The warmest, toughest fleece jacket I have ever owned. And it's CHEAP.

moab

FNG
I own a ton of fleece jackets. But the best fleece jacket I have ever seen- BY FAR - is the USGI Polartec 300 fleece jacket. It will blow your mind. And would probably cost several hundred in the civilian market. Just for the super thick and durable Polartec 300 fleece fabric. But it can be had for relatively cheap as surplus. Less than $100 new. And around $50 used.

It was issued as part of the ECWCS system. They were issued to several different branches and units. USMC and NAVY included. Most were manufactured by DSCP and Pelham. Search eBay by any of this information. Or simply "USGI Polartec 300 fleece jacket".

*Only the black ones are 300wt. The green ones are 100wt.

These are the heaviest weight, most bombproof fleece jackets I have ever owned.

New for less than $100:

Screenshot_20240508_220642_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20240508_223913_eBay.jpg

Used you can find them for $50 or maybe less. Here are some used but in mint condition for $30:

(Remember a size or two smaller will fit. And Allegheny is one of the best surplus sellers there is. These are only small and medium. But medium would fit you if you were a large. Search eBay. There are a ton sellers.)

I would not hesitate to buy these used. The fabric and construction will never wearout. They are sized very large. Buy one size down. Maybe even two.

They come with heavyweight YKK zippers. AND with pit zips. And really tough, windproof nylon fabric over the arms and shoulders.

The fleece is so thick it's thicker than any other commercial fleece jacket I've ever seen. And the nylon upper shell will beat any brush - no problem. And they are cheap.

My Spartan tactical one (very similar design ) worked wonders this fall. However size wise it is the opposite and runs a bit small for size.. works well for what it is though.

I had a $30 usgi one years a go and melted a big whole in it around a fire. I bought my wife a North Face version, its around $150 jacket or more. Great jacket if its cold.

The fleece is so much thicker than any other jacket I've looked at. But I don't really look much at expensive jackets. The original 300wt fleece just seems tougher too. My Columbia fleece jackets don't even compare. It's more of a brushed fleece. The Polartec jacket is like a thick, dense pile. And every piece of stitching, wrist strap, zippers, seams - everything is over built for combat in a very cold climate.

Here's some close ups of one of mine. I think I paid $50 used for it:

img_8577.jpgimg_8579.jpgimg_8584.jpgimg_8590.jpgimg_8582.jpg

Back