Talk me out of, or into a canoe

It's a Wenonah Royalex model, which I know are highly desirable, which is keeping me hanging around as well. I know they were built to last as long as you maintain them.
Ok. Well, I finish with this. If you want the canoe, buy it. If you want to buy it based on potential need, that’s great too. But, don’t buy it with the expectation of recouping your investment if you decide to sell it. Lots of canoe buyers could care less of the brand. It’s a canoe. Upkeep is turn it over and cover it when not in use. That’s for all brands.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Buy it. I use mine sometimes once a year, sometimes 4 times a year. But I got space to store it and theres no on going costs or fees.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. Well, I finish with this. If you want the canoe, buy it. If you want to buy it based on potential need, that’s great too. But, don’t buy it with the expectation of recouping your investment if you decide to sell it. Lots of canoe buyers could care less of the brand. It’s a canoe. Upkeep is turn it over and cover it when not in use. That’s for all brands.
maybe true, but the ones who do care will pay a premium for a royalex wenonah. They're the pre-64 winchester of canoes, sort of.

Last edited:

mjh

FNG
I’m a dedicated canoe guy—solo and tandem—-even big 18.5 footer with three people and gear for a week in Woodland Caribou.

I’ve done 10ft kayaks—been in sea kayaks on Lake Superior and a Fjord in Norway. Always have had pain in kayaks—just can’t fold and sit and have my body in such uncomfortable positions for such length of time.

I have not tried a sit on top kayak. Some of the fishing sit on tops look great—-but not the weight.

A canoe 30 to 60 lbs easy to move around up on top of vehicle. Easy in and out. Minimal gear to a week or more of gear.

I can sit, kneel, heck even lay down, some
people pole canoes.

Royalex in good shape should be a good canoe. One of our canoes is a Wenonah Prospector 15 in Royalex— bought used—it’s been a great canoe. Been looking at Grey Duck canoes lately—-gotta replace a Soris River that my spouse did not like..

Get the canoe get on the local waters
Learn the useful paddle strokes have some fun.

Last edited:
Buy the canoe if it’s in good condition. If you have any buyer’s remorse after this summer, and it’s still in good condition, I’ll give you your money back and take it off your hands.

maybe true, but the ones who do care will pay a premium for a royalex wenonah. They're the pre-64 winchester of canoes, sort of.
Ok. If it’s such a good investment, you’d better buy it since the internet knows where you live. It won’t last long.

Buy it and sell it since you got it all planned out.

Coming from a guy that’s owned canoes, with friends that’s all owned canoes, I’m surprised you never having owned one, that you know so much about the used canoe market. Go get that hidden jewel.

bz_711

WKR
Buy it.

I made one trip to the BWCA in '22 with my son and trying to get back this summer. I loved it way more than I anticipated. Canoe travel/camping is awesome. I will just have to rent one again this summer if we go.

Would love to find a way to incorporate into a canoe hunt...to sneak into some areas maybe not accessible by foot. I've got one area in mind...but I don't have a canoe:)

Buy it. Good luck!

Have been around them my entire life. Currently have two kayaks though which really don't get used enough. Have done the boundary waters thing, but mostly it was the perfect boat for the small mountain lakes in the black hills growing up. We had ours rigged up with a small trolling motor and it was great for getting back in all the little spots a boat couldn't go. I think my dad had ours for 20+ years and sold it for more than he paid for it. It went on trips to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, Glacier NP, etc..... Perfect boat for a rig hauling a camper. Totally worth it for our lifestyle at the time. If I found a great deal like that I'd jump on it.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. If it’s such a good investment, you’d better buy it since the internet knows where you live. It won’t last long.

Buy it and sell it since you got it all planned out.

Coming from a guy that’s owned canoes, with friends that’s all owned canoes, I’m surprised you never having owned one, that you know so much about the used canoe market. Go get that hidden jewel.
Not sure what you're talking about, I've been paddling canoes for 40 years.

blackdawg

WKR
I have 2 Royalex canoes, different sizes, different purposes. Great tools in the outdoorsman's arsenal. I have 2 kayaks also, one sit on top, one sit in. The kayaks get used less each season as I understand the finer points of canoeing and paddling. Other than my small jon boats, the canoe is probably the most used and versatile tool in my arsenal.

mjh

FNG
I was counting up the fun money today. I reached out to Grey Duck. A new canoe to replace a sold canoe would go over a lot better than a new rifle. A canoe is for us. A rifle.....we'll yea all know who that would be for.

EdP

WKR
Royalex canoes are heavy, almost indestructable, and less sleek in the water than fiberglass or kevlar. Their best application is in rough water. Having had a 16' Mad River Explorer in Royalex I would pass the Wenonah especially for lake use. If you want a canoe get a Kevlar canoe with a keel so it will track on the lake and be easier for one person to load on and off a vehicle.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a good deal. Summer paddling is lots of fun and I’ve hauled a few deer out with a canoe in the fall.

I’d jump on it!