The Kifaru Tahr

You will need the 26". I am very similar in size with a freakishly long torso and arms and the 26" almost isn't long enough. Shrek, who is also a member of the freakishly long torso club has a custom 28" frame.

I have both an EMR2 and a 22 Mag and used to have a DT1. I have not used the EMR2 for hunting, but need the size for my summer backcountry fishing trips where I pack everything including the kitchen sink without the need to worry about coming out heavier than going in. It is by far the most versatile pack and as an added benefit you may also be able to fit a tree stand in a partially zipped main bag. The downside to the EMR2 is the lack of modularity as there is virtually no PALS. IMO the combination of my two packs is a perfect combination and covers everything I would want to do. The 22 Mag is the perfect day hunting pack and could be stretched to a small multi-day pack with some added pockets and Grab-it. It would also most likely require a Grab-It to haul a load of meat out with you, but for my day hunts where I'm not too far from the truck, I'd probably just go switch out for the EMR2 to haul meat.

I spoke to Aron and he suggested the 26" as well I will be going with that frame. Just have to decide on the pack.

I have been using the Tahr as a whitetail pack for at least a couple of weeks now. Generally I use a medium pouch on the belt, the Longhunter lid and that's it. To attach a stand I use the existing straps, and it is more than enough for a secure fit.
The things I don't use often go in the main pack, my camera goes in the belt pouch, and the often used gear goes in the Longhunter lid.
The pack itself cinches down very nicely with nothing in it due to the strap orientation, and it will fit a boned out whitetail deer with no problems. I have not used the meat shelf, and frankly don't intend to.
I'm sure I've forgotten to include a lot of things so questions are welcome.

Do you find it a pain in ass to get to the things that are in the bottom of the main pouch while in the tree stand? That is the only reason I might switch over to the EMRII

I pack my stand in and out so I have it strapped to a duplex frame then I just run a long hunter lid. then on the belt I run a small and medium pouch and water bottle holder. in the small belt pouch is my kill kit in the medium is any thing I don't need while in the stand. every thing I need will sitting is in a long hunter lid. extra layers I bring in are just strapped to stand. I use a length of 1inch webbing and strap the lid to the tree using the ladder locks. if I didn't carry in my stand I would run a tahr with a guide lid put the stuff I need in stand in the lid and use the tahr for extra layers in the late season.

Do you find it a pain in ass to get to the things that are in the bottom of the main pouch while in the tree stand? That is the only reason I might switch over to the EMRII

No, but I don't put items I use a lot in the main bag. Often used items are in the Longhunter lid, and is very easy to access.
I have used the Highcamp 7000, 4800, DT2, and Timberline 1 in a treestand/whitetail hunting environment and find them all too big for my needs. I simply do not need the volume even for a couple of night stay.

I pack my stand in and out so I have it strapped to a duplex frame then I just run a long hunter lid. then on the belt I run a small and medium pouch and water bottle holder. in the small belt pouch is my kill kit in the medium is any thing I don't need while in the stand. every thing I need will sitting is in a long hunter lid. extra layers I bring in are just strapped to stand. I use a length of 1inch webbing and strap the lid to the tree using the ladder locks. if I didn't carry in my stand I would run a tahr with a guide lid put the stuff I need in stand in the lid and use the tahr for extra layers in the late season.

Sounds along the lines of what I was thinking. Thanks for the help.

No, but I don't put items I use a lot in the main bag. Often used items are in the Longhunter lid, and is very easy to access.
I have used the Highcamp 7000, 4800, DT2, and Timberline 1 in a treestand/whitetail hunting environment and find them all too big for my needs. I simply do not need the volume even for a couple of night stay.

Thanks. I was planning on the lid as well and until I watched the video I guess I didn't realize how much stuff the lid could hold. After looking at it some more and and talking with Kifaru again along with the modularity it offers I am going with the Tahr. So my Christmas lists just got really simple.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to help and can't believe I had never discovered this forum before. There is a lot of great info here.

Can someone point me in the right direction or help me with attaching the Tahr to a 26" frame. I got the top part handled running the load lifter straps through. Just need to see pics or a description of attaching the middle or bottom of the pack to the 26" frame. I have the bottom of the belt strap attached to the bottom of the bag and the three compression straps attached to the frame just want to make sure all is set correct. This is my first frame backpack.

Also you guys doing tree stand hunting. Where do you hang it from? (What part on the pack goes on the hook)

Last edited:
Can someone point me in the right direction or help me with attaching the Tahr to a 26" frame. I got the top part handled running the load lifter straps through. Just need to see pics or a description of attaching the middle or bottom of the pack to the 26" frame. I have the bottom of the belt strap attached to the bottom of the bag and the three compression straps attached to the frame just want to make sure all is set correct. This is my first frame backpack.

Also you guys doing tree stand hunting. Where do you hang it from? (What part on the pack goes on the hook)

Should just have to attach the 3 bar slider on the bag to the plastic common loops on the bottom of the frame.

Been messing around with different setups for the pack. I have been wondering if anyone found a good way to attach the Guide lid ?? I know its pretty straight forward, but the Straps tend to fall off the sides (Top). I have been toying with the idea of switch from Quick attach to Three bar slider (old Style) but not sure If I can find a three bar sider that is cut so I can attach to the loops. I have played with the KUIU Quick attached clips but only have one. (I know how dare I)....

Wish they would have added attachment point to back side of the snow Collar So when you fold over it would allow for attaching another Pocket. But Still Love this pack it is crazy how big you can make it. And all the different configs your can switch to its like a transformer....

Wish they would have added attachment point to back side of the snow Collar So when you fold over it would allow for attaching another Pocket. But Still Love this pack it is crazy how big you can make it. And all the different configs your can switch to its like a transformer....
I thought the exact same thing. A belt pouch fits perfectly on there too.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a person in the Portland, Or area that could add the attachment points to the back of the snow collar. Wish I could sew I would do it myself. Does someone form Kifaru have someone they could recommend ?? Been thinking about calling them and asking how much to have them added it.

Back