Tarp Game Sled. Has anyone used this?

Some of the places I hunt that thing would be entirely impractical. The other places it is unnecessary. I’m having a hard time thinking of somewhere that it would create advantage.

Paramedics carried me out of the house awhile back in something very similar. I wondered to myself, that might be super useful for deer extraction.

I have quartered and sledded mulies out in a homemade contraption like this, but only in snow. It worked very well.

The dead sled is more practical and can be used over leaves and grass. A tarp would only work on snow with little to no obstacles. I’ve used the dead sled to drag out the four quarters of cow elk after I backpacked it out of the basin. The remaining mile or so was downhill on snow. I’ve used it to drag whitetails out of hardwood areas. I don’t see it online anymore but basically it’s a lightweight roll up plastic sled. I don’t pack it while hunting though.

How long of a haul and what terrain? I’ve pulled enough shit around in a skedco to know that tarp is gonna be a ton of drag and friction heat on most ground. Any ground conducive to using that would be just as easy to pull with a rope and handle by the neck.

They used to make a ABS sled in the 80's lace em up and head out. I don't think they are in business anymore? Might work in the eastern woods or flats?

I would recommend the Alaska gear company sleds
They don’t pack down quite as small but they are very handy and very durable

these are extremely helpful:

Try dragging a 291# hog with no assistance and the try with the above and tell me the difference.

0zfPILg.jpg

This type is also very helpful and much more portable:

I have used the J5 gear sled, it's good in snow and wet grass. If it's dry and or rocky we use our packs

I also have a regular sled with high sides (Otter i think) I drilled holes down the sides, and use a few ratchet straps to hold everything in, so you don't have a yard sale when it tips (post #6). I bring it with my mountain bike when there is some snow. I took a bull out 5 miles. It was on a closed road, all down hill, with snow.

A buddy has a roll up sled that is like 3/8" thick plastic. He has had it 20+ years. We have taken quite a few animals out on it, including a Bighorn Ram whole. It was about a mile, all steep down hill, light rain, lots of rocks. They don't make these anymore.

Attachments

• Sheep.JPG
    Sheep.JPG
    443.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Sheep2.JPG
    Sheep2.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 32
I have used the J5 gear sled, it's good in snow and wet grass. If it's dry and or rocky we use our packs

I also have a regular sled with high sides (Otter i think) I drilled holes down the sides, and use a few ratchet straps to hold everything in, so you don't have a yard sale when it tips (post #6). I bring it with my mountain bike when there is some snow. I took a bull out 5 miles. It was on a closed road, all down hill, with snow.

A buddy has a roll up sled that is like 3/8" thick plastic. He has had it 20+ years. We have taken quite a few animals out on it, including a Bighorn Ram whole. It was about a mile, all steep down hill, light rain, lots of rocks. They don't make these anymore.
That’s pretty much what the Alaska gear company sled is slightly improved
Like a abs plastic that rolls up

My brother has one that is black and a type of plastic that rolls up. We have used it to drag out whole cow elk and other elk quarters. It works really well on grass and snow. Going downhill you need another person behind it to hold it back so it doesn’t go sliding down the hill at Mach 10. 🤣

What we've also used is these cheap, blue plastic kids sleds. Now I know you're not going to pack one in, but if you can get back to the truck easy, works pretty good. Goes great on snow obviously, but they navigate dirt/grass pretty good too.

I would think that one of those roll up plastic slides would glide easier on the ground than a tarp.
I have one of those and have used it to drag out 1 whole cow elk and the halves of 2 bull elk.
It is thick enough to not tear when going over downed logs and rocks.
What we've also used is these cheap, blue plastic kids sleds. Now I know you're not going to pack one in, but if you can get back to the truck easy, works pretty good. Goes great on snow obviously, but they navigate dirt/grass pretty good too.
Years ago a friend and I each shot bull elk over 1/2 mile from our truck. There was some snow on the ground and we used one of these plastic kids sleds to drag the halves of our elk out.
There wasn't a lot left of the sled at the end of the 4th trip out.

Paramedics carried me out of the house awhile back in something very similar. I wondered to myself, that might be super useful for deer extraction.

I have quartered and sledded mulies out in a homemade contraption like this, but only in snow. It worked very well.
…how many deer are you shooting inside your house?!

Back