Tents/Shelters Being Stolen?

I came across a six pack of Keystone light in a stream a few years ago. I was in an area so remote I figured it must have been washed down as the cans were fairly dented. I was 3 beers in when the poor bastard walked up on me sunning myself on a rock enjoying the beers he carried 8 miles in. I still feel bad to this day, can't imagine the type of guy that would leave someone stranded in the Wilderness without a shelter. If I were to walk up on someone raiding my campsite miles from the trailhead...... It would get very ugly.
Did you report him for baiting humans

spdrman

WKR
My buddy had his sleeping bag stolen on a hunt in Utah in 2012, he set it out to air out we went and stalked some deer came back and it was gone, nothing else missing had coats and shirts on the same line airing out and that's all they took, had a horrible rain/wind storm come in that night and he through all his clothes on and all mine that night and hated it. We where on our way out the next morning to get him a new bag and he was lucky enough to whack a deer so atleast we didn't have to hike out empty

husky390

WKR
Ha. Maybe subconsciously I convinced myself they were dented up. The guy was really nice about it. Poor guy.... But why carry a six pack all that way and choose Keystone!?!

Because it's Keystone Light and he figured no one would mess with it. I'm mean, c'mon, Keystone Light?!? The guy was probably standing in front of the beer cooler thinking "I need some beer that I can pack in that nobody in their right mind would drink if they found it. H'mmm Bud, Miller, Coors, AH HA! Keystone Light. Perfect."
When I was in High School I wouldn't even steal that from my parents fridge and they knew it. :)

Great story though.

I worry more about my truck at the trail head and running into stinking hippies on the trail. I was hunting Kaibab in Az and a F.S. employee warned me to watch out for them for a couple day's earlier they were throwing rocks at a father and son who were archery hunting.

I came across a six pack of Keystone light in a stream a few years ago. I was in an area so remote I figured it must have been washed down as the cans were fairly dented. I was 3 beers in when the poor bastard walked up on me sunning myself on a rock enjoying the beers he carried 8 miles in. I still feel bad to this day, can't imagine the type of guy that would leave someone stranded in the Wilderness without a shelter. If I were to walk up on someone raiding my campsite miles from the trailhead...... It would get very ugly.

I've had beer float away on me in the spring, when the creek came up in the afternoon, made for an easter egg hunt. Never had any of my stuff messed with though. At least by two legged critters.

colonel00

WKR
I've had beer float away on me in the spring, when the creek came up in the afternoon, made for an easter egg hunt. Never had any of my stuff messed with though. At least by two legged critters.

Shrimp pots work well for keeping beverages corralled in a river :D

100_0262.JPG

Otherwise, build a dam and hope the water doesn't rise.

DSCN0499.JPG

Oh, and in regards to the topic of the thread, I have never worried too much about my tent and stuff but I have always been afraid to come back to have my vehicle up on blocks or even gone.

Small expensive items I hide near camp prior to leaving for the day.

I worry more s out my truck at the trailhead.

I do the same. trailheads in CO get hit often. I do stash things like my pistol that i like to sleep with but not hunt with. I agree with what alot of you have said,that where im camped at,only good (Rokslider)type guys will be the only ones around ,if anyone.

c5mrr270

WKR
C5mrr270 that is crazy! Was it someone else that was watching your target animal?

Hard to say, who it was or what their motivation was. All I know is that I was lucky to be in cell service and have good friends. I managed to call a buddy who met me at the trailhead with two packs and helped me pack the buck out. Turned my 7 mile day into about a 14 mile day though.

"I worry more about my truck at the trail head and running into stinking hippies on the trail. I was hunting Kaibab in Az and a F.S. employee warned me to watch out for them for a couple day's earlier they were throwing rocks at a father and son who were archery hunting."

Pretty ballsy to throw rocks at hunters. You could kill someone with a well placed rock. If I felt that one of my kids was being threatened, I'm not quite sure what my response might be.

