Taxidermy of African Animals

fmlyman

FNG
I'm doing an African Safari in South Africa in May and will be shooting 5 animals, all archery. For those that may have done this before did you have your taxidermy done in Africa or have it dipped and packed and shipped back to the states? What did you choose and why and what were the results? Will be north of Johannesburg. Thanks in advance for any input!

I brought mine back, I had the hides tanned and never had them mounted. I should have at least done euros. Shipping the stuff back cost way more than they said it would, everybody that even looks at the box gives you a bill.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
mounted there.
I did alot of euros and flatbacks.
Why. They have more experience mouting african animals in africa.
A good taxi is a good taxi
Its expensive though. Their is no hook up. They are good at getting in your wallet.

My dad has been to Africa to hunt twice, Once for plains game and most recently for cape buffalo. The first time he had everything mounted and shipped from Africa, as it was much more cost effective (much, much more cost effective) - and the mounts look great. Most recently it seems like the taxidermists in Africa must have caught on, as prices are pretty in line with what they are state side. This time he decided to have the cape buffalo dipped and packed to be shipped to the US. Even just dipping and packing turned out to be pretty expensive so it may still be more effective to have them mounted over there to skip out on that cost.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
African taxidermy is okay, but it isn't comparable to the premium studios we have in North America. And more importantly, shipping charges are priced by weight and also by volume. This is important to remember. The money you save by having taxidermy done in Africa will usually be lost with the extra weight and volume charges on the shipping end of mounted trophies, even with removable horns.

Get shipping quotes by air and by sea, the difference can be pretty substantial.

Last edited:

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going next year and was thinking of skipping the taxidermy and spending the money on more animals. Not sure if that's what I'll do yet but that's what I was thinking.
I will be honest, I love hunting, but I am getting tired of the taxidermy side of things. I am developing a taste for simple European skulls paired with nice photos, and I wish I did more of this years ago to save wall space. Taxidermy can look nice, but it is costly, takes up loads of space, and I personally tire of it over time.

Ralphie

WKR
Im in the camp of bring nothing home but lots of high quality photos and make big prints of your favorites and frame them. If I was going to have them mounted I’d have to have seen lots of examples of a S. African taxidermist’s work before they touched something of mine. Bad work, huge expenses for getting them shipped home and little to no recourse for you is the norm.

If you decide to have things mounted get it done stateside by a great taxidermist. And even then think about all the hunting you could do instead of the taxidermy.

Sevens

WKR
Two trips, shipped everything home and had it mounted stateside. Only animal I (sometimes) regret getting shoulder mounted is the cape buffalo … it’s just so freaking big. Probably should have done a skull mount on that one.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Four trips to 4 different countries over the last 20 years. I would never have my animals mounted in Africa again. I'm a slow learner as I did it with my 1st and 3rd trip. The first trip Eastern Cape the outfitter talked me into going with his go to taxidermist who gave me a big discount. Two of the 8 animals weren't mine that I received back 2 of the other ones were turned the wrong way. He also didn't use the forms he said he was going to. When contacted he gave me a real sincere apology and told me I'll make it up to you next time, of course you never go to the same area again.

My 2nd trip because I had some high end animals I had shipped to my taxidermist Don Capps in Mt. The difference in quality is quite noticeable to all of my stuff done in Africa. My 3rd one I got cheap again and had a guy in Windhoek do the taxidermy another bad decision of a slow learner. This time at least everything I got back was what I shot but they have so many guys that are just workers mounting stuff that the quality sucks again. I learned my lesson but it was too late. I really wished I would have asked the question you did before I went I will never get anything mounted in Africa again. Good luck and have fun.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Get it mounted in the USA by a reputable taxidermist. The African stuff is not even close in quality. Don't save any backskins, you will probably never use them. Some animals look good as European mounts, (Wildebeest, Warthog, Buffalo). Shipping is never cheap as mentioned above already.

gearguywb

WKR
I hunted Namibia and S. Africa many years ago. Had a few mounts done over there. Frankly, the quality was pretty poor.

