Tents and Sleep System

Ggarrett

FNG
I am looking to do my first backpack hunt this coming fall and would like a pretty versatile system. I would like to find something as close as I can to “do it all”. Whatever I purchase now will probably be all I use for the next few years. As far as weather conditions go I will be hunting archery seasons from Arizona to Montana and everywhere in between, wherever the tags take me. I would like to find something affordable but know quality comes at a cost. As far as hunting style I would like the ability to be mobile.

IDVortex

WKR
Feather and Friends or a WM bag, you need to decide on a hot tent or not, non hot tent, id look at a 2p Tarp Tent, or Big Agnes UL p2 tent, unless you want super lightweight, you could do a tarp and only use a tarp. I'd also make sure to spend the money on a good quality sleeping g pad, even if you get a quailty bag, your sleep will be trash if all you have is a foam pad or a cheap pad.

t_carlson

WKR
Kifaru Supertarp w/ annex (light, floorless, can accommodate Ti wood stove)

Thermarest X-Lite pad

Medium to high quality 15-20 degree down bag (ex: Marmot Helium)

That is about as versatile and light as you will get.

J31Bodie

FNG
I was on the same learning path you're on now for about 18 months, and I decided on two tents. First, for backpacking and general camping, I got a Durston X-Mid 2-person tent. Super light, easy to set up, you can use hiking poles or use their ultralight shock-corded adjustable poles (or break a thin tree, for that matter) to hold it up. It's super easy to use, really easy to carry, and durable. I would suggest their groundcloth too, to be safe. The second tent I settled on is the Litefighter 2, which is current military issue and is really a great tent. It's pretty bulletproof, comes with its own groundcloth, and easy to pack up and carry. The Durston comes in at 35oz, just over two pounds. The Litefighter weighs more, about 120oz. Both are easy to carry but I made the choices because I like to go light for thru-hiking and backpack camping, and because the Litefighter works great for those or for everything else too, and is in Multicam when I want/need to blend into the surroundings. Both are excellent quality and durable.

If I'm going with one tent, it's the Litefighter. If you need a four-season tent, you can just add their winter layer to it too, then it's a very capable four-season shelter. Good luck on your choice!

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Some general guidelines that I think would be pretty relevant:
  • Tent wise, subtract 1-2 persons from the tent size. IE - a 2 person tent is more like a 1 person. A 4 person Tipi with a stove is more like a 2 person. Recommendations: Big Agnes Copper Spur 2P, Seek Outside Guardian, Argali Absaroka, Seek Outside Cimarron,
  • Quality 15-20 degree sleeping bag or quilt should be flexible enough for the majority of temps.
  • Quality Sleeping Pad with an R value of at least 4 (Thermarest XLite/XTherm, Big Agnes Zoom UL/Rapide SL, Nemo Tensor Insulated/Extreme, Exped 5R)
If going with a floorless tent, you'll want a ground sheet to put under your pad like tyvek.

For what you said, a Hilleberg Niak and a WM Badger to cover everything. I personally prefer options and various bags and shelters, but for 1 and done that’s what I’d be buying.

rcb2000

WKR
For what you said, a Hilleberg Niak and a WM Badger to cover everything. I personally prefer options and various bags and shelters, but for 1 and done that’s what I’d be buying.
This.. you could make pretty much any hunt with this combo work.