Tested some binos today at Cabelas; Swarovski/Nikon/Zeiss/Meopta/Vortex

NVSparky

FNG
Today I stopped by Cabela's to pick up a gift card for my brother so I thought it'd be a good time to test some optics. I'm mostly interested in 8x although most of the glass I wanted to see were only available in 10x in the store. The models I chose to compare were the Swarovski SLC 10x42, Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Vorter Razor HD 10x42, Cabelas/Meopta Euro HD 10x42, and Nikon Monarch HG. I spent 5 minutes studying the sheep taxidermy at the far side of the store and then asked if we could take the glass outside. The kid helping me was excited to get out of the store and look through the optics as well. It was overcast and just finished raining, so fairly low light.
I'd consider myself a rookie at comparing/testing optics, but here's what I found:
I looked through each set and immediately put down the Vortex and Zeiss. The Swaro SLC, Euro HG, and Monarch HG looked better to me. The Monarch seem pretty cheap and not armored very well which was disappointing as I'm a Nikon fan. I'm currently using an old pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 that cosmetically seem much nicer than these Monarch HGs.
This left me with the Swaro SLC and Euro HD. To me, the SLC seemed slightly brighter but appears to be due to the cooler/blue image. The Euro HD were VERY clear and held very steady for me. I was able to hold them more steady offhand than the SLC. Maybe due to the weight? And I think I prefer the warmer colors of the Euro HD than the blue tint of the SLC. I'm leaning towards the Euro HD.

Does anyone else think the Swaro SLC have a blue/cool tint them?
Do you think the extra mass of the Euro HD helps in holding them steady offhand?
Should I consider the Euro HD in 8x32 to same some weight(10oz lighter) and gain some FOV? They didn't have this model in stock to try.

AGPank

WKR
Today I stopped by Cabela's to pick up a gift card for my brother so I thought it'd be a good time to test some optics. I'm mostly interested in 8x although most of the glass I wanted to see were only available in 10x in the store. The models I chose to compare were the Swarovski SLC 10x42, Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Vorter Razor HD 10x42, Cabelas/Meopta Euro HD 10x42, and Nikon Monarch HG. I spent 5 minutes studying the sheep taxidermy at the far side of the store and then asked if we could take the glass outside. The kid helping me was excited to get out of the store and look through the optics as well. It was overcast and just finished raining, so fairly low light.
I'd consider myself a rookie at comparing/testing optics, but here's what I found:
I looked through each set and immediately put down the Vortex and Zeiss. The Swaro SLC, Euro HG, and Monarch HG looked better to me. The Monarch seem pretty cheap and not armored very well which was disappointing as I'm a Nikon fan. I'm currently using an old pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 that cosmetically seem much nicer than these Monarch HGs.
This left me with the Swaro SLC and Euro HD. To me, the SLC seemed slightly brighter but appears to be due to the cooler/blue image. The Euro HD were VERY clear and held very steady for me. I was able to hold them more steady offhand than the SLC. Maybe due to the weight? And I think I prefer the warmer colors of the Euro HD than the blue tint of the SLC. I'm leaning towards the Euro HD.

Does anyone else think the Swaro SLC have a blue/cool tint them?
Do you think the extra mass of the Euro HD helps in holding them steady offhand?
Should I consider the Euro HD in 8x32 to same some weight(10oz lighter) and gain some FOV? They didn't have this model in stock to try.

I like Meostar optics and ergonomics, didn’t like the aesthetics. (Great view, held steady, felt great in hands, but dont look as nice as a Leica, swaro, or zeiss. ). I bought the 8x32 for my wife, great image and compact, but you need to try them. The eye cups seems a little small for my face. Just make sure the ergonomics work for you. I thought image between the SLC and Meostar was similar. I wanted an 8x42 at the time and Meopta didn’t offer the HD model at the time.

