The mechanics of quilt layering

Crews

FNG
Hello Rokslide, for my first post I'd like to ask for some general guidance on layering for sleep systems.

I like the idea of down layered under synthetic. I am in NE Texas so there's a lot of 50-60f nights. However, there are certainly times when it gets down into the 20's during deer season. Always humid no matter what. Some flexibility across wide range of temps would be great. So I was contemplating something like a 30-40f down bag/quilt that packs up tiny and a 40f synthetic over quilt quilt that will also be used for static insulation while I hunt.

I'm mostly wondering about the down "inner/core" layer. Regarding what layers best with a synthetic over quilt, what works best? Is the safest bet to stick with a quilt of the same design? What about a mummy bag instead? I will admit some of the options with pad sleeve seem fairly attractive.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice in advance!

Drenalin

WKR
I prefer to have a sewn or zippered footbox on my down quilt, which is also typically my warmest rated quilt. Then the top quilt I leave open like a blanket. Most footboxes are cut small (at least for me) and I don't want to compress that insulation by stuffing one footbox into another.

I like a 20 degree down quilt and a 50 degree synthetic. With those, I'm pretty much good for all seasons, unless it goes below zero. But that doesn't happen much in my area and if it does I won't be out anyway.

OP
C

Crews

FNG
good input. I didn't know if folks are just laying the synthetic layer over like you mentioned, or also using the footbox.

Drenalin

WKR
Oversize that top quilt too if you can. The fabric used on these quilts is slippery and it can be hard to keep the top one in place. It's easier if it's wide enough to come over the sides to the pad attachment straps without compressing the down quilt. I think someone on here has accomplished the same effect with tick-on velcro strips.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe you’ve already seen this article, but some good information here: https://support.enlightenedequipmen...0588-How-to-layer-quilts-for-sub-zero-camping

5ef64398ca80bcad782ad684e7fd2026.png

OP
C

Crews

FNG
Thanks for linking, I have read that article. Really what I’m thinking about is what would work well with a 40f Apex Revelation top quilt. For instance, I thought about something like a BigAgnes Anvil Horn. The pad sleeve would be nice. Since it’s got a big foot box, I’m assuming the top quilt could only be used like a blanket?

I like to layer my quilts, but I don’t do it very often. I have two Enlightened Equipment Convert quilts, both are 30 degrees. Like you mentioned, I go with the down inside the synthetic. Works well for me and I have no complaints. I will say that if you decide to go this route, be sure to get your ”outer” quilt in a longer/wider version to allow for the “inner” quilt to not only fit, but have air between the quilts to provide warmth and let the insulation work.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to give this a shot this winter. I have a 20 deg quilt that I use all summer and early season hunting. I just got a 40 deg synthetic to layer over for cold weather. Hopefully this will replace the 0 deg bag I normally use for colder weather. I hope it works because I much prefer sleeping in a quilt than a mummy bag.

OP
C

Crews

FNG
I feel like I am going to use the light synthetic quilt quite a bit for sitting in the deer stand.

OP
C

Crews

FNG
To follow up on this, I ended up ordering a Zenbivy core bed 25deg down bed. And an Arrowhead Equipment 40deg Apex blanket (no foot box, just a regular blanket.) The Apex blanket will stay in the pack and be used a lot for static deer hunting. If the weather here in Tx warrants a little extra t’ll be thrown over the top of the Zenbivy. Maybe tuck it under the edges of the mat. We will see how it works.

OP
C

Crews

FNG
Second follow up, have used my new sleep system a few times with night temps in the 40’s. The pad I got is an Exped Ultra 7. The Zenbivy 25 has been quite a bit too hot, but I am wondering if part of the reason is the pad having way too high an R value for the conditions. Wearing a base layer to bed has helped a bit with the clammy sweaty feeling.

However, just going to sleep with base layers and the pad, covered up in the Apex quilt worked pretty good!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a cotton fabric flat sheet (twin or full) sleeper. This way it works as a cool summer layer outside the bag or a warm inner layer when its cold. Tested and approved in all types of Alaska conditions. As the bag rating changes, the flat sheet liner stays the same. The cotton wicks and holds moisture better than synthetics and a high thread count quality sheet is warmth tight.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have a 40F quilt that I have used in temps from high 20's to 60F. The high 20's nights were mistakes where I should have taken my 15F bag, but I layered a synthetic puffy over my torso, wore a long sleeve and my pants, and layered my rain jacket over my legs. I stayed warm.