Tent versus Hammock

Doing first pack in Elk hunt in CO in September. Was debating using a hammock sleep system instead of a tent. Not having to worry about level ground and sleeping on the rocky ground. Anyone with experience with hammocks and suggestions?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do some searching, there are a couple good threads in this forum on this topic.

In general, you'll freeze your butt off in a hammock if you don't know what you're doing. You have to have top insulation but pay much more attention to bottom insulation that you do in a tent because you've got air space under you.

Hammocks are comfortable to sleep in, generally heavier than a light tent setup, and colder as mentioned. They are handy in wet weather, and you have a built in chair. They're good in timber and uneven ground, not good above timberline.

Like RockChucker said - they are great in warmer weather, but you will freeze when it just gets chilly - especially in a 5mph+ wind.

I have a few hammocks and we use them on overnight trout fishing trips. My Son always jokes that we’re making it more convenient for a bear to eat us - wrapped up like a burrito/taco! Again, I LOVE them in warmer weather - it’s hard to beat the comfort of a good hammock. Good luck!

CJF

WKR
Agree with RockChucker...
I have a Henessey Hammock and will use it during the summer months when the night temps wont drop below 45. It gets cold after that. I had thought about getting an underquilt for it but by then the weight and bulk outweigh the benefit. During season I run a tarp, sleeping pad, and 20 degree bag.

Another note - I have a buddy with a bad back who just started using a hammock two seasons ago.

He’s like a different person now - no aches and pains in the mornings.

If you have a bad back - the extra insulation layers needed for a hammock and being able to ditch a pad might be worth it. Again, good luck!

OP
T
Another note - I have a buddy with a bad back who just started using a hammock two seasons ago.

He’s like a different person now - no aches and pains in the mornings.

If you have a bad back - the extra insulation layers needed for a hammock and being able to ditch a pad might be worth it. Again, good luck!

So if I use an under quilt I don't need a pad?

sneaky

"DADDY"
So if I use an under quilt I don't need a pad?
Yes. Key is to buy a quality under quilt. If you piece together a good hammock system it'll be equivalent in weight to a tent setup, but if you are on a steep ridge it'll give you tons more options for places to sleep. I had to kick out a deer bed on the side of a ridge last year because I left my hammock at home. A hammock would have made that a non issue. Above timberline take a tent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
IMO, you want the functionality of a tent in the mountains during hunt seasons.

I use a hammock on some summer backpack trips in warm stable weather....only rookies use hammocks on hunts in the Rocky mtns.

sneaky

"DADDY"
IMO, you want the functionality of a tent in the mountains during hunt seasons.

I use a hammock on some summer backpack trips in warm stable weather....only rookies use hammocks on hunts in the Rocky mtns.
I've seen some pretty nice hammock and tarp setups with a stove included that looked pretty comfy though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I use a hammock setup and vastly prefer it to sleeping on the ground. But it is definitely a system. Hammock, tarp, underquilt, topquilt, etc. I used it on a 4 day backcountry trip in October this year with temps to the teens, snow, and wind. It worked okay, but under those conditions a tent would have been more functional for getting completely out of the elements, even if the sleeping wasn't as good. I woke up to 18 inches of snow on day 4 and had to bail off the mountain. I found that getting dialed in with your hammock setup takes some practice. If you have the experience, or time to get the experience before your hunt, then I think it is doable. If not, trying to figure it out on the side of the mountain is not great.

For what it's worth, my whole setup with hammock, tarp, and quilts is sub five pounds. I think that compares pretty favorably with the weight of a tent, pad, and sleeping bag. Also, good hammock gear is not cheap. I am several hundred dollars into my setup.

I am in the same camp as some of the above. I use both depending on when and where. I love my hammock, under quilt, top quilt, tarp combo for comfort, but when it gets really cold, or I will be above timber line I like either my sawtooth or my megatarp with a stove.

If you want to try the hammock route, I recommend highly to spend a few nights in it, even in your back yard to get it dialed in. Also, don't buy a big store hammock as they are typically too short. You will typically want an 10-11'.

For more hammock info than you could ever want check out hammockforums.net.

