Talk to me about Gaiters

TheCougar

WKR
I have a pair of the FL lightweight gaiters (not waterproof) to keep stuff out of my boots. They are awesome and I highly recommend them. I don't even realize I am wearing them, but I sure know when I'm not because of all the crap in my boots. I also have a pair of Kuiu waterproof gaiters. I've only worn them once, but they seem okay. I do think the fabric is one of the quieter waterproof fabrics I have used. I don't know how durable they will be. Time will tell.

elkyinzer

WKR
Total revelation for me after I first scoffed at them.

Complete gamechanger in snow.

Great for light rain or dew, too light for rain pants but enough for the brush to soak pant legs. I wear them over rain gear to protect the wimpy fabrics from brush. Truly waterproof boots are in my eyes a holy grailesque mythological conquest, but gaiters really help keep boots dry by protecting the top.

For my fellow Appalachian people that trek through mountain laurel, blueberries, and huckleberry heath, you know that garbage that can untie a super quadruple knotted boot lace in 10 minutes, they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Greg Beck

WKR
I bought a pair of cheap ones to see if I liked them. I totally dig them!!! They keep all the crud out of your socks, boots, and pants! They help keep moisture out. They help me with keeping my pants from rubbing together as for some reason I swing my legs real close together. Wouldn't go without them.

Schism

WKR
Love my gaiters and wear them often! Wish I could figure out how to keep the metal clip from cutting through my laces tho.

I wear mine a lot, not as often as a I should. Snow, wet grass, they're great. I would agree they are not a substitute for rain pants, but there are also times when I prefer to just wear gaiters and forget the rain pants. Kind of depends on the circumstance. I don't wear mine much when it's really warm simply because my lower legs and feet sweat very badly with them.

If you have them adjusted properly, they will indeed keep water from going over the tops of your boots on a creek crossing.

Hall256

WKR
Is there a brand that is better for people with skinny calfs? The reason I ask, well one I have skinny calfs, but I had a pair of gaiters years ago and they kept slipping down. It seemed like I was spending more time tightening them and keeping them up...after awhile I just took them off and never used them again. Has anyone had similar issues, and if so did you find a brand that worked better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
Hall, I've used gaiters for many years and I too have chicken legs, for the last 4-5 years I've been using the kuiu ones and have been very happy with them.

rayporter

WKR
about 35 years ago after a hunt in knee deep snow my bud and i got gaiters and never looked back. they are great on horse back too.

i always put gaiters on in cold weather when i saddle up. keeps your feet warmer fro sure.

i have leather, canvas, nylon, and goretex gaiters and other than weight they all do the same job well.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a brand that is better for people with skinny calfs? The reason I ask, well one I have skinny calfs, but I had a pair of gaiters years ago and they kept slipping down. It seemed like I was spending more time tightening them and keeping them up...after awhile I just took them off and never used them again. Has anyone had similar issues, and if so did you find a brand that worked better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Skinny calfs too. My Cabela's work great

I don't like using them because they make too much noise when they rub every branch and bush. I use mine only when there is snow on the ground.

rewild

FNG
For another perspective... I've been bow hunting in Colorado for going on 30 years and have never used or thought... "I really wish I had gaiters". Seems like one extra thing to futz with. The first part of the season here is usually really dry (and getting drier). I do always have rain gear in my pack and have had to put it on a few times, but not very often. Rainstorms usually blow over pretty quickly and I often sit them out under a dense evergreen (not a lone or the tallest evergreen! We have some of the highest number of lightning strikes in the country, especially at high elevations). The last week of the season (3rd week of September) we'll sometimes get a drenching rain, turning to sleet, turning to snow... that's when the rain gear comes out, and I always have pac-boots at base camp, if it really snows.

ndbuck09

WKR
In various hunting media you'll see guys walking across streams with their gaiters and boots on. I've always wondered how water doesn't go up between the boot and gaiter and get in that way. I've always removed the old boots and barefooted it or tried to jump rocks across (which is risky in my opinon with threats of slipping and twisting an ankle).

For the guys that cross streams with their boots and gaitors, do you tie off below the top of your boot or do you just not do anything and hope fast moving prevents water creeping in? How often does the fast method fail for you?

wyodan

WKR
In various hunting media you'll see guys walking across streams with their gaiters and boots on. I've always wondered how water doesn't go up between the boot and gaiter and get in that way. I've always removed the old boots and barefooted it or tried to jump rocks across (which is risky in my opinon with threats of slipping and twisting an ankle).

For the guys that cross streams with their boots and gaitors, do you tie off below the top of your boot or do you just not do anything and hope fast moving prevents water creeping in? How often does the fast method fail for you?

I just step fast, and don't do anything other than wear my gaiters. I have crossed the major river in this area, so not just a little creek using this method. Don't know if it helps, but I do try to take my foot clear out of the water with each step. There is a pretty good seal between the boot and gaiter. Occasionally water will get in my boot, but usually just around the ankles. My feet never get really wet unless I go over the top of the gaiters.

WKR

I just keep hiking, fastest way to dry them out. But I'm one of those guys that brings several pairs of socks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk