The 6UM

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Friends don’t let friends Sherman…..
I have reloaded for several of them; the juice is never worth the squeeze.

I did some load work up on a 6.5 Max. Its head stamped 6.5 ******* Max, but I had to neck every piece down from .284.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Ryan, I’m guessing the low recoil is relative given what 78 grains from above. In another words more felt recoil than a 6.5 creed?

He answered, but it’s about like a 6.5 cm with heavies- in other words for those that shoot a lot, it’s very shootable.

Shraggs

WKR
Thanks Ryan and Form

been seriuosly wanting to rebarrel my tikka 6.5 as I really like all that’s been posted on lethality, extended range with such low recoil. I like low recoil a lot now!!

Shane is so busy, sooo - is a conversion to 6UM achievable this spring by UM?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
To all:

I have been asked by multiple people what the point of the 6UM is, or when/why someone would choose it. It’s pretty simple- hits rates at distance for the amount of recoil.

If someone is shooting 600’ish yards or so, and isn’t comfortable for whatever reason or isn’t legally ok with using a .224 cal on deer/elk; a good 6mm such as the 6cm is the choice. It can be very effective past 600 to a long ways out, the farthest I have experience with a 6mm on a big game animal is 970 yards (elk), that was taken cleanly by it.
However, beyond 600 to 700 yards or so, lots of people go bigger for whatever reason- sometimes legitimate such as wind drift; mostly they go bigger due to a false belief that bigger is “better” at distance. The 6UM is a way to up the ballistic performance of the standard 6mm’s while still having acceptable recoil.

My experience is that I f someone isn’t shooting lots of rounds (thousands) in practice at distance every year, then they are not “outshooting” normal rounds such as the 6cm, etc., and probably should not be taking shots at distances where a 6UM makes sense. Having said that, if someone is practicing heavily at distance, is competent and on demand capable of shots in field environments past mid range (600’ish yards), is pushing shots past that range on animals regularly, or wants an increased hit rate due to wind or a better danger space (DS) at medium to long range for rapidly moving animals (rutting bucks for instance), then the 6UM is fantastic. It has a legitimate terminal effective range beyond 1,100 yards; and it does so from a 20” barrel that recoils like a 6.5cm.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks Ryan and Form

been seriuosly wanting to rebarrel my tikka 6.5 as I really like all that’s been posted on lethality, extended range with such low recoil. I like low recoil a lot now!!

Are you legitimately shooting animals regularly past 800 yards?

Shraggs

WKR
No. With wind 500 is current limit. It’s a long term aspiration. Appreciate candid question. If I build wind skills in a few years of shooting, just don’t want get another gun. Honestly Form not sure I see myself doing past 800 - unless you were there and conditions were not challenging 😊

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
No. With wind 500 is current limit. It’s a long term aspiration. Appreciate candid question. If I build wind skills in a few years of shooting, just don’t want get another gun. Honestly Form not sure I see myself doing past 800 - unless you were there and conditions were not challenging 😊

That’s easy then- 6cm or 22CM.

Shraggs

WKR
Thanks Form.

I’ll stay on 6 creed, but… where is the 25 creed going to play out in the moderate recoil small bore high bc with frangible bullets , ie 22 c, 6, c, 25 c and 6.5 c?

To all:

I have been asked by multiple people what the point of the 6UM is, or when/why someone would choose it. It’s pretty simple- hits rates at distance for the amount of recoil.

If someone is shooting 600’ish yards or so, and isn’t comfortable for whatever reason or isn’t legally ok with using a .224 cal on deer/elk; a good 6mm such as the 6cm is the choice. It can be very effective past 600 to a long ways out, the farthest I have experience with a 6mm on a big game animal is 970 yards (elk), that was taken cleanly by it.
However, beyond 600 to 700 yards or so, lots of people go bigger for whatever reason- sometimes legitimate such as wind drift; mostly they go bigger due to a false belief that bigger is “better” at distance. The 6UM is a way to up the ballistic performance of the standard 6mm’s while still having acceptable recoil.

My experience is that I f someone isn’t shooting lots of rounds (thousands) in practice at distance every year, then they are not “outshooting” normal rounds such as the 6cm, etc., and probably should not be taking shots at distances where a 6UM makes sense. Having said that, if someone is practicing heavily at distance, is competent and on demand capable of shots in field environments past mid range (600’ish yards), is pushing shots past that range on animals regularly, or wants an increased hit rate due to wind or a better danger space (DS) at medium to long range for rapidly moving animals (rutting bucks for instance), then the 6UM is fantastic. It has a legitimate terminal effective range beyond 1,100 yards; and it does so from a 20” barrel that recoils like a 6.5cm.

Thoughts on being able to use with mono’s out to 600 or so? 6CM only gets me to 400 with acceptable velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
What kinda barrel life are you guys thinking. The 6um will get ? I would also buy a tikka prefit if offered one

Thanks Form.

I’ll stay on 6 creed, but… where is the 25 creed going to play out in the moderate recoil small bore high bc with frangible bullets , ie 22 c, 6, c, 25 c and 6.5 c?
I’m not form but I can tell you why I like my 25 creedmoor.

I’m shooting the 135gr Berger .334g7 at 2940fps. On paper it will slightly edge out the others for wind drift and maximum effective distance/impact velocity. Have not been able to push the envelope on minimum velocity but have killed a handful in the 500-670 yard range with excellent terminal performance. A touch less recoil than 6.5cm with heavies, more recoil than a 6cm. Mine is 10lbs and I can spot impacts easily without a muzzle device. Barrel life in between the two.

Big downside is you are limited to two bullets Berger 133 and 135, although hornady 134gr eldm is supposedly hitting shelves soon.

.257 is something different and easy to handload for. If you’re going to handload there is really no special dies or steps required. I just ordered my second barrel should shoot out my first one in the next few months.

amassi

WKR
Thoughts on being able to use with mono’s out to 600 or so? 6CM only gets me to 400 with acceptable velocity.

Shoot better bullets or accept your handicaps.
A 95 lrx or 101 hammer gets you to 670 theoretically with the 6um.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I’m not form but I can tell you why I like my 25 creedmoor.

I’m shooting the 135gr Berger .334g7 at 2940fps. On paper it will slightly edge out the others for wind drift and maximum effective distance/impact velocity. Have not been able to push the envelope on minimum velocity but have killed a handful in the 500-670 yard range with excellent terminal performance. A touch less recoil than 6.5cm with heavies, more recoil than a 6cm. Mine is 10lbs and I can spot impacts easily without a muzzle device. Barrel life in between the two.

Big downside is you are limited to two bullets Berger 133 and 135, although hornady 134gr eldm is supposedly hitting shelves soon.

.257 is something different and easy to handload for. If you’re going to handload there is really no special dies or steps required. I just ordered my second barrel should shoot out my first one in the next few months.
Lots to like about a 25 CM or 25 SAUM.

I talked to Matt Alwine about a 25 SAUM and a 6UM. He said there is a reason the NRL hunter makes it almost impossible to have a 6mm make power factor and has a 3200 FPS limit. 6mm = Cheat code:)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks Form.

It’s not. There are two bullets, and it doesn’t do anything in tissue that the 6mm doesn’t.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

At 5k ft DA, 3,000fps MV, 1,800fps is 720 yards. Yes, there are downsides to limited expansion below 2,000fps impact, but that’s just monos.