The new Vortex Razor HD 13-39x56mm, The Mini Razor

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Today, Vortex launched a new mini-spotter and I was lucky to get my hands on it prior to release. You can read my article on it HERE!! Every time I use it, i become more impressed with this sub 2 pound unit. Its hard to beat for backapackers setup with a street price of 1k$.

Here is more information from Vortex HERE!

c4736fb8c6c01ba388461630438d0d9d.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
I think this is interesting. I’m personally a fan of the “value” of razor optics. I think usually a good bang for the buck product. Excited to hear folks thoughts on it and other comparisons.

I had a 554 for a bit and it was great but eye relief and FOV suffered a bit. This “appears” to solve those on paper (Ack likely not as good glass).

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this is interesting. I’m personally a fan of the “value” of razor optics. I think usually a good bang for the buck product. Excited to hear folks thoughts on it and other comparisons.

I had a 554 for a bit and it was great but eye relief and FOV suffered a bit. This “appears” to solve those on paper (Ack likely not as good glass).

Well if you live in Tahoe, I’m just down the hill if you want to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Well if you live in Tahoe, I’m just down the hill if you want to check it out.

Nice. Our families live just west (Folsom). But my job has us everywhere. In CO currently.

Should be home for turkey day. If I don’t have one by then I’ll take you up on it.

warrant

WKR
It's exciting to see this released. I was about to purchase Kowa 554 and then this hit the market. Hopefully a few side by side comparisons are published in the near future to compare the new Razor, Kowa and maybe even the Swaro STC. I'm sure at half the price it won't compete with the STC but I'd like to know how close it it. Thanks for the review. Good write up Travis

4th_point

WKR
The angled model reminds me of the Celestron/Hawke/Gosky 56mm scope, just extended. I wonder if they share any design heritage? Maybe just appearance.

The straight model doesn't resemble the Hawke though.

Anyway, I'd prefer more magnification on the top end, but do like the 13x.

No matter what, I like seeing new models being released!