Btaylor

WKR
I did my first backpack hunt this past season for archery opener. Went with a hammock system. Read lots before hand and watched a bunch of vids on hanging setups. Went to the mountain. I did opt to use an insulated pad rather than underquilt in case it was too much suck and I needed to go to the ground. Worked fine for me and I slept well in it and never had any body aches that always came with ground sleeping.

OP
T
I did my first backpack hunt this past season for archery opener. Went with a hammock system. Read lots before hand and watched a bunch of vids on hanging setups. Went to the mountain. I did opt to use an insulated pad rather than underquilt in case it was too much suck and I needed to go to the ground. Worked fine for me and I slept well in it and never had any body aches that always came with ground sleeping.

I figured it wouldn't get too cold in early archery season. I have a pad already and was going to the outdoor vitals underquilt that will zip up over if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

If I have an underquilt and pad do I need a bag? Or can I get away with not.

Btaylor

WKR
I figured it wouldn't get too cold in early archery season. I have a pad already and was going to the outdoor vitals underquilt that will zip up over if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

If I have an underquilt and pad do I need a bag? Or can I get away with not.

Insulated pad or an underquilt is an absolute must. We camped a shade above 10k and the lows were down close to freezing a couple mornings. Had a bear come through camp about 3 am the first night that made me question my decision to hang but waking up with no pain made that thought quickly disappear.

- - - Updated - - -

No I took a 15* down bag and wouldnt want less than that for the temps we had. Stayed plenty warm but was never hot.

twall13

WKR
You've been given some pretty good info. so far. I prefer a hammock for most situations (though not all), but as others have stated, it takes some time to get your hammock system dialed so don't plan on figuring it out on your hunt. At this point I think I have 4 different underquilts, several top quilts, 2 hammock specific tarps, and a whole bunch of hammocks. Different quilts with different temperature ratings, one of my tarps is a "winter tarp" that has doors to block the wind in all directions, etc. For the average guy who doesn't want to spend the time figuring out how to make a hammock system work for them, a tent is probably a better option. I personally love that I can set up on hillsides, I don't have any condensation issues and stay dry regardless of the weather, I can sit in my hammock to pull my boots on and I don't have to crawl around on my hands and knees in a tent. Plus, I personally sleep better in a hammock but I know that's not the case for everyone.

For those saying they won't hammock in the cold, I understand where you are coming from, but it can be done comfortably with the right gear and knowledge. I've personally slept in temps down to 15* on multiple occasions and been fine, but again, I have the gear and know how to make it work. I also know of other guys who sleep in hammocks in temps down to negative 30-40. I don't have the gear, or the desire, for those conditions but most hunts you won't encounter anything like those temperatures.

I gave up tents about 5 years ago and couldn't be happier. With the right system you can be comfortable in just about any weather. I highly recommend warbonnet gear but the are also other great companies like Dutch gear and jacks r better. The warbonnet blackbird with a 0 degree wookie, 3 season mamba and the super fly tarp worked well for me in temps to 15 and I don't hurt like in a tent. You will have around $800 in a setup like this but comfort is worth it to me and I use the hammock and tarp for camping pretty regularly so it's used a lot.

Shraggs

WKR
I do both depending on conditions, good to have both.

Henessy hyperlite 1.5 lbs
Bear paw 10’x10’ Cuban tarp 8oz
EE 20* revelation top quilt 17 oz
EE revolt underquilt 13oz
Stakes cordage 1-2 oz

4 lbs not bad. Been in 28* comfortably. Also been in one windy and raining night comfortably, but mentally on edge. The sway can be nice tho.

rayporter

WKR
my ol pard used a hennesy for years on the mountain. we had some cold on occasion and wet too but it never bothered him, he slept like a rok. he had 2 short wally world self inflatable pads he put in it.

I got that hennesy now and I have tried several times to sleep in it but it is not possible for me.

superA

WKR
An hummingbird hammock is only 14 ounces with straps. If you use a ground pad and tarp anyway, that's a very light weight penalty to sleep off the ground or take naps in. Can't beat a hammock for a camp chair.