Texas Public Land

csd99

FNG
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had experience hunting for whitetail on public land in Texas. I hunt on private property but our deer population is so low we limit our harvest to 1-2 deer a year. Would public land be a decent way to put an extra doe or two in the freezer every year?

Yes, that's pretty much all I do. My family put 7 in the freezer so far this year from non-draw public areas, another 4 for buddies that came with us. Hopefully you'll understand if I don't provide specific info or anything, but there's plenty of animals around even though public land is fairly limited, just like anywhere else you'll have to figure out how to handle pressured animals.

OP
csd99

csd99

FNG
Yes, that's pretty much all I do. My family put 7 in the freezer so far this year from non-draw public areas, another 4 for buddies that came with us. Hopefully you'll understand if I don't provide specific info or anything, but there's plenty of animals around even though public land is fairly limited, just like anywhere else you'll have to figure out how to handle pressured animals.
Oh wow that’s better than I thought one could do. I definitely need to look around now. I’m in central Texas so I’m sure there’s some by me that I could look into

You of course have the TPWD draws but there's lots of other options as well. Just figure out how to avoid the Fudds and you're ahead of the game. Look at Federal lands also. I haven't played the lease game for around 15 years now, no "lease drama" or cost and the hunting is more fun and sporty.

Unckebob

WKR
You of course have the TPWD draws but there's lots of other options as well. Just figure out how to avoid the Fudds and you're ahead of the game. Look at Federal lands also. I haven't played the lease game for around 15 years now, no "lease drama" or cost and the hunting is more fun and sporty.

Can we hunt the Federal grasslands?

Eric11Z

FNG
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had experience hunting for whitetail on public land in Texas. I hunt on private property but our deer population is so low we limit our harvest to 1-2 deer a year. Would public land be a decent way to put an extra doe or two in the freezer every year?
In my opinion, public land is the way to go!

Eric11Z

FNG
In Texas, we have very limited public land available for hunting. Some of what we do have is extremely restricted on who can hunt it.
Plenty of public land in TX. I hunt public land all over Texas. Just have to know where to go and how to hunt it.

Depends on what you're hunting for. Mature trophy deer will be very difficult to harvest on public. If you're just looking to shoot anything that walks out, you might have more success. But by many accounts, public lands deer in TX are very nocturnal and very easily spooked. Years ago, I used to hunt public lands for duck and it was insane having to get out to spots at 4:00 a.m. only to find other guys already in those spots.

If funds are holding you back from leasing, that's one thing. But if you have the financial means, I would strongly recommend finding a lease on private land. You'll have the opportunity for much better quality deer and don't have to fight the public for spots. Or there are lots of opportunities to hunt private land for management hunts for 2-3 days at very reasonable rates. Many places also include pigs and varmints at no extra cost.

They used to do a public hunt in Navarro County at Navarro Mills Lake. I’m not sure it they still do but it’d be worth checking out. There are some very good deer in that area right around the lake.

mikel1998

FNG
There's some decent public land in East Texas. Archery season is your best bet, things can get a little crowded during gun season. The Heat and mosquitos are pretty rough too.

I was happy to have thousands of acres of huntable land within 35mins to 1hr of me when I moved to TN. Open that up to 3 hours away and it becomes much more. When I lived in Austin, everything was 2+ hours away (most more). Little patches of land here and there. Some bigger areas sub 4 hours. Lots of restrictions. Archery is your best bet. Many draw hunts were unappealing. For the most part, you are assigned a blind and you go sit in it. Might as well hunt at the zoo. Ok, with all that negativity out of the way, a determined person, I believe, will find a way to hunt in Texas. It will take effort and creativity but, if you live there and want to hunt, I’m sure it will be worth it. Don’t let it stop you. I was on my way to figuring it out but moved from the area.

Shaker

FNG
I'm in Fort Worth and am not aware of public land around the area for deer hunting. Does anyone know of any within an hour or two?

I'm in Fort Worth and am not aware of public land around the area for deer hunting. Does anyone know of any within an hour or two?
You definitely have some options up there. Check the army corps lakes and look for state WMA's in the area as well as the APH permit properties. Anybody closer to Houston look at the Sam Houston NF also.