The Shoot2hunt Podcast

geoff995

WKR
For anyone unsure about minimalist footwear, I’d suggest taking time to read the book “Born to Run”. The concept of minimalist footwear has been around for a long time and this book goes into detail about it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Everyone will be different in the regard, some people have terrible ankles after injuries,
I haven’t listened to it yet but I’ll say my right ankle falls into this camp after I blew it out a few times in late teens/20s. I will caveat that I haven’t ever taken the time to do an extensive strengthening routine on it (need to it’s getting worse) but I don’t wear supper supportive shoes all year either in daily life and training. BUT one thing is common, I sprain my ankle at some point every fall again. Almost exclusively it’s when I went out in something with no/low ankle support and sage brush country is the worst for seeming east to cruise in till you step in a damn hole you didn’t see.

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone unsure about minimalist footwear, I’d suggest taking time to read the book “Born to Run”. The concept of minimalist footwear has been around for a long time and this book goes into detail about it.
Born to Run is a great book, but it hypes minimalist footwear as a fix-all without (as I remember) any of the cautionary work yourself up to it slowly over 9+ month advice Form gave.

I ran my first ultra before the book was pulblished. At a prerace meeting, the RD talked about this crazy guy he met in Mexico who runs barefoot. Unfortunately, Barefoot Ted missed that race since he hurt his foot... Ted did run those rocky trails the next year in fivefingers.

After the book was published shoe companies leapt on the trend and everything seemed to go minimalist. After a few years and too many people, myself included, not taking the time to work their way up or match their footwear to the terrain, the pendulum swung to maximalist Hokas, which had their own issues.

We seem to be back to a more balanced mix of shoes in the running world. I myself do best with flexible wide forefoot shoes to help with a neuroma I have in my right foot. For that reason I can’t wear super rigid crampon compatible boots either.

Footwear is very personal in my opinion. What works for Form may not work for me and what works for me won’t work for someone else. But screwing up your feet can be debilitating. Perhaps it’s not a fractured hip. But a fractured foot you hobble out on will still ruin the rest of your season. I treat footwear like the rest of it: I try to educate myself before I buy, but once I buy I try to experiment and work my way into new shoes, with a clear understanding that I may need to cut my losses and move onto something else regardless of the internet hype I had originally gotten sucked into.

geoff995

WKR
Born to Run is a great book, but it hypes minimalist footwear as a fix-all without (as I remember) any of the cautionary work yourself up to it slowly over 9+ month advice Form gave.

I ran my first ultra before the book was pulblished. At a prerace meeting, the RD talked about this crazy guy he met in Mexico who runs barefoot. Unfortunately, Barefoot Ted missed that race since he hurt his foot... Ted did run those rocky trails the next year in fivefingers.

After the book was published shoe companies leapt on the trend and everything seemed to go minimalist. After a few years and too many people, myself included, not taking the time to work their way up or match their footwear to the terrain, the pendulum swung to maximalist Hokas, which had their own issues.

We seem to be back to a more balanced mix of shoes in the running world. I myself do best with flexible wide forefoot shoes to help with a neuroma I have in my right foot. For that reason I can’t wear super rigid crampon compatible boots either.

Footwear is very personal in my opinion. What works for Form may not work for me and what works for me won’t work for someone else. But screwing up your feet can be debilitating. Perhaps it’s not a fractured hip. But a fractured foot you hobble out on will still ruin the rest of your season. I treat footwear like the rest of it: I try to educate myself before I buy, but once I buy I try to experiment and work my way into new shoes, with a clear understanding that I may need to cut my losses and move onto something else regardless of the internet hype I had originally gotten sucked into.
Agreed. My post concerning the book wasn’t meaning that it was a guide on getting into minimalist footwear but that it’s a concept that has been around for a long time. The book details the why of how minimalist footwear can be beneficial.