OP
N

NVSparky

FNG
Ok that's a good point on the egos and fit. They do have 10x32 that I can can reference for the fit and order the 8s if I choose those.

geriggs

WKR
Just did something similar today. For me the Leica trinovids were really great. At least for my eyes. I get worried about warranty. The SLCs are a touch better maybe but hard to tell. Not 700 dollars better. Still toying with the idea of getting maven 11x45.

OP
N

NVSparky

FNG
Just did something similar today. For me the Leica trinovids were really great. At least for my eyes. I get worried about warranty. The SLCs are a touch better maybe but hard to tell. Not 700 dollars better. Still toying with the idea of getting maven 11x45.
I considered ordering 2 or 3 of the Maven demo optics; B1 8x42, B2 9x45, B3 8x30. This would allow me to take them on hikes and use them in the field and return the ones I didn't want. I like the idea of the B2s, but I think they'd be too big and heavy for constant use in a chest pack. Demo program would let me confirm this as well. I'm hunting archery only for the foreseeable future, and I think a lighter 8x with a lightweight spotter should be pretty good for my intentions. Currently using 10x42 and I think the wider field of view of 8x will help. And better glass should make up for the loss in magnification.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
The SLC is a brighter glass. The meopta is still using silver prism coatings instead of dielectric like most modern top binoculars.
Its ok that you prefer the warmer transmission or view of the meopta but it is not going to show you what the SLC will in low light conditions.

As far as the weight-yes a heavier binocular is easier to hold steady but in the case of the meopta it will become an anchor around your neck in extended carry.. 30oz 42 mm binoculars are too heavy IMO.

dotman

WKR

My recent experience with Leica warranty has been nothing but amazing. Just waiting for new bino stock to arrive as they are replacing mine.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
The reviewer is incorrect. Meopta is still using silver.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Meopta, its a great glass just not in the same class as the high end Swarovski,Leica and Zeiss binoculars.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
If your eyes prefer the colors from the Euro over the Razor/SLC glass than you should also look through the EL's cause the color you get is similar to the Euro-but the quality of the glass is better.

OP
N

NVSparky

FNG
I got a deal on some 8x32 Euro HDs from the classifieds here. i plan to compare them in low light and see how I like them. I'm hoping so since I favor the smaller, lighter package. If I don't care for them and find a deal on some Swaros I can resell the Euro HDs here. Thanks guys

Last edited:
I don't care at for the 8x32 euro hd

Super good color saturation. Great definition.

At first blush they seem pretty awesome but at least the set I had the edges were blurry and wouldn't sharpen with the focus wheel and the eyebox was really finicky. Any movement of ur head and they'd washout behind them on a tripod.

Didn't control stray light well, but pretty good on chromatic aberration.

The modern 8x30 habicht I had would do that too tho, really tight eyebox and also were only about 85% fov sharp but they would sharpen up with the focus wheel. My Preference is 90% fall off and the last can be brought back into focus with the focus knob.

Swaro el and zeiss conquest hd are so flat it drives me nuts panning on hillsides at intermediate distances.

Slc's aren't better then meostar hd just a different set of compromises to be had at a higher price point with unreal customer satisfaction.

Silver vs dialectic coatings is a red herring. What we want is to see critters bedded at ranges from 100 to 1500 yards. The only major downside to silver is te low reflection rates in blue spectrum thereby giving a more "warm" view.

The slc don't control stray light as well, and definitely exhibit more chromatic aberration. Quite frankly I think the Leica noctovid are the pick, but obviously they aren't as well supported as the swaro's and cost 5 times what I got into my meoptas.

Speaking of supported, Swarovski is the best, They offered to repair my circa 1948 bino's at minimal cost. 1948!!! You can't beat that.

geriggs

WKR
Just went back to cabelas and looked at more binos....this time SLC and EL......should not have done that. That EL is awesome. I wish they had some noctivids. The neutral color of the EL i prefer more to the yellow tint of the SLCs. The edge to edge clarity of the EL is not something i would have thought i would really like or notice but it was just plain awesome for me. Now to take a second loan on the house to get a pair. LOL