The Rubies

jimd

FNG
So here I have been sitting and reading about hunting in Nevadas Ruby Mountains and have found myself really confused. All I read is to find the deer you need to get away from the roads and other people. The thing I don't understand while looking at maps and reading forums on hikeing is how to get to areas away from people as there is a 36mile trail down the entire range and numerous side trails going to almost all the lakes. I don't have a problem climbing the mountains and understand the amount of hunters in the rubies but how do you get away from everyone with all the trails that are even in the wilderness area.-----jimd

Mark

WKR
That's generally the only area with multiple tags remaining in the second draw. There are usually tags remaining after the draw as well. In other words, it's crowded. Always.

The key to your success will be using that 36 mile trail as most hunters won't. If you get away from the road system and utilize the trail system you're going to eliminate the vast majority of people. Go in farther, go up higher, and you'll likely find yourself alone on the mountain. And rest assured that a good portion of those with tags won't venture far from camp if at all.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
So here I have been sitting and reading about hunting in Nevadas Ruby Mountains and have found myself really confused. All I read is to find the deer you need to get away from the roads and other people. The thing I don't understand while looking at maps and reading forums on hikeing is how to get to areas away from people as there is a 36mile trail down the entire range and numerous side trails going to almost all the lakes. I don't have a problem climbing the mountains and understand the amount of hunters in the rubies but how do you get away from everyone with all the trails that are even in the wilderness area.-----jimd

There are lots of basins with zero trails. There are only a dozen high mountain lake trails and the crest runs along the top from harrison to lamoille having the opposite side of the trail, east or west, trail free. You can get away from people for the most part but every now and then you cross paths with someone willing to work as hard as you. I hunted 5 different basins in 7 days last november with zero trails in any of them.

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a tag there early bow hunt, went thru the same thoughts as what to do, I'm coming from Missouri. I'm just gonna lace um up and hunt my balls off, till I find the buck I want.

Calbuck

WKR
Hunted the early season last year..had a really good time. Saw some decent bucks, had a couple good stalks, didn't get it done! I did spot a couple bruisers in the scope. WAY up at the top! There weren't as many people as I expected even close to the roads. Once I hiked even a half mile from any road, people weren't there. I believe you can get away from em relatively easy if you're willing to put forth some effort.

OP
J

jimd

FNG
I thank everyone for the information.The wife and I are going to make a run from Dayton to Elko and around the area tomorrow just to get a feel of things as I have never been in the area except for driving along I-80. Just want to see what areas have camping. We will more that likely make tha loop on 80 and come back Tuesday on 50. Sure is nice to be retired.---jimd

NVCHUKAR

WKR
The only real camping spot on the West side is in Lamoille canyon. Its a campground and it usually books up throughout the summer so plan ahead if you are trying to stay. If you are tent camping just hike up to one of the lakes and spend the night. Island Lake is only a 2mile hike to get to and same with Lamiolle. Lots of camping spots over Harrison Pass on your way to the Ruby Valley Side.