Elkangle

WKR
I haven’t listened to it yet but I’ll say my right ankle falls into this camp after I blew it out a few times in late teens/20s. I will caveat that I haven’t ever taken the time to do an extensive strengthening routine on it (need to it’s getting worse) but I don’t wear supper supportive shoes all year either in daily life and training. BUT one thing is common, I sprain my ankle at some point every fall again. Almost exclusively it’s when I went out in something with no/low ankle support and sage brush country is the worst for seeming east to cruise in till you step in a damn hole you didn’t see.

Dang badger holes can get ya

A pretty good take away from the podcast is the idea of training your feet and lower legs.. I like to train with a simple trail runner on hills with weighted pack... walk up forwards, walk up side ways face to the right, walk up sideways facing to the left , walk up backwards.. hill sprint.. repeat.. always walk down very slowly and controlled

Just my routine, I am not a Dr 👍

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

A pretty good take away from the podcast is the idea of training your feet and lower legs.. I like to train with a simple trail runner on hills with weighted pack... walk up forwards, walk up side ways face to the right, walk up sideways facing to the left , walk up backwards.. hill sprint.. repeat.. always walk down very slowly and controlled

I was doing some of that last summer but I have a lot of headway to make on that ankle.

+1 for “Form Fridays” or a similar format with SMEs for a 15-20 minute Ted Talk on practical application or data-based myth busting. This is a sustain.

@Ryan Avery - question for Ace: We have CF barrels to fill a niche alongside steel barrels. What is the next logical step in metallurgical or production wizardry to provide us more reliable, accurate, and lighter barrels without compromising shootability?

We have carbon barrels to part suckers from $300 more on a blank and feel like their rifle looks cool.

Last edited:
How come they don’t continue to speed up as the fire cracking gets further say at 600 rounds. Not saying you’re wrong or anything. I’ve just seen some barrels hit a mark then boom 50 more fps and it seems to stay
I’ve had a couple continue to gradually speed up beyond 300 rounds recently.

We have carbon barrels to part suckers from $300 more on a blank and feel like their rifle looks cool.

Excuse me but it was $600 more. And I feel it looks very cool!

giphy.gif

ACE questions:
How are they coming the the .219 bore 224 cutting? I know they lost some tooling for those.

How does specifying bore diameter and groove config impact lead time? Example: it seems like they like 6 groove 0.236 bore 6mms, if a guy wanted a 4 groove 0.237 bore (I think @UM GM is with me on this from the last podcast) are they doing that configuration and how would lead time vary?

I do the same, train all summer in trail runners and a pack. But, I wear pretty stout boots for hunting.

ACE questions:
How are they coming the the .219 bore 224 cutting? I know they lost some tooling for those.

I placed an order for a 224 barrel in January and as of a couple weeks ago they were forecasting first two weeks of April. Then it’s off to UM to start the 12+ week build clock.

I’m doubtful I get it before hunting season…

I placed an order for a 224 barrel in January and as of a couple weeks ago they were forecasting first two weeks of April. Then it’s off to UM to start the 12+ week build clock.

Mine was in November but the tooling issues complicated the timeline. I think I’d have had it by now if I didn’t specify .219 bore.

memory is foggy but I think they mentioned expanding capacity if lead time got above 12 weeks or so on one of the podcasts.. gotta wonder if they are there for most orders now? Guess that’s another question for @Ryan Avery - how have average lead times changed since the last podcast?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Mine was in November but the tooling issues complicated the timeline. I think I’d have had it by now if I didn’t specify .219 bore.

memory is foggy but I think they mentioned expanding capacity if lead time got above 12 weeks or so on one of the podcasts.. gotta wonder if they are there for most orders now? Guess that’s another question for @Ryan Avery - how have average lead times changed since the last podcast?
I talked to the Ace guys at the shop the other day, and they said next week on the .223.

UM Is actively working on their lead times. They are out 12 weeks(******* Tikkas), but I would expect it to shrink soon.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I would bet money you will have it mid-summer.

I talked to the Ace guys at the shop the other day, and they said next week on the .223.

UM Is actively working on their lead times. They are out 12 weeks(******* Tikkas), but I would expect it to shrink soon.

I was talking about ACE lead times if that wasn’t clear.