Telling someone you have 'ignored' them = name calling?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I appreciate the ignore feature very much. It’s great to utilize on members who are repeatedly toxic and belligerent in every thread they participate in, or those members who would attempt to make everything political. Ignoring them means I don’t see any of their trash anymore, as if they don’t exist. Makes the forum much more clean and tolerable.
This is exactly why I left several different forums.

*zap*

WKR
I hate being ignored.....at least tell me if your doing it to remove all the suspense involved..

fwafwow

WKR
Good thread. How did you do that spoiler thingy?!

I admit to essentially telling someone they were put on my ignore list (something like “one more person added to my ignore list”in a thread where it was pretty obvious). Now that you have posted this thread, it does seem petty in hindsight. But I have loads of other more serious personality problems, as well as a general level of incompetence. I’m a work in progress. I’m also confident I’m ignored.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Good thread. How did you do that spoiler thingy?!

I admit to essentially telling someone they were put on my ignore list (something like “one more person added to my ignore list”in a thread where it was pretty obvious). Now that you have posted this thread, it does seem petty in hindsight. But I have loads of other more serious personality problems, as well as a general level of incompetence. I’m a work in progress. I’m also confident I’m ignored.
Better than me, I'm a very bad person who occasionally does good things.

I have found that most comments have something to offer. Some fill gaps in knowledge while some some fill gaps in understanding. It is my choice to take what I choose and leave the rest.

I have only chosen the ignore tab once. At this point in my life I don't tolerate lectures from idiots very well. They are like phone calls from your ex-wife. Not needed!
This is my policy. Convention, debate, and different ideas are interesting.

I've used ignore once. There's a diesel forum that was a busy, rough place in the late aughts. Our unofficial motto was "where the weak and killed and eaten". One member could not refrain from just incessantly personally attacking everyone he saw post that he'd ever disagreed with. Not even on that topic. Like if I saw someone here that I didn't agree with 3 weeks ago in a discussion about 6.5cm say that he likes IPAs "well you're a stupid inbred communist with bad taste in everything so there's no way I could possibly drink the same beer as you because I'm not gay and stupid."

Dobermann

WKR
I haven't got to read all'a y'alls no doubt considered and nuanced reflections above, but I try to hold out hope that sound reason, good grace, and encouraging people to try stuff out for themselves can bring some people around on this site.

I seem to recall mfggxxx or whatever his name is posted some silly stuff early on, and now is rocking it, asking great questions, testing gear and his own skills, and really contributing.

And that TK guy posted some really aggressive stuff early on, got called out, changed his username and turned it down from an 11 to a 10.5 ... :)

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You wouldn't be able to post in the thread because you wouldn't see it. ;)

I don't understand the OPs point ... ignoring is name calling? Maybe he'll explain.
No, ignoring is fine. I feel telling someone you are ignoring the is about equivalent to name call and not productive, so I thing some who feels the need to publicly state they are using the ignore feature should be treated like name calling is.

Like pointing out that someone is being rude, there can be contexts where it is appropriate to tell someone you are ignoring them, but I have yet to see such a case.

t_carlson

WKR
Some people are just more fragile than others.

I like the ignore feature. Not to avoid having to fill out my own hurt feelers reports, but to keep track of who I will and won't give advice/info to. If I can't see their post, I can't accidentally help them.

No, ignoring is fine. I feel telling someone you are ignoring the is about equivalent to name call and not productive, so I thing some who feels the need to publicly state they are using the ignore feature should be treated like name calling is.

Are you serious?

That's stretching things quite a bit IMO

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you serious?

That's stretching things quite a bit IMO
I am serious.

Explain how it is a stretch? Explain what function declaring you are ignoring someone serves that is more advanced than kids arguing?

Specifically calling out a behavior is more valuable.