The Shoot2hunt Podcast

WKR
Hey dudes. I get most of our hunting seasons are over. But can we quick bickering?
I'll try, but I've never done it before.

IdisagreeandIthinkyoudontknowwhatyouaretalkingaboutbecausemypersonalexperienceoftwicesaysdifferent.

Sorry, @atmat , not trying to pick on you. That joke might have a target audience of one, but I laughed way to hard not to do it.

Lawnboi

WKR
You guys should have saved the 22mag episode for April fools. Could have been click bait on click bait.

Although I have been known to drink the koolaid, I’ll state that the 22 mag I bought is a home defense gun for my wife mainly.

Even in person my sarcasm sometimes goes over some heads.

I think the part regarding killing on the spot vs convincing them it's a bad idea is excellent.
I'd prefer to not kill if not necessary.
I know what I'm aiming for and caliber won't matter

I think the part regarding killing on the spot vs convincing them it's a bad idea is excellent.
I'd prefer to not kill if not necessary.
I know what I'm aiming for and caliber won't matter
Good Lord, I literally just about blew coffee all over my screen. Thank you for the laugh this morning! :ROFLMAO:

Because you’re an expert on what?

I never claimed to be an expert on anything.

How many bears have you or anyone on here for that matter used a 22 mag on an attacking bear?

Still not seeing your point.

EDIT: Left a crucial part of the question out originally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

4th_point

WKR
There are functionally no Tikkas, Sako’s, or Sauer’s that have feeding issues with mags. Same for systems setup to use AI AW and AICS mags. Yes, every manufacturer can and does make a bad mag at some point, it’s also apparent the first time it is used.

Sorry for the thread rewind and change of topic. Been away for a few months and getting caught up on all the S2H and Roksliding.

Anyway...

formi, with all due respect, that statement above is not completely true. Regarding Sakos, at least.

The S20 had a known feeding issue when released. The mag presents a relatively small portion of the casehead to the bolt. If the mag spring is weak, the bolt will ride over the case. Likewise, if the mag body droops due to poor/sloppy fit or capture in the stock, the cartridge case doesn't sit high enough and the bolt goes over the top of it.

The work arounds have been to stretch the mag spring, but that doesn't always work. Some have used two springs with mixed results. And others have shimmed the mags to help with the sloppy fit or shaved the feed lips to present more of the case head. Higher cap mags seem to help.

As a "system" it is not robust, unless everything is executed correctly. "Robust to errors", not "strong like bull" robust. There are contributing factors, but the root cause points to the design (which is a tri-lug). One could blame suspect mags, but again that doesn't address the inherent design.

For the record, I have an S20 which functions OK. But, it was inspected carefully to ensure that it would feed as-is without mods.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sorry for the thread rewind and change of topic. Been away for a few months and getting caught up on all the S2H and Roksliding.

Anyway...

formi, with all due respect, that statement above is not completely true. Regarding Sakos, at least.

The S20 had a known feeding issue when released. The mag presents a relatively small portion of the casehead to the bolt. If the mag spring is weak, the bolt will ride over the case. Likewise, if the mag body droops due to poor/sloppy fit or capture in the stock, the cartridge case doesn't sit high enough and the bolt goes over the top of it.

The work arounds have been to stretch the mag spring, but that doesn't always work. Some have used two springs with mixed results. And others have shimmed the mags to help with the sloppy fit or shaved the feed lips to present more of the case head. Higher cap mags seem to help.

As a "system" it is not robust, unless everything is executed correctly. "Robust to errors", not "strong like bull" robust. There are contributing factors, but the root cause points to the design (which is a tri-lug). One could blame suspect mags, but again that doesn't address the inherent design.

For the record, I have an S20 which functions OK. But, it was inspected carefully to ensure that it would feed as-is without mods.

Interesting. I have seen half a dozen used without issue. It’s good to know though.

4th_point

WKR
Why can't some guys like magazines and some guys like hinged floor plates? Is that also an option?

It is actually a very common approach across industries, systems, processes, etc. The best practice is to perform an application specific analysis. If the risk is too painful, it gets mitigated. If painful but unlikely, it might just be accepted. Where it gets tricky is when operator error is a concern, and special training is required.

Those sled patrol dudes in Greenland used the M1917 Enfield for a long time. Maybe still do? It has an internal mag. Pretty dang cold place, with polar bears being a concern. Maybe the application is suited to the M1917, but we'd need to know more about the specific application and acceptable risks.

Just throwing that example out there for conversation. However, when it is all said and done, two people or groups might make two different choices. And they both might be acceptable!

Hoggetter

FNG
You may not have “recommended” it, but you sure seemed to advocate for it.

At least that’s how I interpreted it.

Better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thats how I heard it and how Ryan presented it at the opening of the podcast. Basicly how Form was going to debate his reason to the answer he gave Ryan in a previous conversation and that’s what sparked the podcast discussion on the 22 Magnum pistol for bear protection.

Hoggetter

FNG
Yes, I did.

To say you didn’t advocate for the 22 mag as a viable option is a bit disingenuous. I mean I suppose it’s better than nothing at all, but as evidenced by some posters on here, they take your word as gospel.

Does that mean I’m not listening to the podcast or are they not listening and just blindly following what they *thought* they heard you say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Those people that are taking his word as gospel are called “FormFlakes”
Pretty soon we’re gonna have a bunch of guys running around in the woods with a 22 magnum pistols and hunting rifles with scopes that are mrad only, wearing freaking skinny jeans and flip-flops for hunting boots.
Everything else I kinda agree with him.

fwafwow

WKR
The description of the podcast includes "DEFENSE AGAINST BEARS WITH PISTOLS" - but I don't think they covered how to defend against bears that carry pistols. This is BS. I want a refund.

It's always interesting when someone takes swipes at Form, and/or at those who agree with him on various issues, but without any specificity or support. If there is something in particular that has been espoused that you disagree with, by him or his Form Flakes, what is it and why is it wrong? All points of view are subject to challenge and new information.

But nitpicking this 22mag issue, the podcast subtitle and the intro - seems like grasping at straws.

Archer86

WKR
The description of the podcast includes "DEFENSE AGAINST BEARS WITH PISTOLS" - but I don't think they covered how to defend against bears that carry pistols. This is BS. I want a refund.
That's actually a link not a description of the podcast.......if you click on the link it will take you to the info you are looking for no refund needed

I think we should call them formies. Form flakes is a little hard he puts out alot of good info it is funny how some try so hard to be mini forms on here.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
I think we should call them formies.
Meh. I think we may need some MHG input here. Needs to be a bit “catchier”. @Billy Goat
Form flakes is a little hard
Yeah. I’m not a fan of that either.

Sorry - I know it’s easy to take pot shots without offering some alternatives. May I have to hit up ChatGPT. Junior Froms?
he puts out alot of good info it is funny how some try so hard to be mini forms on here.
Lots. But don’t mock the journey man. Crazy how rational thinking and stuff can lead folks to, like, try to also make sound decisions.

For some sliders, ourtheir behavior is so low brow and muddled that it doesn’t take much to get our, er, their attention.

fwafwow

WKR
That's actually a link not a description of the podcast.......if you click on the link it will take you to the info you are looking for no refund needed

I think we should call them formies. Form flakes is a little hard he puts out alot of good info it is funny how some try so hard to be mini forms on here.
This bear is not carrying a pistol.

1712011297095.jpeg

Clickbait

Last edited: