Terminus Zeus quick change explanation

SDHNTR

WKR
I can’t figure this thing out and oddly there doesn’t appear to be any info on the Terminus website. Is this their creation or some aftermarket adaptation to their action? I don’t understand why they don’t provide a more detailed description, seems like a highly marketable option if it really works.

So how do those set screws work. 10” pounds is nothing! How does it hold that barrel in place. Do the set screws find a home in some recess on the barrel to lock it in place? Or do they just smash fit into the threads? Galling?

Do you need special prefit barrels or will any barrel work?

And why do I have to ask all these questions here? Where’s the info on this?

wapitibob

WKR
I suspect rotational forces from the bullet in the rifling keep it tight, maybe? Barbourcreek James screwed one on in one of his vids; give it a quick twist, set screws snug, and fire away.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I suspect rotational forces from the bullet in the rifling keep it tight, maybe? Barbourcreek James screwed one on in one of his vids; give it a quick twist, set screws snug, and fire away.

Zero chance I’m taking anyone’s simple word for it without a thorough explanation of the engineering behind the concept, which is what I’m looking for. And I’m certainly not taking someone’s word for it with that bad of a haircut!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I still don’t understand what those setscrews are engaging against. Is it just galling against the barrel threads underneath?

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Zero chance I’m taking anyone’s simple word for it without a thorough explanation of the engineering behind the concept, which is what I’m looking for. And I’m certainly not taking someone’s word for it with that bad of a haircut!

You should contact Joel at Terminus- he can explain things to you. I have a Zeus and went with the QC version. Super easy install. If you go with the QC version, you can also use the full tenon barrel threads and use an action wrench if you feel inclined.

There’s a big thread on snipershide about Terminus actions and they go into the details of the QC tenon.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
There’s no threads underneath the set screw - look at the tenon prints. Proof research is doing on the shelf prefits and many smiths are cutting prefits as well.

View attachment 543452
Bingo. Ok, that’s what I thought I envisioned from looking at the prints. Your pic confirms what I needed to see. Thanks!

Why aren’t they marketing this more? This is a game changer? There’s little to no info on their website at all.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You should contact Joel at Terminus- he can explain things to you. I have a Zeus and went with the QC version. Super easy install. If you go with the QC version, you can also use the full tenon barrel threads and use an action wrench if you feel inclined.

There’s a big thread on snipershide about Terminus actions and they go into the details of the QC tenon.
I get it now. I just don’t understand why Terminus keeps the whole thing enshrouded in obscurity. Assuming my patent was strong (and maybe that’s the issue?) I’d be hollering from the rooftops if this were my baby!

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The Zeus actions are pretty well known and Joel posts a bunch on SH and LRH. It’s really a one man show over there and lead times have killed the marketability of the Terminus actions generally, IMO.

The QC feature isn’t a real benefit for 99% of shooters in 99% of situations. Personally, I think the trigger screws (instead of pins) is far more beneficial.
I’m a fan of that idea too, trigger screws! Much better than pins. Another wonderful idea I had to find out about here instead of from the manufacturer. Sounds like the guy really needs help! Kinda tired of the availability excuses!

And I wouldn’t be so sure with the 99% stuff. The ability for the average Joe to screw on a barrel with no specialized tools is a huge benefit. The ability to change to different cartridges in literal seconds without spending R8 money is huge too! One platform and you can functionally have multiple guns. What’s not to like.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m just saying, how many barrels did you swap in the last 12 months? For 99% of shooters, that answer is going to be 0 or maybe 1. How many barrels have you NEEDED to swap “in the field”? I’d say that situation is an answer looking for a problem.

Being able to “quick” change a barrel is marginally easier than torquing an action to a barrel in a vice. A vice that could be on a truck hitch if you really needed to be mobile. It’s not a specialized procedure, and if you’re burning barrels, the price of the couple tools is basically nothing.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy a Zeus - I’ve almost bought one a half a dozen times. They have some cool features. Just saying that threaded trigger screws and a QC feature is used so rarely for most shooters that it shouldn’t be the primary factors to consider. If you want an R700 footprint with a 3-lug 60* throw, and an integral rail & recoil lug, Zeus should probably be high on the list.
No disagreement!

I had one, it worked fine. I’m personally still skeptical of using it if you are extremely hard on your stuff.

I was originally told that with a lot of shots the bullet will tighten the barrel, I don’t know how true that is in actuality, but I didn’t have issues.

I will say when I removed the barrel and put it back on it returned to zero which was cool.

Personally i don’t use it anymore as I see it as very little benefit compared to just having a 75$ vise and an action wrench. Or bell just having wrench flats milled in your barrel and using a big wrench and a hammer. But, if you’re going to glue your action in and don’t want to wail on it with a hammer to remove a barrel I get it.

I think the AI qc design seems far more robust for a heavy use rifle, the terminus/Curtis seems oriented mainly to comp rifles.

