society, etc and meet some hunters. You will get an invite most likely and take it from there! The National Wild Turkey Federation has mentor hunts, go check them out. A mentored turkey hunting a great way to start! There are other adult onset hunting programs out there. Check you Department of Fish and Game to see what they offer. Good luck to you and report back on how you like it.