When I lived in MT. a buddy and me went over to Dillon, MT to fish the Beaverhead for about 4 days. We got there mid morning and set up camp on Clark Canyon Reservoir. We had brought our own firewood with us because if you know the area there ain't much for firewood laying around. The whole time on the way over there my buddy kept saying "we are gonna have to hide the firewood". "Don't want anyone to steal it". Well we set up camp put our sleeping bags and extra fishing gear in the tent and hid the "wood" and headed to float the river. We fished all day and wore out some bruiser fish on PMD nymphs. After getting off the river we went to the Buffalo Lodge to get a bite and drink lots of celebratory beers after such a great day on the river. We were pretty sloshed and the bar was closing so we headed to our tent site to get some sleep in order to do it again the next day. When we were driving down the old two track down to the lake our head lights were in search of our campsite to no avail. Got to the site and someone had stole all our s&!t. Looked for the firewood and guess what?? it was still there...needless to say it was a long night and even longer next few days cause the fishing was so good we just couldn't leave. I slept under a drift boat in an army surplus sleeping bag the rest of the week. It rained every night but I caught more 22"&23" fish than ever before or ever again. Wish I could've caught the sorry bastards that did that.

Touch my shit and your libel to get your ass shot. Seriously, in the ass.
And that includes pilfering my cold beers. Ask and I'll share, help yourself & I get vindictive.
Swapping warm for cold is fair though, as long as it's better than you took. (wink)

My brother had his tipi slashed during archery season year before last.
Now that's just plain mean. Cost him $300 to have it patched & sewn up.
Anymore we cable lock a trail cam to a tree in camp.
Hunt'nFish

Touch my shit and your libel to get your ass shot. Seriously, in the ass.
And that includes pilfering my cold beers. Ask and I'll share, help yourself & I get vindictive.
Swapping warm for cold is fair though, as long as it's better than you took. (wink)

My brother had his tipi slashed during archery season year before last.
Now that's just plain mean. Cost him $300 to have it patched & sewn up.

Hunt'nFish
Agree with the shot in the ass and cold beer swap for warm beer especially if say it were a Blue Moon. Like the idea of a well placed trail camera to watch over your stuff. Some of them "tree hugging berry eaters" sure can get rambunctious when there liberal asses want to disrupt hunters for what cause they have really no idea about. Wearing their leather hiking boots so they can go hike up some trail to smoke some weed before they head home for a chicken or steak dinner. SMDH.
Anymore we cable lock a trail cam to a tree in camp.

husky390

WKR
"I worry more about my truck at the trail head and running into stinking hippies on the trail. I was hunting Kaibab in Az and a F.S. employee warned me to watch out for them for a couple day's earlier they were throwing rocks at a father and son who were archery hunting."

Pretty ballsy to throw rocks at hunters. You could kill someone with a well placed rock. If I felt that one of my kids was being threatened, I'm not quite sure what my response might be.

My thoughts exactly when I heard that.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
hunt solo in a few states as non-resident ( UT or NM if drawn. CO, AZ for OTC ).
southern Utah is baddd, New Mexico is close 2nd for my worst experiences of getting camp gear stolen or truck broken into or messed with.
3 bads out of 5 general archery deer draws in UT. 2 bads of 3 arch elk draws in NM.

Walked back into AZ late archery camp one early afternoon. On my walk in, noticed a beat up car parked 100' away from camp. Approaching cautiously, draw my G20 out as guy stepped out from area around back my tent. The look on his face, he just about shiat his pants. Said he was looking for his friend "Roger". Dressed in blue jeans, flannel shirt, with a local tweaker appearance, I could tell he was up to no good. But his hands were clear and He left, nervously in a hurry. Couple hours later, packed up my camp and drove to another unit.
Now I see strange vehicle in camp proximity, I take a cell pic of it's plate and of the vehicle.

picked up old UT, NM, CO & AZ license plates as my truck usually is in camp during my hunts. Take mine off, replace with state plate that I'm hunting in. Now if I do drive anywhere, have to use my resident state plate. But only takes couple minutes to switch the rear plate.
No problems anymore with camp gear or peeps messing in my camp (game cams used).
and for 2020 have motion activated front/rear cams on my truck too.

a non-resident license plate is a green light for thieves and bad local peeps.
They know local authorities won't do crap without solid evidence incriminating them.