I plan to go back in a year or so for buffalo and some other things. Will do a Euro mount on the buff, ship back the hide/heads for mounts that I will truly care about.

My dad paid to have all of his stuff mounted (in Africa by Africans) when he went to Africa, and it got hung up in US customs for 2 years. He wasn't happy. There is no telling what he paid to get that stuff to his house. It looks nice but I wouldn't have spent the money to get what he got done. No way.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Don't be talked into back skins, they're just a waste of money. Maybe do 1-2 shoulder mounts out of your five animals? I will agree with most here that African taxidermy is rather ordinary and there is no real cost savings anymore.

Shipping/customs brokers are crooks IMHO and even though I was quoted a price, it was much more. What am I going to do drive to NY and yell at them in their office? You may get reasonable quotes on taxidermy done in Africa, but when you add all the fees.....transport/customs/storage you'd have probably been better off having them done in the US.

Another thing I've learned is many African outfitters don't have very good field staff to immediately care for your stuff. Many use old salt and your capes can really suffer.

I've come to the conclusion to do more euros, take high resolution photos.....that can be reprinted on canvas, and call it good. After enjoying my shoulder mounts for 20 years and downsizing, I sold 75% of my heads. Obviously I didn't recoup the costs of mounting them, but I made more room and probably got 35% of original prices.

I did a euro on my cape buffalo on a beautiful piece of wood and it was a smart choice. It saved space and money and has it's own unique beauty.

OP
F

fmlyman

FNG
I brought mine back, I had the hides tanned and never had them mounted. I should have at least done euros. Shipping the stuff back cost way more than they said it would, everybody that even looks at the box gives you a bill.
How many animals and what did it end up costing you?

OP
F

fmlyman

FNG
Great tip on the back skins! I was wondering what I would use them for but thought 'everybody does it so I will'. I can't see myself using them. I was going to go euro mount for the Impala but was thinking shoulder for the kudu, gemsbok, and blue wildabeest because I don't want to lose all the colors/lines that make up their look. The warthog I'm indifferent on. After reading some of the comments it sounds like getting it done state-side is the way to go to ensure you get the quality you want.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Outfitters are often paid commissions from taxidermists, which is why there is a strong push to have the work done overseas.

This is 100% correct.

The only things I shoulder mounted were small. A grey duiker and a steenbok. My kudu, warthog and springbok I did euro. I negotiated a "discount" on some animals if I used his taxi. His taxi is one of the better ones and I did a ton of research before so I didnt have too many reservations.

How many animals and what did it end up costing you?
10 animals, I don’t remember the cost it was years back. I just remember that was the only part of the trip planning that cost more than I was told. I would get random bills from all these different people claiming they had to do something with my box. As far as I know (remember) the outfitter -PH crated everything after they do whatever they do…dipping, whatever and that box stayed intact until I opened it. Yet all these random ”departments” claimed they had to do something. It wasn’t huge cost each time but it started feeling like I was getting screwed, pay or else.

Take gifts for your trackers and others involved, mine were completely fascinated with binoculars and flashlights, again this was a long time ago so that might have changed. I would consider taking clothes, hats and shoes to give to those guys when you leave.
The trackers ability to cover ground, spot live game and track animals after they were shot was nothing short of amazing. They can see game as good with their naked eye as I could with my Swarovski binos. They consider it an honor to carry your gun, I broke down and let them do that a couple time. Each night they borrowed my flashlight to walk 20 miles back to town to show off the fact that they were working as trackers and wanted to show off the flashlight. I would think any gift that would associate them as having a tracking job would be much appreciated.
The girls that cleaned and cook for me literally lived in dirt floor huts, when I went to tip them their homes were in perfect order, nothing out of place. I remember when I walked up the lady was sweeping her dirt floor with a homemade broom. I know some of this is pretty random and has nothing to do with the thread.