The Shoot2hunt Podcast

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
No normally, but it’s another stressor. Harder than dialing to a BDC number?

Ryan, have you not ever F’d up part of the shot process, dialed wrong or forget something simple when there is an animal in the scope? I sure have.

Not saying this isn’t an awesome method, but asking why it’s easier than dialing to a BDC number. I’m
To error is human. I have made some bad mistakes. But BDC turrets are limiting to me and I seen some real shit shows with them. Using Mils is simple with zero limitations and you have a simple BDC in your head.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
A silver sharpie or a thin piece of tape with marks on it will give you a bdc turret and mils at the same time. If conditions change drastically, you can alcohol and change or tear tape and change, all the while having the mil marks still on the turret.

With a ballistic rangefinder, this is pretty much a mute point, but some of them take forever to give you dope when cold. Also, if a cartridge works out to 1 mil per hundred yards, quick drop works well. Fast cartridges are more like .7-.8 mils per 100 yards until you get way out there.

atmat

WKR
To error is human. I have made some bad mistakes. But BDC turrets are limiting to me and I seen some real shit shows with them. Using Mils is simple with zero limitations and you have a simple BDC in your head.
I don’t think he suggested a BDC turret — I think he suggested just writing your values on your otherwise-standard-mils turret, as described below:

A silver sharpie or a thin piece of tape with marks on it will give you a bdc turret and mils at the same time.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I don’t think he suggested a BDC turret — I think he suggested just writing your values on your otherwise-standard-mils turret, as described below:
Ah!

Having backup dope is never a bad idea. But quick drop is a no brainer:)

Dobie07

FNG
“Overbore” has no functional meaning. The 6mm PRC is great, but is only about 150’ish FPS faster than a 6cm. Which, if you are trying to make up MV from a short barrel is a good thing. However, it won’t achieve the speed that a 6UM does.”

@Formidilosus
I’m curious why you would state that as an absolute. Given that overbore ratio could be one way to compare cartridges with the same bullet diameter, wouldn’t it be a functional way to infer which cartridge is likely to have longer barrel life, or inversely which would likely have higher velocity?

From what I understand, the overbore ratio is calculated as: overbore ratio = case capacity over caliber squared

For example: when comparing a 6mm BR to a 6 saum
-6 BR: 39 grains case capacity over .243 squared = 660 Overbore ratio
-6 SAUM: 72 grains over .243 squared = 1219 overbore ratio

Now if you were considering 6mm cartridges and you knew nothing about case capacity for them but knew the formula for how overbore ratio is calculated and had a table of just cartridges and all the various ratios for each, could you not infer which cartridge likely has a higher velocity and conversely relative barrel life for each cartridge? Would that not make it one functional way to help someone considering different cartridges from the same rifle caliber even if not the most optimal way in your perspective?

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
@Formidilosus I just watched the barefoot hunting podcast, and it all makes sense. However, one question I have is what do you wear when its wet/cold/snowy?
Vivo also have the Tracker Winter SG and the soon-to-be-released Tundra ESC.

I haven't tried either, and am not in snow, but have run the Tracker Forest ESC through creek crossings and mud. Regular applications of their Renapur has kept them as waterproof as any other leather hiking boot I've run before.

seand

Lil-Rokslider

Exactly. I’ve been using white turret tape (mils, not bdc) in matches so I can write lines on the turret, it’s much faster than referencing a dope card when on the clock. Would be easy to write in some quick BDC data out to 600 for hunting

Vivo also have the Tracker Winter SG and the soon-to-be-released Tundra ESC.

I haven't tried either, and am not in snow, but have run the Tracker Forest ESC through creek crossings and mud. Regular applications of their Renapur has kept them as waterproof as any other leather hiking boot I've run before.
That's great news, and for added protection, both models of the roclites on Amazon have Gore-Tex membranes. If a guy isn't picky about colors, you can get the plain grey 286 GTX for $50 and the other for $75 depending on size.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. I’ve been using white turret tape (mils, not bdc) in matches so I can write lines on the turret, it’s much faster than referencing a dope card when on the clock. Would be easy to write in some quick BDC data out to 600 for hunting
Yep

ehayes

FNG
The last couple episodes have really got me rethinking my gear. For better or for worse I try to pick up tips and tactics from hunting videos.
One particular tactic I’ve seen and my experience reinforces is Ryan Lampers usually closes the last few yards of his stalk without his pack. I’ve only ever seen him use his bipod. My experience tells me it’s quieter to do it this way than trying to move a 50+lb pack with one hand while crawling and edging into position. Or keeping the pack on and getting it off your back and into position can also be tough to do quietly if you have any dry plant material around. These animals are usually less than 400 yards.

What would be the backpack only recommendation for this scenario?

Thanks for any thoughts

The last couple episodes have really got me rethinking my gear. For better or for worse I try to pick up tips and tactics from hunting videos.
One particular tactic I’ve seen and my experience reinforces is Ryan Lampers usually closes the last few yards of his stalk without his pack. I’ve only ever seen him use his bipod. My experience tells me it’s quieter to do it this way than trying to move a 50+lb pack with one hand while crawling and edging into position. Or keeping the pack on and getting it off your back and into position can also be tough to do quietly if you have any dry plant material around. These animals are usually less than 400 yards.

