Textured paint recommendations

503Dan

FNG
Hey I’ve got a 110 ultralight that I’m thinking about painting. I’ve also got a Bergara and I love the rubberized coating on it, and I want to replicate this on the Savage. I’m curious if anyone know of something that will come out similar? Sorry if it’s been posted before but all that I could find was textured and webbing.

AZsniper

WKR
Rustoleum makes textured spray paint. Home Depot has it. All the colors they have are shiny but you can spray it with a flat clear finish spray and it won’t be shiny. Gun will feel like sand paper. The paint is only $6 a can.

OP

503Dan

FNG
Rustoleum makes textured spray paint. Home Depot has it. All the colors they have are shiny but you can spray it with a flat clear finish spray and it won’t be shiny. Gun will feel like sand paper. The paint is only $6 a can.
That’s what I’ve been thinking about using, read through some of the other threads and it looks like it holds up. I was just hoping for that rubberized grip, I’m in western Oregon so lots of hunting in the rain and the rubber is awesome for that.

AZsniper

WKR
That’s what I’ve been thinking about using, read through some of the other threads and it looks like it holds up. I was just hoping for that rubberized grip, I’m in western Oregon so lots of hunting in the rain and the rubber is awesome for that.
The rubbery grip spray is EXPENSIVE. I would worry about it on moving parts too. I paint all my hunting guns because I hunt in the desert and the sun glare is real. I just did this to my latest AR. everyone says make sure you use flat paint, but the reality is if you put the flat clear coat on you can use any paint. I would go thin on the spray paint and take your time, that’s what I do. And then I do 2 VERY light coats of the clear sealer. I did this paint job using an old laundry bag I had. The mesh gives it a Kryptek/snake skin type look. It is very simple to do and it’s quick. Let me know if you want a video on this type finish.

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpeg
    IMG_4494.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4493.jpeg
    IMG_4493.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4495.jpeg
    IMG_4495.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 47
I used the textured paint recently to rejuvenate an ugly old savage. It looks good. One thing to keep in mind is that it certainly builds up thickness much quicker than regular spray paint.

Attachments

• 717C7623-B3D2-4D0D-9F62-DD9E2B35845F.jpeg
    717C7623-B3D2-4D0D-9F62-DD9E2B35845F.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 25

2-Stix

WKR
I run custom paint jobs with the base camo, texture and matte clear and added talon rubber panels. I hunt southern OR. Works fine.

Attachments

• tikka.jpg
    tikka.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 43
OP

503Dan

FNG
I run custom paint jobs with the base camo, texture and matte clear and added talon rubber panels. I hunt southern OR. Works fine.
Those are super sharp, how have the talon panels held up? All I’ve seen are the pistol grips they make that are like stick on sand paper and they looked like they’d peel off to me.

2-Stix

WKR
Those are super sharp, how have the talon panels held up? All I’ve seen are the pistol grips they make that are like stick on sand paper and they looked like they’d peel off to me.
I have had no issues with delamination. I bought them at MidwayUSA in a sheet, the rubberized type.

I cut them to the spec I wanted and applied them. I believe I installed 1 before paint and 2 after.

Badseed

WKR
I like to use a heavy nap paint roller and spray paint. After prepping the stock and applying a base coat, I spray different colors directly onto the paint roller and dap it randomly across the stock. Change colors and repeat. Finish it off with two light coats of flat clear to make it uniform and you’re done. I think it turns out great and the dapping method adds some texture to the stock. Ive done a few using this approach and they all turned out nice and have held up really well. Here is an example of an old Savage that I did.

45c2d3bc9eac4855c7b6cfe850b39d8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I just cerakoted some pistols for the first time. Happy with results. Going to do it to a few Stocky’s blemish carbon fiber stocks and a few suppressors that have been beat up.

Attachments

• IMG_7957.jpeg
    IMG_7957.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 14