I’m just saying, how many barrels did you swap in the last 12 months? For 99% of shooters, that answer is going to be 0 or maybe 1. How many barrels have you NEEDED to swap “in the field”? I’d say that situation is an answer looking for a problem.

Being able to “quick” change a barrel is marginally easier than torquing an action to a barrel in a vice. A vice that could be on a truck hitch if you really needed to be mobile. It’s not a specialized procedure, and if you’re burning barrels, the price of the couple tools is basically nothing.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy a Zeus - I’ve almost bought one a half a dozen times. They have some cool features. Just saying that threaded trigger screws and a QC feature is used so rarely for most shooters that it shouldn’t be the primary factors to consider. If you want an R700 footprint with a 3-lug 60* throw, and an integral rail & recoil lug, Zeus should probably be high on the list.
Basically what I concluded. I was looking for a short cut to swap barrels- not taking the scope off and keep the action in the stock is mighty appeal.

I talked to a smith at Alamo Precision about his thoughts on quick change barrels. Basically he said they work okay until you out on a magnum caliber. In his experience it was hit or miss if a magnum would shoot with a QC barrel. In fact, his first trick to get a QC barrel to shoot is to simply torque it down.

I finally concluded that i do not swap out barrels enough to justify it.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Interesting. Vibration while hunting is another concern of mine. Is it going to vibrate loose riding in the rack on my quad or driving down washboard roads?

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a good choice for a comp gun set up. Not sure if I would feel comfortable taking this into the back country.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Seems like a good choice for a comp gun set up. Not sure if I would feel comfortable taking this into the back country.

I think I agree. I did email back-and-forth with the owner Joel trying to get some additional comfort level. He simply said that when the setscrews are torqued to 15 inch pounds, it’s solid and they don’t loosen up. He said there are thousands in the field. Not that I have any reason to doubt what he says, but I would sure like to see some independent torture testing. Put that sucker on an ATV rack and go drive down a couple hundred miles of washboard roads. Shoot 1000 rounds of magnum ammo, with multiple heating and cooling cycles. Give me something to prove I should have faith in the system. I want to see everything hold fast. Just doesn’t seem like enough torque to hold to me.

Plus, the things are totally unattainable, so I’m not sure if it even matters at all anyway.

Xbow hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think I agree. I did email back-and-forth with the owner Joel trying to get some additional comfort level. He simply said that when the setscrews are torqued to 15 inch pounds, it’s solid and they don’t loosen up. He said there are thousands in the field. Not that I have any reason to doubt what he says, but I would sure like to see some independent torture testing. Put that sucker on an ATV rack and go drive down a couple hundred miles of washboard roads. Shoot 1000 rounds of magnum ammo, with multiple heating and cooling cycles. Give me something to prove I should have faith in the system. I want to see everything hold fast. Just doesn’t seem like enough torque to hold to me.

Plus, the things are totally unattainable, so I’m not sure if it even matters at all anyway.
Get Form to test one in the caliber of your choice.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Get Form to test one in the caliber of your choice.
Would be fun to see! But ultimately, we shouldn’t have to. It’s something the manufacturer should be doing in their marketing material, IMO. It’s an unconventional idea, so for guys like me who’ve been around this stuff a while and have a certain ingrained understanding of how barrels should screw into actions, this just sounds and feels strange. I need more convincing.

Lawnboi

WKR
Would be fun to see! But ultimately, we shouldn’t have to. It’s something the manufacturer should be doing in their marketing material, IMO. It’s an unconventional idea, so for guys like me who’ve been around this stuff a while and have a certain ingrained understanding of how barrels should screw into actions, this just sounds and feels strange. I need more convincing.
Quick change lugs have been around for some time, as have the AI. It’s nothing new, and it’s personally something I don’t see much merit in. You can read on the various quick change systems out there for quite a while.

An action wrench and a barrel vise means one less screw on my rifle. I’ll take it.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Quick change lugs have been around for some time, as have the AI. It’s nothing new, and it’s personally something I don’t see much merit in. You can read on the various quick change systems out there for quite a while.

An action wrench and a barrel vise means one less screw on my rifle. I’ll take it.
They have? In what circles? Or application? And for how long? I think I terms of decades and I pay zero attention to anything other than hunting rifles, so I’m out of the loop on what the tacticool dudes are doing.

Lawnboi

WKR
They have? In what circles? Or application? And for how long? I think I terms of decades and I pay zero attention to anything other than hunting rifles, so I’m out of the loop on what the tacticool dudes are doing.
In the shooting world. Look up switch lug, bar loc. even more prevalent on some of the bigger tactical names.

In the competition shooting world it seems most still prefer a barrel torqued on. Just from the little Iv seen. If these things were the hot item everyone would have one and you would see more offering prefits for them.

Anymore I’m trying to simplify my setup as much as possible.