What would be the backpack only recommendation for this scenario?

Thanks for any thoughts
I had this exact scenario on my Bighorn this fall. Dropped the pack and crawled forward 30 ft as the slowly sloping hill I was on offered little cover and the ram was only 180 yards away. I didn’t have a bipod, as I’m exclusively using my tripod to shoot from if needed, but it would have exposed me too much to use it here. Instead, I took off my bino harness and used it as a front rest and put my offhand under the butt of the HNT 26 to support the rear.

ehayes

FNG
I had this exact scenario on my Bighorn this fall. Dropped the pack and crawled forward 30 ft as the slowly sloping hill I was on offered little cover and the ram was only 180 yards away. I didn’t have a bipod, as I’m exclusively using my tripod to shoot from if needed, but it would have exposed me too much to use it here. Instead, I took off my bino harness and used it as a front rest and put my offhand under the butt of the HNT 26 to support the rear.
That’s a good point. I have a tripod attachment that could serve in place of the bipod. It is slower to set up than my bipod, so I’ve always brought both bipod and tripod. I wonder if I could go backpack for quick prone shooting and tripod for those less time sensitive scenarios when dealing with a pack seems cumbersome.

That’s a good point. I have a tripod attachment that could serve in place of the bipod. It is slower to set up than my bipod, so I’ve always brought both bipod and tripod. I wonder if I could go backpack for quick prone shooting and tripod for those less time sensitive scenarios when dealing with a pack seems cumbersome.
Absolutely, I feel that many people could ditch a bipod in favor of backpack shooting like Form describes in the lates podcast, as well as having an Arca or Pic rail that allows them to shoot from a tripod.

The RRS Ascend 14 with an Anvil-30 ARC head allows attachment to both Arca or Pic, and opens up long range shots on terrain that would not otherwise allow it. I often shoot and hunt in areas that are steep & rocky, with shots that are sidehill or away from the slope, which a backpack wont always allow for. Using a capable tripod that can splay the legs out and create a stable platform, and then using the backpack as the rear support, can allow for precise shooting in very awkward terrain.

Also, if you need to shoot prone, the tripod will go flat and replace the need for a bipod.
Sure a tripod is slower than using a bipod, but this is for long range shots. A backpack will work fine for anything closer.

In the case below, I was set up for a 600 yard shot on a ram that had gone into the timber. I did not know how long I would have to wait and didnt want to get any closer. This ended up being a 6 hr wait, in which the ram never materialized, but the tripod allowed me to be set up and ready within a few seconds if the opportunity presented itself.

IMG_0175 2.jpg

atmat

WKR
Absolutely, I feel that many people could ditch a bipod in favor of backpack shooting like Form describes in the lates podcast, as well as having an Arca or Pic rail that allows them to shoot from a tripod.

The RRS Ascend 14 with an Anvil-30 ARC head allows attachment to both Arca or Pic, and opens up long range shots on terrain that would not otherwise allow it. I often shoot and hunt in areas that are steep & rocky, with shots that are sidehill or away from the slope, which a backpack wont always allow for. Using a capable tripod that can splay the legs out and create a stable platform, and then using the backpack as the rear support, can allow for precise shooting in very awkward terrain.

Also, if you need to shoot prone, the tripod will go flat and replace the need for a bipod.
Sure a tripod is slower than using a bipod, but this is for long range shots. A backpack will work fine for anything closer.

In the case below, I was set up for a 600 yard shot on a ram that had gone into the timber. I did not know how long I would have to wait and didnt want to get any closer. This ended up being a 6 hr wait, in which the ram never materialized, but the tripod allowed me to be set up and ready within a few seconds if the opportunity presented itself.

View attachment 707492
Just chiming in to say that’s a mesmerizing photo.

huntnful

WKR

View attachment 707492
I haven't got on the tripod train, simply because I hate glassing from a ball head. And shooting from an arca panhead also seems less than ideal. But this is certainly a compelling view point!! Love the photo!

I haven't got on the tripod train, simply because I hate glassing from a ball head. And shooting from an arca panhead also seems less than ideal. But this is certainly a compelling view point!! Love the photo!
Feel free to message me to not derail the thread much, but I don’t glass directly from the ballhead, I throw the Tricer LP on top of it with a little Arca plate and use that for glassing. The Anvil can level the panhead easily and then you have the ultra smooth panning action of the Tricer to glass with for hours with either binos or spotter. It’s an incredibly effective system that only weighs 3 lbs-ish total weight but adds a lot of capability.

IMG_9153.jpeg

huntnful

WKR
Feel free to message me to not derail the thread much, but I don’t glass directly from the ballhead, I throw the Tricer LP on top of it with a little Arca plate and use that for glassing. The Anvil can level the panhead easily and then you have the ultra smooth panning action of the Tricer to glass with for hours with either binos or spotter. It’s an incredibly effective system that only weighs 3 lbs-ish total weight but adds a lot of capability.

View attachment 707550
Excellent explanation and picture! Something I may consider in the future. Thanks man!

eric1115

WKR

View attachment 707550
I do a budget version of this, I have a leofoto with the compact integrated leveling base (324CEX) and just mounted an arca clamp to that, and have a Small Rig panhead on an arca plate, better shooting and better glassing than any ball head I've used and not much more weight.