The 6UM

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
So I made the leap and have 115 dtacs on the way plus a deposit on components from unknown munitions. But I noticed they specd the barrel out at a 7 twist, seems like others are shooting 7.5 or 8 twist from what I can tell. Should I ask for this to be changed?

7.5 seems to be the sweet spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU

Make sure to read the description before ordering

huntnful

WKR

Make sure to read the description before ordering
Nice! Is it coming with a 6mm neck? Description doesn’t say.

khuber84

WKR
Nice! Is it coming with a 6mm neck? Description doesn’t say.
Curious as well, podcast was very unclear, this listing doesn't say if it's just proper headstamp, if it's 6mm neck, what degree shoulder is. Pretty vague.......are they pre-selling something that's an "unknown" of what the actual delivered product is? I'd expect not, just would like some clarity before ordering some.

Last edited:
Another piece of the puzzle.

Also how does one tell if they got the deep cut version vs standard? I specified deep cut in the description but it doesn’t say it anywhere in the box.IMG_9318.jpeg

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
I was sold on doing a 6.5-7PRC and have the barrel and brass, but after taking my boys to the range the last couple weeks I realized I don’t need another heavy recoiling rifle. I will eventually order a barrel for a 6UM.

My 10 year old did fine shooting the 25PRC, but it still had a little more recoil than he liked with the suppressor on it. He ended up shooting the .243 the rest of the time at the range and asked me to put the muzzle brake on the 25PRC when we go back out shooting.

Harvey_NW

WKR
My 10 year old did fine shooting the 25PRC, but it still had a little more recoil than he liked with the suppressor on it.
What are your load specs on the 25? I have a creed and it's too slow with a shorter tube, so I'm weighing out whether I want to go 25-284 or full swap to PRC.

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
What are your load specs on the 25? I have a creed and it's too slow with a shorter tube, so I'm weighing out whether I want to go 25-284 or full swap to PRC.
My barrel is now 21 5/8”. I am using ADG 6.5prc brass, BR2 primers, 58gr N565 and Berger 135’s seated to 2.380 CBTO. I have to verify but avg velocity was 2930fps at 50’.

The original chamber on the same barrel was 22 1/4”. The load was ADG 6.5prc brass, br2 primers, 57.5gr n565 and Berger 133’s at 2.229 CBTO. Velocity was 3030 avg at 80’.

I had the barrel re chambered for a different action.

Barrel has around 140-150 rounds on it now.

SeanM243

FNG
Hey Guys, long time lurker on this thread, I really like what this cartridge is capable of. I'm wanting to build a 16.5"-18" shorty to use with a 7" suppressor and be fairly compact to get in and out of vehicles. Shots can be anywhere from 40-400 yards or so on deer, hogs, coyotes, etc. I assume velocity will be in the 3000-3100ish range based on what I have seen prior. Hopefully will like H1000 as I have some of that already but was curious to see what 6mm bullets you would chose for this application. I've been thinking maybe 103 ELD-X, 105 BTHP, 108 EH, 105 Hybrid, or possibly even the 108 ELD-M? Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:

6.5x284

WKR
No, not necessarily. It’s what specific behavior each person weighs most. The DTAC’s below 2,400’ish FPS impact, generally penetrate 4-6 inches then begins to yaw. Sometimes fragmenting and sometimes not. Generally exiting elk, and so far always exiting deer. It also doesn’t really seem to have a lower limit velocity to that upset- at least to around 1,500fps. The benefit is very wide velocity impact range, exits, and good wound channels after 8’ish inches. The con is the neck length and variable behavior.

ELD-M and X’s upset near immediately, about 50% of the time they will exit deer sized animals, or maybe a bit more. They generally do not exit elk, though they consistently do make it to the offside. They have a lower limit of 1,800fps+ impact for consistent upset. Their advantage in tissue is immediate and consistent upset in tissue and a relatively wide and long wound channel. The price is lower limit upset velocity, and reduced chance for exits on large animals.

Berger Hunting, and VLD’s generally penetrate 4-6 inches before yawing and fragmenting heavily. They only sometimes exit deer sized animals, and almost never elk, though consistently make it to the offside. They have a lower limit impact velocity of 1,900 to 1,800fps. On chest shots, the neck length and rapid fragmentation generally occurs center of the chest cavity, and on the whole will result in the fastest time to incapacitation. The cost, is that long neck length, lack of exits, and somewhat variable performance.

For me-

DTAC’s- very good elk bullets. Ok I’m deer, would not use on black bear by choice.

ELD-M/X- Consistent and solid performance in all animals. Excellent in deer and bear, good in elk. The 103gr ELD-X I need more experience with, and will get more this year.

Berger Hunting/VLD- on good chest shots very good wounding. On high or low edge hits, the neck length can and will result in minimal wounding. For me they are not my choice for how and what I hunt, and how animals are missed or wounded.
Regarding the Berger, does the 105 Hybrid perform closer to the ELD-M or the Elite Hunter/VLD line? I want something with pretty rapid upset for sheep and goats in and around cliffs and have everything on your list BUT ELD-M to try in 6mm.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Regarding the Berger, does the 105 Hybrid perform closer to the ELD-M or the Elite Hunter/VLD line? I want something with pretty rapid upset for sheep and goats in and around cliffs and have everything on your list BUT ELD-M to try in 6mm.
It's similar to a VLD, if not a touch tougher with a 4-6" neck length.