The One Gun Hunter

Many of the midwest states have cartridge restrictions during gun season. For example in MI where I hunt we are located below the "rifle line" so for years we were in what we called the "shotgun zone". So we had to use slug guns or muzzle loaders during gun season. Since then many states have modified the restrictions to allow for straight wall cartridges like the 450 bushmaster, 350 Legend etc. We can't legally use rifles like my 7 SAUM in many of the Midwest states. IA, IL, IN, OH among some others have rules that resemble this too.
IA thankfully added .35 and up bottlenecks to the list 3 years ago for gun season.
.35 Whelen and .358 win are slowly gaining popularity. Tons of guys shooting AR platform straight walls.

LoggerDan

WKR
When I shot .30 and under, I shot lots of different guns and chamberings. Once I went over 30, starting with the 338 wm, I strictly only used it for everything. Same trend for my 35 whelen. Same thing for the 375. Yes, I’m pretty much a one rifle guy. And it’s to my benefit.

Superx3

FNG
I am absolutely NOT a one rifle guy and I don’t even know how I would answer that. I just recently built a 338 federal that weighs 7lbs loaded ready to hunt, and so far love it. It basically matches a 30-06 which is probably the best all around caliber there is. Then again I love my 6.5-284 that is just one of those automatic guns that just puts things down every time. All that said, one and done, build a 338-06 and you would have everything covered.

rootacres

WKR
IA thankfully added .35 and up bottlenecks to the list 3 years ago for gun season.
.35 Whelen and .358 win are slowly gaining popularity. Tons of guys shooting AR platform straight walls.
I would be pumped if MI would bring the .35 and up cals in. In the mean time I’ll probably stick with what I have. I carried a 450 around for a year or two in an AR platform. I kinda got sick of lugging it around. My M77 Ruger weighs 8lbs with an Accupoint and sling. It’s nice for the deer woods.

Standard shoulder.
Thx for confirming. PBB offers standard and variable (barrel nut at additional cost) prefits and if you have the GNG gauges it’s “supposed” to be easier than standard. Never tried it myself, but my Ruger American
has a barrel nut and I may swap for a 6 Creed prefit.

Is this one gun or one caliber. One gun would go with something that calibers could be switched relatively easy. One caliber, will drive a man pretty much crazy trying to figure out. I see the arguments for the arguments for the lower calibers, middle and larger bores. If I had to have one caliber I would probably go with a 375. You can use different powders and bullets to accomplish knocking almost anything over. I think they even, or use to, make sub calibers that had a sabot on them to engage the rifling. You could even through in some of the older powders behind a roundball and it would be useful.

One rifle for me — Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 CM with SWFA 3-9 on top. It gets beat up in the mountains here, but it does everything I need it to perfectly. If I wind up making the NZ trip happen next year I won’t hesitate to use it for (hopefully) red stag and tahr.

Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 CM for the last 6 years for me. I’ve tried another caliber for a couple hunts, but it’s superfluous to my needs. I always came back to the Fieldcraft 6.5.

z987k

WKR
Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 CM for the last 6 years for me. I’ve tried another caliber for a couple hunts, but it’s superfluous to my needs. I always came back to the Fieldcraft 6.5.
I've left mine at home for 2 years now, and it's only because I wanted to try a new rifle each year. Each year I should have just taken the fieldcraft.
I have yet to see a better rifle for up here.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I used a model 83 Freedom Arms chambered in 454 Casull as my big game weapon for 20 plus years. I wouldn’t have switched had I still been able to clearly see the front sight.

I finished a 308 this year with the intention of using the platform for pretty much every one of my future hunts. Now, I can change bolt heads and screw on a new short action barrel if need be. But the stock trigger and action won’t change.

Last edited:

ldmay375

FNG
How many of you guys are one gun hunters? I have been thinking about buying one gun to do all my hunting rather then having several for different species. If you use one gun to hunt with, what are you using?
Not I.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that concept though. If it fits your needs / wants go with it.

kfog

FNG
I’m trying that now. 280ai, figure can run 140-143 gr for smaller game and the 162 grain for elk, etc. we’ll see if it sticks or if I “borrow” the wife’s 6.5 CM for whitetail 😀

Savage99

WKR
Tikka .308, 6x SWFA, Mathew’s Fab riser, YoDave spring, Vert. grip. Shooting 165gr AB’s. Will hand load once my factory supply runs out. Mostly a one gun b/c of costs and with a busy family I like to dedicate any range time to one rifle and load to practice. This is for antelope, deer, and elk. I guess I do have a .223 for pdogs….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I am a one centerfire hunter, with a tikka .270 shooting barnes ttsx 130 grain bullets. I have a scoped savage 220 shotgun for short range seasons.