The 6UM

You shouldn't have any issue spotting those. Shot Ryan's this last weekend for a few shots and when steady could get right back on them 16.75" +can.

If I wasn't in a good position then obvious results.
My 24" 6cm runs the ringed dtacs very accurately at 2980 and 3070(lil spicy)with N555. Don't have the freebore(saami low count)to run big jumps but from 5 off to 25 off it hammers. Just a Havak ph2 with a fat saami chamber, my die is pretty tight at the base which is probably hiding pressure with Lapua brass.

What are you 6um shooters doing for dies? Saum bushing dies to get going but then what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a9d58c822fbf2d54b4daa3e81519938b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What do these cost and how long do they take to be made? Thinking about that 6.5-7PRC IMP +P

I saw on instagram unknown is doing tikka prefits, I can see one of these sooner then later now.

What are you 6um shooters doing for dies? Saum bushing dies to get going but then what?

Steal @Ryan Avery’s 6 SAUM improved Whidden die set 😜. .271 bushing is fine (ADG brass)with proper lube and inside mandrel .241”. Gtg

Pretty sure the improved shoulder angle is a traditional Ackley 40’ shoulder

In the research I've done it doesn't look like the ELD M or A Tips will even make it to the target.
Wonder if David Tubb would make a run of the old 117 Tipped DTAC if we ordered enough. That might be just the ticket. I guess that would have been made by Sierra? Maybe they could still make some.
So far it seems the list of suitable bullets is a little short. I've been thinking about buying a nose ring tool to try to expand the list a bit.

- 110 SMK. Availability is an issue, would need a nose ring.
- Berger 109 LRHT. May need a nose ring.
- Berger 105 LRHT. On the light side. I'm going to use some to FF.
- Berger 115 HVLD. Not currently available.
- Berger 115 Target VLD. May or may not need a nose ring.
- 115 DTAC. Great price and availability, more fragmentation may be desired for deer sized game
- Nosler 115 RDF. Would need a nose ring.
- Barnes 112 Match Burner. Questionable consistency.

The 117 tipped DTAC looks like it would be perfect. Too bad it hasn't been available in a decade.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I know I’m quoting an older msg but I specifically searched 117 to see if anyone brought this bullet up. I wanted to provide some history on that bullet. I highly doubt David would entertain making these upon request simply because the 115 RBT is a better bullet and now you can add nose ring and tailor terminal performance. The 117 ballistics were impressive back in the day but they were frustrating at distance. He just never got the same kind of precision for his 900-1000+ yard shooting. Attributed it to the tips and canned them.

All that said does Sierra have the design, yes. Are TMKs assembled better now and with a tip material that doesn’t deform in flight? I don’t know.

I know I’m quoting an older msg but I specifically searched 117 to see if anyone brought this bullet up. I wanted to provide some history on that bullet. I highly doubt David would entertain making these upon request simply because the 115 RBT is a better bullet and now you can add nose ring and tailor terminal performance. The 117 ballistics were impressive back in the day but they were frustrating at distance. He just never got the same kind of precision for his 900-1000+ yard shooting. Attributed it to the tips and canned them.

All that said does Sierra have the design, yes. Are TMKs assembled better now and with a tip material that doesn’t deform in flight? I don’t know.
What you found matches my research exactly. With the option to deep cut the 115, it's pretty ideal for the time being. No terminal results yet but that's what I'm shooting in mine.
I'd still love to see a 120 ELD-M or TMK. That's the Holy Grail for the 6UM.

What you found matches my research exactly. With the option to deep cut the 115, it's pretty ideal for the time being. No terminal results yet but that's what I'm shooting in mine.
I'd still love to see a 120 ELD-M or TMK. That's the Holy Grail for the 6UM.

I’m interested in the 103 eld-x and potentially even the 100 tgk. You’ll lose some effective range but beyond where I’d care. I think you could keep that eld-x over 1800 fps out to 1k

I’m interested in the 103 eld-x and potentially even the 100 tgk. You’ll lose some effective range but beyond where I’d care. I think you could keep that eld-x over 1800 fps out to 1k

Problem with these, at 6UM velocity you'd likely need a 9tw to keep em from coming apart. Then you just eliminated a lot of bullet options due to possible lack of stability.

Problem with these, at 6UM velocity you'd likely need a 9tw to keep em from coming apart. Then you just eliminated a lot of bullet options due to possible lack of stability.

I bet they’d do fine with an 8
I shot a bunch of 103 eld out of a 1:7 240 wby
They survived launch and were terminally impressive

I bet they’d do fine with an 8
I shot a bunch of 103 eld out of a 1:7 240 wby
They survived launch and were terminally impressive

That's surprising, I've observed 147s popping in 65 prc at 3075fps from a 7.5tw barrel.

That's surprising, I've observed 147s popping in 65 prc at 3075fps from a 7.5tw barrel.
I think they'll be just fine. I launched 108s around 3400 from a 7tw with a really rough throat, and Ryan pushed them even a little faster I think. Neither of us had one come apart which was surprising The 103s should be able to go even faster. A 7.5 or 8 would be great for them. Probably a really nasty bullet for anyone keeping the 6UM inside 1k.

I think they'll be just fine. I launched 108s around 3400 from a 7tw with a really rough throat, and Ryan pushed them even a little faster I think. Neither of us had one come apart which was surprising The 103s should be able to go even faster. A 7.5 or 8 would be great for them. Probably a really nasty bullet for anyone keeping the 6UM inside 1k.
I have roughly 4k of the 109eldm I'll give em a go in my rig. Even though the 225k freebore is petty long for these guys, they've shot well 50-75k jump in a few different chambers thus far.

Back