The Cozy Thread

I did a search and found very limited information on this. What I was hoping was to have all of you post a picture and/or description of your time-tested method of re-hydrating self-dehydrated meals. I have heard of bubble wrap packaging with rigger's tape to lengthen the life on it with a Zip-Loc inside. I have heard of an old Mountain House meal thrown in your sleeping bag which serves double duty. I have heard of a Tupperware or Rubbermaid container (that doesn't leak). If anyone has done any testing please share your findings.

I have done the Mountain House in the sleeping bag method. I think Mountain House needs more than the ten minutes mentioned in the instructions and, like you said, it does do double duty, but after finding the bag had come open a few times I stopped doing that. I have also used a cozy. I now use a vacuum insulated bottle, which is way more efficient. Works great for Mountain House if you don't want to eat the whole thing, or with a bigger bottle you could do the whole thing. My bottle is .8L and weighs 7oz. Fill with old fashioned oatmeal and boiling water, sleep with it, and it is still warm when you wake up in the mourning. One way to have a fast and warm breakfast. Do soup or mountain house in the morning and it is still to hot to eat for lunch. Makes a lot of the dehydrated food, like Bear Creek Soup and Knorr stuff, available in the average grocery store possible. The insulated bottle saves fuel since you only have to boil water and let it cook in the bottle. Easy to clean. Nothing goes into my bottle except boiling water so I can clean it with stream water. Also, your trash isn't as smelly and dirty as a used Mountain House bag.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Section Hiker,

This is all I have. WAY too heavy and it seems too small for a decent meal.
da9u4edy.jpg

That looks big. I remember looking at these once. The lid seems to be the weak spot, not as efficient at holding heat like the bottle is. I ended up with a Sigg Metro Mug, which is .4L and 10.5oz instead of the .8L and 7oz mentioned above. That's the size/weight of the water bottle. Small mouth and difficult to load, but it holds heat well. I have also used the .8L aluminum water bottle in the sleeping bag. Safer than using a ziplock bag. I intend to make a snug fitting cozy for the water bottle. If that works well I will leave the Metro Mug at home, although I usually use both for meals.

weaver

WKR
Thinking about picking up a medium padded kifaru pullout. Store my cooking kit in it then use it as an insulater when rehydrating my homemade meals.

Mckinnon

WKR
I am gonna make one out some of those reflective care window shade things at walmart, I will let you know how it turns out

I too picked up some solar sunvisor material to make one out of.
As for bags, I use the foodsaver standup bags w/ ziplock. Available at my grocery store.
Hunt'nFish

colonel00

WKR
bbrown what is that stuff called if one was to buy it? I have a friend that does what you do for a living so I'll have to ask him for some scraps. Bob.

It is called Reflectix and can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot. I think back when I was looking I could only find a smaller roll at Lowe's and a small roll is more than enough for several projects.

http://www.reflectixinc.com/

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13357-56291...tix&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=reflectix&facetInfo=

Thanks to Brad's thread Reflectix Cozy thread, I just bought a car window sun shield and cut it up to make a few.
A worthy $7 investment I think.
Hunt'nFish

desc_382908394_00.jpg

I made a good cozy out of an old wetsuit sleeve that works well. I would like to try the vacuum bottle method though.

How long is it taking you guys to rehydrate? I had been meaning to post about this. I bought all the stuff and made some meals...... Can't get them fully rehydrated!!